Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2010, 01:07 PM

5 posts, read 4,968 times

Advertisements

Hi. So I've always had this extreme desire to study abroad in High School to experience other cultures and maybe even pick up a language. I know a little bit of spanish (learning in public school) and I am from the US. I have also had a goal since forever to one day become fluent in spanish so I won't have to think so hard. But I really don't think I'd be comfortable in Mexico or Costa Rica (not trying to be racist at all but i'm a pale redhead and I just don't know that I would be comfortable) since I come from texas and well, I've already been to those 2 places.

I want to go to so many places and I have time because I'm just now registering for High School but I just want to plan ahead and get an idea of what I need to do to acheive that goal. I'm a bit lost on what you need but do you need a scholarship and how do you get one?

Well.. I just thought you should know about my interests

1. I'm an Irish dancer and I'd like to pursue that a little bit more but I don't know that I should go to Ireland because I am part irish and my aunt makes me attend st. patricks day parades and I love Ireland and I want to visit so much but I already know a lot about the culture and I just don't know that I would get that much out of it. I would like too but would the guidance counselors allow that? I hope to end up going there anyways one day so I don't know that I should go there.
2. I want to be a conservationist/environmentalist and I have since I was four.

I just don't know where to go. I guess I'm just looking for advice and maybe suggestions as where to go and stuff. If you could that would be great. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2010, 01:16 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
Contact the Rotary Club in your city. They are usually the ones that handle study abroad programs for high school students. But study abroad programs for high school kids are limited in some ways, particularly because most HS kids are underage and because it's harder to work with schools (especially public) in the transfer of HS credit. I'm sure you would love Ireland, so do a Google search for high school exchange programs there. Do note though, that anywhere in the UK or Australia are probably the most frequently desired study abroad programs for American students, so you'd probably have a lot of competition applying for a program in those countries.

I don't think you would need to be worried about studying in Latin America because of the way you look. Especially if you're in a bigger city, most people have been exposed to "pale white people" and they probably have some of their own who look like you. The crime is only bad in particular areas. A country like Argentina would be great for you as well.

Old 01-24-2010, 01:22 PM

Yes. I am considering there as well. I love the architecture. I may not go to the public high school but I am extremely set on doing this. Lol

Old 01-24-2010, 01:23 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,331,316 times
How old are you? Some programs have age limits as well.

http://www.studyabroad.com/programs/high_school/ireland

Old 01-24-2010, 01:29 PM

I'm 14. I'm not planning on doing it anytime soon just hopefully sophomore year. I just need to shoot for good grades and even plan ahead.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:46 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
Why you don't just wait to get to college like me? I remember last year when I was a freshman I was saying the EXACT same thing as you! I wanted to study abroad in Switzerland. Why? Because I have family history over there and it's a really beautiful country and I was desperate for new scenes. But after a while and pep talk from random city-data users, I got smart and just decided to forget it and just wait for college. After all, it's ALOT of money to study abroad especially while in HS and too many papers to sign and alot of other crap. When your in college, there's hundreds of opportunities to go abroad and do whatever you want! I know HS is really sucky right now but you should try to make the best of it! Seriously. The number you have to stay in HS gets smaller and closer to the end every year! And if you think about just trying to finish so you can have fun in the summer, it makes things really easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World