Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2014, 11:57 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,548,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repubocrat View Post
The Government is not going to declare a war on its own people. If the US Government ever tried something like this, the Military would turn against the Commander In Chief. I know several people in the Marines, the US Air Force and most soldiers hate O'Bama because he is a pansy Liberal.

We have more people here in the USA with military training and access to guns than any other country in the world, so the Government would be very stupid to fight a war against its people if it ever does. We have over 1000 Anti-Government militias and they have been growing out of control since Barry O'Bummer took over.

In European countries and other countries with no gun rights, there would be 0 resistance. That is why all these Commie and Far Left Wing Governments always promote disarming the population, it is the the first step towards tyranny.
You are living in a little boys fantasy world. Military training is useless if you don't have the equipment, which the gov't does….talking about the BIG guns.

Besides, name a confrontation that these militia people have had and won?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Country without guns will be safer? OMG! Do you think criminals would have no access to guns if the US decided to ban guns?

Detroit is the perfect example of a place that is becoming safer because gun ownership is being encouraged by its police chief, James Craig

"Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies than it did last year, and Police Chief James Craig is crediting armed citizens for the drop"

If anybody tried to break into my home, they would be greeted with a 9mm, so basically you would have to be very stupid to break into a home in the USA nowadays.
You don't know how sad this sounds to the rest of the civilized world. Just the fact that you need a gun shows to many a failed society.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:01 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
Quote:
Country without guns will be safer? OMG! Do you think criminals would have no access to guns if the US decided to ban guns?

Detroit is the perfect example of a place that is becoming safer because gun ownership is being encouraged by its police chief, James Craig

"Detroit has experienced 37 percent fewer robberies than it did last year, and Police Chief James Craig is crediting armed citizens for the drop"

If anybody tried to break into my home, they would be greeted with a 9mm, so basically you would have to be very stupid to break into a home in the USA nowadays.
Crime in the UK started declining very sharply around the same time owning a firearm was made illegal. Whether it's a coincidence or causation is up for debate, but guns are absolutely not necessary in any society for any reason (except in police forces - but only in life-threatening situations), and if you feel the need to own a gun in order to have a sense of security, then there are wider societal problems at play here. Personally I can sleep at night without a gun under my pillow.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:04 PM

2,339 posts, read 2,931,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Besides, name a confrontation that these militia people have had and won?
Fighting a civilian population is basically fighting a guerrilla war and historically those did not turn out well for large aggressors like the US. The reason why Nazi Germany, despite having the most advanced army in the day, never occupied Switzerland is exactly for this reason. All of off the Swiss male population had military training and a gun at home so they would be facing a huge guerrilla army.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:06 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Crime in the UK started declining very sharply around the same time owning a firearm was made illegal. Whether it's a coincidence or causation is up for debate, but guns are absolutely not necessary in any society for any reason (except in police forces - but only in life-threatening situations), and if you feel the need to own a gun in order to have a sense of security, then there are wider societal problems at play here. Personally I can sleep at night without a gun under my pillow.
Do we have your permission to own a gun because we like shooting as a hobby?

Old 08-25-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Oh no no that isnt what you said

you said right to own a gun for protection often leads to innocent citizens getting killed.

that is false, there is an estimated 200 million registered guns in America if most of those guns lead to innocent citizens getting killed we would have a crazy high murder rate and a population of about 100 million

In denial that we are not all out on the streets killing each other? yes i guess so.

sorry when i see non-Americans attempt to talk about American culture like they know what they are talking about (when they obviously don't) i feel the need to correct them.

Why do you care? you think i sit here and worry about what kind of stuff goes on in the UK? no i honestly don't care what goes on over there, so why do so many people complain about us even when they don't even live here? not saying you shouldn't complain about us but i am just curious...
Considering I've been visiting the US since 1964 and cant' even count the amount of visits, have family there and have a pretty good idea what American Culture is.
You are in the forest and you can't see the trees. Of course there are many places in the US that are really nice and yes safe, but we are not talking about enclaves where one can hide their head in the sand.
We are talking about your country on a NATIONAL level, as one people.
I know the US is severely disabled and divided and you as a people are no longer one and have become a dog eat dog society in many ways, but bear with me.

You state " in denial that we are not all out on the streets killing each other ? " You're proving the point I made. You are in denial that the US has the worse gun violence than any other developed country.

U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds - ABC News

Don't you care about your country? You're happy with the status quo because it hasn't effected you. That is my point.

Last edited by Natnasci; 08-25-2014 at 12:25 PM..

Old 08-25-2014, 12:20 PM

24,128 posts, read 24,801,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Fighting a civilian population is basically fighting a guerrilla war and historically those did not turn out well for large aggressors like the US. The reason why Nazi Germany, despite having the most advanced army in the day, never occupied Switzerland is exactly for this reason. All of off the Swiss male population had military training and a gun at home so they would be facing a huge guerrilla army.
But Nazi Germany invaded Yugoslavia, though the same reasons were there as well. In 1940 almost all European nations had a conscript army.

Germany didn't invade Switzerland because there was no need or time for that matter.

For contemporary Western Europe, there isn't a government that would be ready to kill its citizens just to clinch onto power. The whole argument is out of this wo... continent.

Anyway, on topic now. As I live in a country with a relatively high gun ownership, some more ideas. Though the high number per capita, the gun laws are very strict. To own a hunting rifle, you must be a part of a hunting club, or if a sports shooter, a registered member of a shooting club. Before you get your permit you have to go through a psychiatric evaluation, and a interview with the police as well. You may not have a criminal record or recent or semi-recent problems with depression. The guns has to be locked away at all times, the bolt dissassembled and the cartridges in a separate place. You may not carry your weapon in public, or even your own property. Even carrying a baseball bat in public with the clear intention of not going to play baseball is a criminal offence, and the bat classified as a weapon.

No concealed carry ready to fire, no open carry, no weapons loaded in the drawer, and no automatic weapons. Even the cops use MP5's that are set available only on single-round fire. And the truth is - there isn't a single person in this country who would need a gun for safety. Gun related violence is extremely rare, almost nonexistant, and I can't remember a single person being shot by a hunter's hunting rifle.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
In the US I think it would be different. Fighting your own people, as horrible as it sounds, gives you more control on your home turf. It won't be easy, and it will be messy, but I don't see it ending well for these homegrown, unregulated militia's.

Switzerland's militia most likely played a part but, there were a few reason's why Hitler didn't invade. Very tough terrain with mountain roads, and the fact that Switzerland was remaining neutral helped in the Nazi's banking and trade, not to mention a safe place to store and sell stolen treasures.

Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,494,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Considering I've been visiting the US since 1964 and cant' even count the amount of visits, have family there and have a pretty good idea what American Culture is.
You are in the forest and you can't see the trees. Of course there are many places in the US that are really nice and yes safe, but we are not talking about enclaves where one can hide their head in the sand.
We are talking about your country on a NATIONAL level, as one people.
I know the US is severely disabled and divided and you as a people are no longer one and have become a dog eat dog society in many ways, but bear with me.

You state " in denial that we are not all out on the streets killing each other ? " You're proving the point I made. You are in denial that the US has the worse gun violence than any other developed country.

U.S. Has More Guns – And Gun Deaths – Than Any Other Country, Study Finds - ABC News

Don't you care about your country? You're happy with the status quo because it hasn't effected you. That is my point.
No,

I said "in denial that we are not all out on the streets killing each other"

Your link -
10.2 gun related deaths per 100,000 people...

Old 08-25-2014, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Do we have your permission to own a gun because we like shooting as a hobby?
I can shoot as a hobby in Canada..AFTER going through very stringent processes and belong to a gun club and have to store my handgun in a locked box and not having my ammunition at home but at the gun club.

Restricted Firearms - Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World