Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 03:41 AM

104 posts, read 273,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAZILIAN View Post
I think this is very funny. It's same thing "past lifes therapy".
Why does everyone feel that this "experience" always think they have lived in Europe or another good place.
I never heard anyone to say that feels lived in Ethiopia, Somalia or any other very poor country?? Why is it??

Er ah, did you read the post just before you about the person moving to Mexico? Do you consider Mexico a monetarily rich country??

But besides that, I think that is an inaccurate observation. Plenty of people are physically and psychologically drawn to places like China, Africa, South America and the Middle East, (as I do).

So I don't agree with that statement.

btw: I am not suggesting this phenomena is proof of reincarnation– just evidence. There are loads of books documenting children knowing a village they have never visited before or speaking a foreign language they have never been exposed to etc..

if you are interested, start here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reincarnation

and here...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty_..._Reincarnation

Last edited by ejlorge; 01-17-2010 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 03:59 AM

104 posts, read 273,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fuready View Post
Visited Guadaljara, Mexico for the first time in 2005 and I instinctively knew that this was where I should be living. Quit my job and relocated. Three years later....no regrets.

That's great. I love hearing stories like this about people who just pick up and move or radically change their lives based on an intuitive whim. That is living life to the fullest.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:05 AM

3,037 posts, read 5,928,281 times
For some reason, New Orleans seems to be a 'good fit' for me. I dont just mean the frat-boy Bourbon St stuff..I hate Bourbon St. Theres a lot more to that city than Bourbon St and it feels like a place I could maybe put down roots.

I dont know about reincarnation. Apparently I was a viking woman way back when. I used to really like the cold, but living in a draughty damp house cured me of that. I certainly dont have a desire to pillage and plunder in New Orleans.

I can understand visiting a place and feeling as if you've 'come home'. My SO and I hope to make a move similar to fuready. No use fretting about 'what ifs', we're taking steps to make it happen.

Old 01-18-2010, 05:16 PM

25 posts, read 86,906 times
Well, I've gone places and felt MISERABLE -- just as I do where I live now -- so I suppose that's a "yes" to the OP's question.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:09 AM

467 posts, read 712,907 times
A lot of my ancestry is czech, and when I went to Prague, I felt pretty comfortable there..

Old 01-19-2010, 10:20 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,615,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlorge View Post
Have you ever had the impression that you lived a past life in a foreign country or city?

For example, you have had a strong affinity for a certain culture, you then go to visit the country or city and you feel very comfortable there and have the distinct feeling you have lived there before (?)

NOTE: This thread is NOT meant for discussing the validity or invalidity of reincarnation.
Not really. I went to Europe and had a great time but I definitely did not feel "one" with Europeans. Everything was VERY foreign to me and nothing looked or felt like home. I'm glad that I was never reincarnated from Europe. I would have wanted to stay there!

But I do find it strange that the first time I ever was learning German, I picked it up rather easily and spoke with a scarily accurate accent. I had only been exposed to German few times in my life few times before learning it. So it was pretty scary how "good" I was. Not tooting my own horn but seriously. I know I wasn't German in my past life. Maybe I spoke it? Who knows. I don't totally believe the reincarnation thing but I do believe it has some points.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:41 PM

228 posts, read 810,095 times
I always had this obsessioin with Brazil... I love everything about Brazil... I feel that is where I belong...

Old 02-24-2010, 08:42 AM

10,745 posts, read 23,801,634 times
I'm a New Englander and have lived in Massachusetts most of my life yet paradoxicly feel like a fish out of water at times and always have. I like Boston, but was neverly pasionately in love with the city. I feel I was a pioneer in a past life because I've always been drawn to the natural superlatives of the western states. I lived in Seattle for 5 years and adapted to life very quickly out there. When I moved back here (family reasons) to the east coast I found it much more diufficult to re-adapt to living here again. I love Colorado, and Northern California as well.

I have no French bloodlines in my ancestry however I am also very drawn to francophone culture. I love French food, envy French lifestyle, and French is the only foreign language I've studied. I have travelled all over Canada, Vancouver, Calgary, Ontario, Montreal & Quebec City, Nova Scotia. I like Vancouver a lot for it's natural superlatives but Quebec City hit's my heart to the core. Toronto doesn't do a thing for me. I always preferred Montreal and even moreso Quebec City as my favorite, places that I love and want to return to again and again. The only traveling I have aever done abroad is to London and Paris. I loved Paris and preferred it 10 times more than London. There are several destinations all over France I yearn to see.

So in past incarnations I would definitely say I was a western pioneer and a French connection.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:41 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,282,934 times
I had a past life feeling today about India. In the 4th grade for Halloween I put a bindi on my forehead. Although I like Tibet I don't feel as strong a connection. I also have never had a feeling about China.

For several years I've thought that my family has ties to France. My mom married my stepdad Jack (Jacque) and my sister named her kid Allie-- don't know why but sounds French to me. My family is German. My mom says she is a reincarnated Native American.

Old 02-24-2010, 07:24 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,034,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I believe such affinities are based on subtle enculturation. That is, one is exposed to dribs and drabs of the cultural ephemera of a place, these 'culturelets' are appreciated but not necessarily connected, and then one day when one is exposed to the culture in more grand way, such as visiting said country, one feels a sense of belonging.

For many people in America, this is the place of their ancestors because cultural traditions from their ancestral homeland that have persisted in their family's practices are brought to the surface when said persons start 'exploring the world'. For many Europeans the 'adopted' culture is one held by the ancestors of immigrants in their community.

I think that it is more common in people who react negatively to their own culture (or lack any cultural identity which is becoming more common in our consumerist, multicultural society).

I also believe this phenomenon is mainly Western since Western culture places a high value on xenophilia. I think it is rare for a Japanese person to say 'I must really be French!' or for a Kenyan to say, 'I believe I must have been Hindu in a previous life!'

ABQConvict
I believe that happened with me and merry olde England. Because of cultural exposure I feel like I should have been born an Englishman about the year 1880 (ah bliss!) well as long as I was a well off, snobby old gent who lived in a country estate and played croquet . I know Australia is an offshoot to Britain but I seem to relate much more to British culture, the lovely green countryside, quaintness and history, and the whole rather melancholy persona. Australia is a great place to live, don't get me wrong, but I don't feel I belong as much here. I don't have any ancestry from that part of the world. I feel the same about other northern hemispheric locales like North America, East Asia etc so maybe it's more that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World