Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-28-2008, 01:31 PM
 
22 posts, read 95,206 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

french isn't a useful language...unfortunately my second language is french and now abroad i find a big problem at every thing i want to do because my second language is french....in study first and now at work ...trust me you can use it just in france ..canada and some countries in africa ...and who said that algeria , morocco or tunisia speak french he's wrong ...every body speaks arabic without exception
i tell you that because i really suffered because i didn't speak an international language like english so forget learning french
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2008, 05:59 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,834 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
french isn't a useful language...
It's not what the university of virginia says :

Why study french


Quote:
unfortunately my second language is french and now abroad i find a big problem at every thing i want to do because my second language is french....in study first and now at work ...
in study and now at work ? maybe but could you tell me what other language could be useful everywhere in the world excepted english ?


Quote:
trust me you can use it just in france ..canada and some countries in africa ...
some countries in Africa ? actually, half of Africa.
You forget, switzerland, belgium, luxembourg, caraibean island, east europe.

And others where you can still find a lot of people who use it like you as a second language.


Quote:
and who said that algeria , morocco or tunisia speak french he's wrong ...every body speaks arabic without exception
Absolutely not, I said it, and I repeat it, a part of my family live there, I don't think you will tell me what is the language spoken by my own family....

Algeria is the place among the three you cited where the french language is the most used.





Quote:
i tell you that because i really suffered because i didn't speak an international language like english so forget learning french
lol



Actually, as english, french is everywhere. I'm feel sorry for you if you are incapable to make it a weapon in your research of a job.

For you here is a map where french is present, who knows it can help you :



Interesting isn't it, for someone who says the french is not spoken I find this map quiete impressive actually.

And a little document for you about algeria : wikipedia, langue en algérie

Algerie is the second biggest french speaking country in the world after France with about 22 million of french speaker.

22 millions and you didn't find just one ! ! ! But you know it's worst than you think , since according the last study made by the minister of education in algeria, the english decrease each year more and more....

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-30-2008 at 09:53 PM.. Reason: read our Terms of Service regarding copyright and English-only policies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:15 AM
 
5,781 posts, read 11,879,188 times
Reputation: 4661
No, caseras, my French friend, I beg to disagree with you, yes French is QUITE widespread (about 200 million francophones, let's put it to 300 million with the foreign students- that's the US population-impressive, yes, overwhelming, no), but -leaving English and Chinese, world champions, apart, Arabic, Russian, Spanish are AS MUCH widespread, and Portuguese make it to more than 200 million, Hindi 500 million, Bahasa Indonesia, 200 million, and even German (using the same criteria including the foreign students not necessarily fluent in the language) 150 million!
Let's say that French in terms of numbers is among the important languages of the world-that's a feat, for sure! But don't try to make it what it's not, the "lingua franca" (no pun intended) of the whole human species!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:21 AM
 
22 posts, read 95,206 times
Reputation: 30
first i'm from algeria and i have just come from it so you can't tell me wich language my own country speaks.
second, not all belgium speaks French ... you forget the Flemish. other thing, the party who speaks French is the poor part in belgium, the same thing for the party in canada who speaks French it's poor and the rich who speaks English .
thirth when I was in my country or even in france I needed a bibliography on my studies, all the news .. all search were in English and I really soufered because my second language is French ... even the French are suffering from this problem because they believe that their language is important and will not hesitate to learn English so they fall into the trap.
I repete and I repete the French language is outdated and I know what I say. i hope that our country realize this problem and we do start studying English as a second language and not the French
another thing I think you're French, so please be civilized and begins to accept the opinions of others because it is a public forum and not a place battle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caseras View Post
lol you are like a dog with a bones Well you want to be right ! I don't mind, talk to someone else, but let me tell you that excepted some facts all your conclusion are biaised.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:40 AM
 
Location: in the southwest
13,395 posts, read 45,040,524 times
Reputation: 13599
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
I repete and I repete the French language is outdated and I know what I say. i hope that our country realize this problem and we do start studying English as a second language and not the French
Sarah--do you mean you hope that Algeria begins to study English rather than French?
These posts have been interesting to me. Our older son majored in French and is working in France now as a translator. He does recognize the importance of other languages, though--he has thought about learning Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:48 AM
 
22 posts, read 95,206 times
Reputation: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Sarah--do you mean you hope that Algeria begins to study English rather than French?
These posts have been interesting to me. Our older son majored in French and is working in France now as a translator. He does recognize the importance of other languages, though--he has thought about learning Arabic.
yes i mean what i mean,there people really pay very much money to translate from english to french ..i was there and i souffered from the same problem because every thing important is in english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2008, 07:53 AM
 
22 posts, read 95,206 times
Reputation: 30
And a little document for you about algeria : wikipedia, langue en algérie

Algerie is the second biggest french speaking country in the world after France with about 22 million of french speaker.

22 millions and you didn't find just one ! ! ! But you know it's worst than you think , since according the last study made by the minister of education in algeria, the english decrease each year more and more....[/quote]


you melange things, there is a difference between speaking a language as a second language and your mother tongue ... you talk about these countries as if their mother language is French ... this is not the case
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 06:15 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,834 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
No, caseras, my French friend, I beg to disagree with you, yes French is QUITE widespread (about 200 million francophones, let's put it to 300 million with the foreign students- that's the US population-impressive, yes, overwhelming, no), but -leaving English and Chinese, world champions, apart, Arabic, Russian, Spanish are AS MUCH widespread, and Portuguese make it to more than 200 million, Hindi 500 million, Bahasa Indonesia, 200 million, and even German (using the same criteria including the foreign students not necessarily fluent in the language) 150 million!
First of all I have never said the french was the only language to be spoken in the world, and I didn't even try to say it was overwhelming.

Second of all, I have to disagree with you about some things here. If the portugese, the chinese, the russian and even the spanish are as much spoken as the french and sometimes more spoken than the french, the spanish language for example, they didn't have got the influence the french have in world organizations, international trade, world of finance and of course history.

third of all, the spanish for example is spoken by the spanish, the south america and a part of the US. There aren't any other part in the world where you are able to find a population speaking fluently the spanish langauge. The same about portugese, the people able to speak this language aren't very hard to find in their country, and their country only, since there isn't more than 4 or 5 country, and it has to being said, brazil make of this language one of the most spoken. As for chinese I believe it will be more and more present and it will become the language of tommorow but not for the moment, the russian isn't very important, actually, who in the world speak this language ? the russian, and a part of the european easteners.



Quote:
Let's say that French in terms of numbers is among the important languages of the world-that's a feat, for sure! But don't try to make it what it's not, the "lingua franca" (no pun intended) of the whole human species!
I think you didn't take my comments correctly, I have never tried to do that. I just put the facts on the board, my opinion is not really present in my claims. Facts are facts.

Just a last thing, you have maybe forget the title of the thread : which language is most beneficial to learn in global context after english.

I don't pretend I have answered to this question, but in my opinion someone saying french is nowhere is a liar. And facts prove it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 06:49 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,834 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
first i'm from algeria and i have just come from it so you can't tell me wich language my own country speaks.
Moderator cut: English only


Quote:
second, not all belgium speaks French ... you forget the Flemish. other thing, the party who speaks French is the poor part in belgium,
So what ? saying the poor part is speaking french doesn't change anything. don't forget that Bruxelles the wealthiest city in Belgium speak french up to 80 %. And again, as for the companies, they speak both language, don't forget as well the flemish people speak french for most of them.... What you say is totally stupid. On the contrary, the flemish part is today rich thanks to their ability to adapt them, their work and their skill in french.


Quote:
the same thing for the party in canada who speaks French it's poor and the rich who speaks English .
So what ? The most of the time these poor parts who speak french are richer than a lot of country.... After all who cares ? And what about spanish ? will you tell me the argentina, colombia, venezuela, are richer than belgium ? not whatsoever, and as far as I know, quebec and belgium are more important in the economic fields than these countries.

Quote:
thirth when I was in my country or even in france I needed a bibliography on my studies, all the news .. all search were in English and I really soufered because my second language is French ...
I don't know what is your country, but I can invite you to re read the title of the thread who is whcih language is most beneficial to learn in global context after english

There is something here you didn't understand, I don't say french is more important than english I just say the french is an important international language. That's it.

Frankly, you tell me when you was looking for something in France you found them in english .....



The french in english.... stop kidding me please !


Quote:
even the French are suffering from this problem because they believe that their language is important and will not hesitate to learn English so they fall into the trap.
This sentence doesn't make sens, but I think i have understood your point. Anyway, the french believe their language is importante because it is. Maybe not as much as before, but the french is still here.

Quote:
I repete and I repete the French language is outdated and I know what I say. i hope that our country realize this problem and we do start studying English as a second language and not the French
of course, any country in the world have to learn english before french. But again, could you tell me what you understand in the title of the thread ?



Moderator cut: Personal attacks like calling someone a liar are not accep[table

Last edited by Cornerguy1; 07-30-2008 at 09:56 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 AM
 
286 posts, read 1,400,834 times
Reputation: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah27281 View Post
you melange things, there is a difference between speaking a language as a second language and your mother tongue ... you talk about these countries as if their mother language is French ... this is not the case

who cares ? again, being the mother tongue is not important, english is not my mother tongue, but I speak it and I can understand it, that is the same reason why english is very very important. If it was not the case, then chinese could be the only international language according to your standard

Last edited by caseras; 07-30-2008 at 07:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top