Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2007, 01:45 AM

8 posts, read 47,330 times

Advertisements

You are also single with no strong ties to anyone. You want a change and are trying to figure out where your $1.5 million can allow you to live the rest of your years in a place or places that offers the things you enjoy doing.

So what are you interested in? where will you live so you can make the most of the things you want without breaking the bank?

Will it be one city?, settle down buy a home build a social circle. Maybe get a part time job.

Or will you be a vagabond traveling the world with 2 suitcases and a PO Box in Texas of Florida to recieve your mail and to file your tax returns from.

Or somethng in between.

Would like to hear some real creative lifestyles if thats your thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2007, 01:56 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Thumbs up Firstly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomasm View Post
You are also single with no strong ties to anyone. You want a change and are trying to figure out where your $1.5 million can allow you to live the rest of your years in a place or places that offers the things you enjoy doing.

So what are you interested in? where will you live so you can make the most of the things you want without breaking the bank?

Will it be one city?, settle down buy a home build a social circle. Maybe get a part time job.

Or will you be a vagabond traveling the world with 2 suitcases and a PO Box in Texas of Florida to recieve your mail and to file your tax returns from.

Or somethng in between.

Would like to hear some real creative lifestyles if thats your thing.
I would hire one of the best Tax Attys specializing in "Asset Protection Srategies".

They would probably advise that you divide the $$ appropriately for your personal needs; Putting 1\3 in a Swiss Bank and\or Canadian/British Bank, etc.

I would buy a "Vacation House" in Lucerne, and one in Vancouver Island, BC and somewhere in the US, Probably TN...

I would travel alot and get into more philanthropic activities...
(on a one-to-one, personal level...)

As far as being a rootless Vagabond, Gypsy or Drifter...That would not be for me. I would become a "Citizen of the World"...
Laying down roots and social circles when appropriate...

Old 05-19-2007, 02:18 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
If I had $1.5 million and was single with no ties, I would live off the interest alone. About ($75,000 year) and get a job that I enjoy for insurance purposes. Between the $75k and whatever you make at your job, I'd say that you would be pretty set. I'd rent a 1 bedroom apartment on the beach or somewhere nice. I guess that it all depends on your health and on what you like. The $75k is assuming that you put it in a CD or money market account @5%. Reality is that you would probably invest it in mutual funds or something that would give you a higher return. I was just thinking of the safest way. I wish that I had that problem though. Good Luck.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:45 AM

Smile There ARE "bags of $$" out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
If I had $1.5 million and was single with no ties, I would live off the interest alone. About ($75,000 year) and get a job that I enjoy for insurance purposes. Between the $75k and whatever you make at your job, I'd say that you would be pretty set. I'd rent a 1 bedroom apartment on the beach or somewhere nice. I guess that it all depends on your health and on what you like. The $75k is assuming that you put it in a CD or money market account @5%. Reality is that you would probably invest it in mutual funds or something that would give you a higher return. I was just thinking of the safest way. I wish that I had that problem though. Good Luck.
Hey vICE,
dON'T GIVE UP....
There is ALOT of un-marked bales of Cash "Floating" around you all the Time...
I did Real well in my "Retirement fund" when I was young in a Major City...
16 hour days do pay off...

Old 05-19-2007, 03:01 AM

8 posts, read 47,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
I would hire one of the best Tax Attys specializing in "Asset Protection Srategies".

They would probably advise that you divide the $$ appropriately for your personal needs; Putting 1\3 in a Swiss Bank and\or Canadian/British Bank, etc.

I would buy a "Vacation House" in Lucerne, and one in Vancouver Island, BC and somewhere in the US, Probably TN...

I would travel alot and get into more philanthropic activities...
(on a one-to-one, personal level...)

As far as being a rootless Vagabond, Gypsy or Drifter...That would not be for me. I would become a "Citizen of the World"...
Laying down roots and social circles when appropriate...
Buying 3 houses with insurance and maintenance costs will run down that $1.5mm pretty quickly.

Old 05-19-2007, 03:07 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,400,531 times
I'll never give up, but I'll pass on the "floating cash" That's just a misconception anyway. Even if there were, I wouldn't risk my freedom, reputation and embarass my family. I try to avoid the 16 hour shifts too. Family comes before work anytime.

Old 05-19-2007, 04:25 AM

Quote:
Buying 3 houses with insurance and maintenance costs will run down that $1.5mm pretty quickly.
I should have added; Inexpensive, small and "Transparent"...And...You need to Consider since You WON"T have to make a LIVING, you will not need to live in an expensive city to work...

Old 05-19-2007, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami Vice View Post
I'll never give up, but I'll pass on the "floating cash" That's just a misconception anyway. Even if there were, I wouldn't risk my freedom, reputation and embarass my family. I try to avoid the 16 hour shifts too. Family comes before work anytime.
Just a "Tonque in Cheek",
Best Wishes, Miami!

BTW--My Dad and I would never have taken $1 or $10 mil(Unaccounted for, No way to find "Owner" $...
Just the way he was, and I honor him for that...

Old 05-19-2007, 04:34 AM

Default You will still...

Quote:
Have to Be Frugal and Sensible, and live on a Budget...Of Course...

Old 05-19-2007, 04:41 AM

Cool Or if you choose...

Quote:
Take the 1.5 invest in "Securities NOT reliant on any one .govs future,
Buy a small home and;

Do whatever you do best...if anything!

You ASKED "What would "WE" Do...
So don't ARGUE about "our" Opinions...YMMV!!!!

Or since you sound so "SlipShod"---Get it over with and Donate it to a worthwhile charity...Shoosh...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World