Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2010, 12:26 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,336,408 times

Advertisements

For all you frequent travelers, I wonder which countries had the cleanest, best public bathrooms and which had the worst? I have a sort of phobia of going to the bathroom in public in some countries. My worst nightmares are the places you hear of where the toilets are essentially holes carved in the ground/floor or hog trough-style toilets where everyone sits down next to each other and does their business. So far, I've found that the USA has the best public toilets on average. I remember places in Germany that would make me pay with coins to use the toilet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 12:31 PM

43,776 posts, read 44,546,405 times
When traveling in big cities worldwide, the best places to use bathrooms/toilets are in the lobby areas of major hotels.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,336,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
When traveling in big cities worldwide, the best places to use bathrooms/toilets are in the lobby areas of major hotels.
Well yeah, but sometimes you're not always within vicinity of a hotel. I'm talking about restrooms of gas stations, convenience stores, and anything you can find. Granted, I've seen some pretty disgusting bathrooms in the USA but the sheer innovation of a porcelain bowl with a working flush handle and toilet paper is a lot compared to some places. I'm seeing way more automatic flushing systems here than I have in other countries.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:41 PM

96 posts, read 270,601 times
in thailand, most people have squat toilets and barrels of water and plastic scoops to clean themselves.
the nice hotels and clubs do have new automatic ones but they also have guys in there that give you a shoulder rub while you're doing the business.
it's their job as well as giving you towels and you giving them a tip.
but the first time, i freaked and was about to nail the guy.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:37 PM

845 posts, read 2,329,973 times
Japan has nice toilets.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:27 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,076,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidamarink View Post
For all you frequent travelers, I wonder which countries had the cleanest, best public bathrooms and which had the worst? I have a sort of phobia of going to the bathroom in public in some countries. My worst nightmares are the places you hear of where the toilets are essentially holes carved in the ground/floor or hog trough-style toilets where everyone sits down next to each other and does their business. So far, I've found that the USA has the best public toilets on average. I remember places in Germany that would make me pay with coins to use the toilet.
I can't tell you overall, but here's some anecdotal evidence:

The best public toilet facilities I've encountered were in Japan at the Kyoto train station. Both squat and western style, and the western style were the heated-seat bidet models with rotating sanitized plastic coating. No touch. TP available. Nice.

There are several tied for the worst. And by worst, I mean something that is either built for or used as a public toilet facility. Squatting in the gutter off the side of the street is the worst, but you can't really call that a public toilet.

One of the worst was high in the mountains in Xinjang Province, China. It was nothing more than an open pit with a few rickety planks set across it. You squat on the planks and then it's bombs away into the pit of -hit. Any fellow latrine users will be squatting there right beside you. Bring your own TP.

Probably even worse were the railroad tracks running out of Victoria Station in Mumbai, India. In the morning, the open gutter running beside the tracks is used by locals to do their business before going to work. Bring your own TP or use your hand.

In my experience, India wins the worst toilets competition thanks to the generally run-down plumbing everywhere, aversion to toilet paper and preference for butt-wash hose, bucket, ladle, or hand.

Old 01-24-2010, 07:20 PM

5,065 posts, read 7,517,609 times
Western china has by far the worst toilets i have encouted. I encouted a few you could smell 200m away, the "Cleaners" or whatever the people sitting in the office out the front of these facilites do, sometimes asked as much as $5Us to use something that could be best discribed as an open sewer.
The cleanest and best toilets are ive encouted are in Japan and Singapore.
For over all conveince however i would have to stick with my home (Australia), They may not be as clean as some of the ones in Asia or europe, but they are everywhere, maintain some standard of hygine, paying to go is unheard of, and they almost always have a good supply of paper.
Everytime i head overseas the first thing i put in my backpack is a roll of toilet paper.

Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,813,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adolpho View Post
Japan has nice toilets.
+1

and Japan has all computerized toilets but definitely the CLEANEST!

Old 01-24-2010, 09:02 PM

422 posts, read 1,477,827 times
best toilet experience - japan (heated seat cover, bidet with advance water/heat control, music/sounds of running water to mask the sound of peeing/sh*tting)

worst toilet experience - some rural parts of china (hole in the ground - most primitive or the public toilet with gutter and everybody just squats along the entire stretch of gutter to do their business....and there's no flush...only a trickle of water running down from one end of the gutter...so everything i.e. menstrual blood, sh*t, pee all accumulating in the gutter. and if that's not bad enough....some people don't even bother to do their business in the gutter...but instead would sh*t on the floor!!!!)

Old 01-24-2010, 10:23 PM

23,269 posts, read 29,122,945 times
I can't really recall going to a stinky, disgusting bathroom in much of Mexico, Central America or South America, as most of the public facilities I used you paid as you entered or exited, and there was always one or two people there to keep it clean. You pay a little extra for toilet paper.

I was recently using the light rail in Dallas, used a public restroom at one of their rail stops and I've never seen such a disgusting restroom anywhere.
Not only that, the light was broken inside, and I had to leave the door open a crack for some light. Scarey, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World