Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 05:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,864,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by English63 View Post
without churchill you would be posting such garbage .war criminal my a**
I asked for an elaboration. That's not one!

My nomination would be Michael Collins who led the Irish Volunteers, a poorly equipped army, against the mightiest empire the world has ever known. In so doing he brought about independence for Ireland.

Other nations would do well to heed his words. "It's not the size of the dog in the fight that counts but the size of the fight in the dog"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Julius Caesar. Reasons that seem to be obvious enough. You know, starting the most powerful and most technologically advanced civilizations for their time period ever.

Old 08-22-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 3,776 times
Default english dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by snitins View Post
Whom do u think has been the best leader in the world ever? Include him/her irrespective of his time, country. He can be a politician, your team's coach or some other known personality. My vote goes for Martin Luther King Jr.
TWO PEOPLE QUALIFY FOR THIS , RONALD REAGON AND MARGERET THATCHER
THEY BOTH MADE UNPOPULAR DECISIONS AT TIMES BUT WERE STRONG LEADERS FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE COUNTRIES AND WERE ADMIRED BY MANY
EVEN BY SOME OF THEIR ENEMIES.

Old 08-22-2007, 10:25 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,310,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpeel View Post
TWO PEOPLE QUALIFY FOR THIS , RONALD REAGON AND MARGERET THATCHER
THEY BOTH MADE UNPOPULAR DECISIONS AT TIMES BUT WERE STRONG LEADERS FOR THEIR RESPECTIVE COUNTRIES AND WERE ADMIRED BY MANY
EVEN BY SOME OF THEIR ENEMIES.
I'm sorry but anyone that ruled in the past 50 years shouldn't count because the rammifications of their decisions haven't come fully to fruition. Who knows what will happen in the next 30 years directly or indirectly caused by reagan. I think it's naive to say he's the best when he ruled JUST 20 some years ago.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:10 AM

44 posts, read 287,250 times
King Booker.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:34 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,423,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serafin View Post
I've actually thought quite often about this and have come to the conclusion that there is no such person (especially when the question includes the words "the world"), because we then measure and compare that individual(s) with others persons that come from a part the world and culture that we are most familiar with. But if we can ask, who was the best leader that most dramatically changed the staus quo of a world that needed changing, that person, without a doubt would be Mahatme Gandhi. The way he combined political savy with spiritual belief of active non-violence and non-copperation to free India from the British Raj... a feat unparrelles in history. The last part of his life (especially the last several years) reads like something out of myth and religious scripture.

After Gandhi's death, Albert Einstein said of Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarcely believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood." He also once said," I believe that Gandhi's views were the most enlightened of all the political men in our time. We should strive to do things in his spirit: not to use violence in fighting for our cause, but by non-participation in anything you believe is evil."
Okay, don't laugh - but just reading this made me cry with awe, reverence, & respect. It was worth quoting to bring attention back to it again.

Frankly, I greatly admire both Gandhi & Einstein (two of my fishies are named after them: along with Mandela, Jesus, Magdalene, Steven Biko, hmmm who am I forgetting, lol - Really, these are the names of my fish). Thank you for sharing your thoughts...

Old 08-29-2007, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Since it wasn't limited to good, I suppose that purely based on ability to get people to follow and do one's bidding that Hitler must be included on the list. I don't know if it's the clarity of hindsight or my lack of German language knowledge but everytime I see newsreel footage he seems so obviously a madman yet people followed him.
I had a bumper sticker on my car that read:

"What good fortune for a government that people fail to think!"

It was a quote of Adolf Hitler

Old 08-29-2007, 12:54 AM

I'm certain (or at least praying) that a lot of you are kidding.

Old 09-17-2008, 01:52 AM

1 posts, read 3,583 times
the best leader to me Prophet Muhammad...

Old 09-17-2008, 05:16 AM

23,857 posts, read 71,325,120 times
Tage Erlander.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World