Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times

Advertisements

It probably depends where you come from. From my German point of view, I would say Canada, and Canada only, although Canadians might think differently.

When you cross the border from the USA to Canada it looks all the same to me. Maybe there is less billboard advertising in Canada. They even have the same accent, as I am constantly unable to tell the difference.

The UK is completely different, with some architectural similarities in the American Northeast. I have not been to Australia yet but from what I have seen on TV and movies that country seems to be more British than American, and they have an accent which close to UK English (at least here I can keep them apart).

Some people say Germany was similar. Although Germany has been americanised for the last 60 years in many areas, I don't think Germany is similar. But again this may be seen differently by others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,980,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
It probably depends where you come from. From my German point of view, I would say Canada, and Canada only, although Canadians might think differently.

When you cross the border from the USA to Canada it looks all the same to me. Maybe there is less billboard advertising in Canada. They even have the same accent, as I am constantly unable to tell the difference.

The UK is completely different, with some architectural similarities in the American Northeast. I have not been to Australia yet but from what I have seen on TV and movies that country seems to be more British than American, and they have an accent which close to UK English (at least here I can keep them apart).

Some people say Germany was similar. Although Germany has been americanised for the last 60 years in many areas, I don't think Germany is similar. But again this may be seen differently by others.
As an Australian I dont think the Australian accent is close to UK English. Australia does not even resemble Britian either esp with the weather and buildings.

There is an difference between Canadian and American accents.

Old 04-27-2011, 05:23 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post
Sometimes.

Actually I get irked about that...as I'm from the Great Lakes region of the Midwest. We also say 'eh', and 'pop' and everything that Canadians claim to be 'Canadian'.

There are about 30-50 million people in and around the Great Lakes region of the U.S.....depending on what a person counts as the region.

So, in short, Canadians don't sound like Texans or South Carolinans or anything like that. But most Canadians sound almost identical to a population of Americans that is greater in number to all of Canada.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:06 AM

985 posts, read 1,853,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

Off course there is a difference, but, as I said above, I am unable to distinguish them. Most Germans can't.

I would even say that many British people have difficulties in keeping Canadian and American accents apart if they are not exposed to them. At least I was told so.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:48 AM

26,874 posts, read 37,997,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geggo View Post
Off course there is a difference, but, as I said above, I am unable to distinguish them. Most Germans can't.

I would even say that many British people have difficulties in keeping Canadian and American accents apart if they are not exposed to them. At least I was told so.
This is very true. To be quite honest, many Canadians themselves sometimes have difficulty telling Americans and Canadians from certain regions of either country apart based on accents. (Though most would never admit it.)

Old 04-27-2011, 08:50 AM

278 posts, read 621,802 times
Similarities = Healthcare, Architecture, Political System, and Demographic of the population.

Canada= Britain in Healthcare, Political system, and demographics (OZ the same)

The USA is not = to the UK in healthcare, Political System, Architecture, nor Demographics.

Canada and OZ are still two territories of the queen Eli 2. (head of state)

The USA has states that were former british colonies, remember that the US is a union of states and territories, and many of those states were spanish, or french colonies.

Of course, English is the language of the US, but still, the fact that us nationals speak english doesnt mean that the U.S. is similar to the U.K. Even Bahamians speak English, and many other regions of the continent, and that doesnt make them similar to the UK.

Canada is similar to the USA only Architecturally. In Politics, Canada is like the UK, in healthcare too, Canadians might have an architecture similar to the USA (in many cases) but Canadians share the mentality of UK people and that´s why canadians have a safety net compared to UK people (Safety net = high minimum wage + universal healthcare + efficient mass transit system [a car ISNT a must]).
Life in the USA without a car is impossible. Universal healthcare in the USA is always rejected. Efficient mass transist systems in USA are rejected by OIL companies, who want US people to spend money and money on gas, making people drive, and this is a serious cause for obesity. I think UK people and Canadians walk more on a daily basis, their cities are built so that you can get from point A to B walking, taking a BUS, subway, TRAm, etc. Of course, U.S. cities such as NYC are an exception, but NYC is tiny compared to the huge country the USA is. The USA has a mentality of the bigger the better, the muscle car, all stores are huge (I love walmart btw), the coffee shops look like stores. Everything has to be squared built, to be more efficient so that 300 million people can move faster to work and convenience is a must, cookie cutter homes, an ideal way to build lots of neighborhoods without really puting effort in the quality and charm of what could be done structurally and architecturally speaking (charm), etc.

The us is a powerful and rich country, but I dont think it is similar to the UK. The US developed its own style, a style that had to be embraced to adjust the massive immigrant population waves that received the USA over its history.

Now, Australia is similar to the UK in demographics, accent, healthcare and political systems. Architecturally speaking they are modern and also have state of the art mass transit systems (Trams, buses, name it similar to the UK and Europe).

Lastly, in sports, the U.S. isnt at all like the UK, the concept of Football is a good example.

Last edited by Venezuelan; 04-27-2011 at 09:23 AM..

Old 04-27-2011, 09:15 AM

1,007 posts, read 2,013,869 times
So what country do you think Australia is closest to? Canada? UK?

Old 04-27-2011, 09:29 AM

278 posts, read 621,802 times
OZ is similar to both the UK and Canada. in demographics Australia is the country of the new world with the highest percent of its population being British blooded. Queen eli 2 is head of state, accent is similar to the UK, and Brits still relocate to Oz as of 2011. OZ is like an extension of the UK.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:39 AM

1,574 posts, read 5,114,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZpharmer View Post
So what country do you think Australia is closest to? Canada? UK?
I think Australia is actually closest to Canada, although it is far far more British than Canada is.

Australia is a relatively small population within a large country, and urban population (like Canada). Demographically, I agree Australian big cities and Canadian big cities have alot more in common. Also, Australian & Canadian big cities have a similar mindset regarding public transportation. These are major factors in the overall culture of the country.

An interesting note is that in big Canadian and Australian cities- you see alot of average women walking out and about at night- this is much less prevalent in the US...so there is a similarity that way too.

However, I do think there are significant cultural differences. This is where Canada becomes most similar to the (Northern) US- regarding sports, food, tastes in other cultural aspects, etc etc. and are almost indistinguishable from their US counterparts outside of politics/ religion/ accent.

Oh and Canadians are portrayed as much less rowdy as Australians

Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 AM

241 posts, read 742,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venezuelan View Post
Life in the USA without a car is impossible. Universal healthcare in the USA is always rejected. Efficient mass transist systems in USA are rejected by OIL companies, who want US people to spend money and money on gas, making people drive, and this is a serious cause for obesity. I think UK people and Canadians walk more on a daily basis, their cities are built so that you can get from point A to B walking, taking a BUS, subway, TRAm, etc. Of course, U.S. cities such as NYC are an exception, but NYC is tiny compared to the huge country the USA is. The USA has a mentality of the bigger the better, the muscle car, all stores are huge (I love walmart btw), the coffee shops look like stores. Everything has to be squared built, to be more efficient so that 300 million people can move faster to work and convenience is a must, cookie cutter homes, an ideal way to build lots of neighborhoods without really puting effort in the quality and charm of what could be done structurally and architecturally speaking (charm), etc.
Life in parts of Canada is difficult without a car. Perhaps there's comparatively less development away from city centers compared to the US. You're right about one of the reasons why much of the US has poor or no public transportation. This, combined with income inequality and white (collar) flight led to US cities being known for havens of crime, poverty, and urban decay. And in reverse, when a city becomes hot, too much wealth floods in, pushing out the middle class and leaving sections for the super wealthy who are surrounded by poverty until those areas become gentrified as well.

Perhaps in Canada the core of the cities are safer, a mix of lower, middle, and upper class, as opposed to the core of US cities which tend to be one extreme and the other. If the super wealthy don't dominate a city, or are more community minded, the money (from taxes) that is needed is there to build and maintain good public transportation. In the US, the super wealthy hardly contribute, the funds aren't there, so public transportation is often inadequate, old, unsafe. Likewise, education suffers since they can put their kids into elite private schools and don't mind if public education plummets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World