Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Important is weather in choosing where you live?
Very important. It is one of the biggest deciding factors. 44 51.16%
Fairly important, but as long as the weather is just decent, then I don't really care. 30 34.88%
Not really that important, other factors matter a lot more. 11 12.79%
Don't even consider it really. 1 1.16%
Voters: 86. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 07:47 PM

8,863 posts, read 8,434,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
The risk is still quite small overall. Japan only has a 13% risk which isn't much. Also, Taiwan is quite prepared for typhoons when they do strike so it is not that big a deal as you expect them almost every year. As far as the hot weather, how was I able to go hiking in Hong Kong at the end of June which has the same summer weather as Taiwan if it is too hot to stand outside?
About 8 years ago typhoon Morakot struck here and hundreds of people died, including a village being completely wiped out, so they could be quite deadly.

If you go hiking, there'd be trees covering up the sun, there wouldn't be that much traffic, and the altitude would make the temperature go down. I was referring to the cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 PM

23 posts, read 14,031 times
I live in a hot place. There are 9 months are hot and 3 months of it are cold. And of course the winter is closing. So whether I want to out then I need bear Umbrella because anytime rain can attack. So, I need to be prepared earlier.

Old 04-20-2017, 06:18 AM

7,502 posts, read 6,284,169 times
it is important but not fundamental. I'd rather live in a place with seasons anyway, so most of Europe will do.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,297,247 times
For me, weather is a major factor in choosing where to live. If I was younger with no family ties I would probably move somewhere that has 4 seasons but not to the extreme. No regular blizzards or killing heat waves, no tornados, earthquakes, flash floods. That probably leaves very little places to live in the USA. I once googled "which USA city has had the least amount of natural disasters". The answer was some city in Ohio. Uh, no thank you.

I live in Florida and people always think we get hurricanes all the time. I've lived here on an off since 1960 (right after Hurricane Donna) and we haven't had a direct hit since then. We had Hurricane Charley which was a close hit but the worst damage we sustained was a new sapling fell over.

If it wasn't for the humidity from June-October, I would probably love it here more than I do. Well, that and I miss autumn, it was always my favorite time of year up north. But of course at the end of a long, cold winter spring is beautiful also.

Old 04-22-2017, 03:22 PM

6,843 posts, read 10,953,673 times
It is a small factor, not an overwhelming one.

My take on weather is if you're fortunate to just pick and choose a city for yourself, you should start looking for city qualities that you want first. Things like museums, if you're interested in them (I am). Orchestras, if you love classical music (I do). City parks and greenspaces, if you're into those (I am). Employment situations, airports, housing, what sort of infrastructure you're able to live with and things like that (I do). In addition to a definable culinary scene and nightlife scene (a requirement of mine), as well as it always being a plus point if the city is full of people from around the globe (not a requirement of mine but it helps to have this substantially).

After those things are out of the way, then I look into climate and topography. It's always ideal if you can find a place that has a little bit of everything you want, both city related qualities like the ones I mentioned in the paragraph above but also in addition to that, the natural setting qualities like climate and topography (scenery) as well. However, it isn't the end of the world if a city has a climate or topography that isn't up to your standards as long as it is able to produce in other aspects with regard to what you want out of a city. That's why I'm pretty content with London, one of my favorite cities all around because the city related qualities are tough to beat.

However with that being said, that's why, for me, a place like Sydney, a place like Melbourne, and a place like Miami does it even more so. All three have everything I'm looking for to a T. If Barcelona was a city in the English speaking world, it would be up there with those three as well, actually would be above them, but it isn't a city in the English speaking world therefore is just right below those three to me. In addition to Tel-Aviv, but I haven't been to Tel-Aviv to know for sure, my impression is that it checks all of the boxes that I have for "city requirements."

Last edited by Trafalgar Law; 04-22-2017 at 03:34 PM..

Old 04-22-2017, 04:23 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,367,193 times
Climate is very important to me in choosing a place to live.

Old 04-22-2017, 05:13 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,892,628 times
Climate is one major factor I look at when deciding where to move.

I need to live in a place with 4 distinct seasons. I prefer cooler summers and like a location that gets a great deal of snowfall in the winter. I don't like a lot of sunshine and also enjoy somewhat damp climates.

I love the climate in places like Erie, PA; Syracuse, NY; Oswego, NY and some areas of Northern VT and NH.

I would go crazy in the desert Southwest or Deep South.

Old 04-23-2017, 08:35 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,375,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
For me, weather is a major factor in choosing where to live. If I was younger with no family ties I would probably move somewhere that has 4 seasons but not to the extreme. No regular blizzards or killing heat waves, no tornados, earthquakes, flash floods. That probably leaves very little places to live in the USA. I once googled "which USA city has had the least amount of natural disasters". The answer was some city in Ohio. Uh, no thank you.

I live in Florida and people always think we get hurricanes all the time. I've lived here on an off since 1960 (right after Hurricane Donna) and we haven't had a direct hit since then. We had Hurricane Charley which was a close hit but the worst damage we sustained was a new sapling fell over.

If it wasn't for the humidity from June-October, I would probably love it here more than I do. Well, that and I miss autumn, it was always my favorite time of year up north. But of course at the end of a long, cold winter spring is beautiful also.
The entire Florida peninsula is prone to Hurricanes but no single spot in Florida ever sees that many landfalls. Most of the deadliest US hurricanes have hit the Gulf Coast; 1900 Galveston Texas hurricane, Hurricane Camille in Mississippi in 1969 and Hurricane Katrina in Louisiana in 2005.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World