U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2010, 08:01 AM

4,454 posts, read 6,153,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neng View Post
No, no way.
No similarity at all between UK- Germany and the US.
Entirely different. Don't know about Australia, but I think that Australia is more like England.
Yes, probably northern Mexico and Canada.
Australia is not like England at all.

Even with the founding fathers of colonial Australia and colonial USA are different as the founding fathers were considered convicts in colonial Australia but the founding fathers in the colonial USA were Puritians even though they both were from England originally.

Australian culture also develped its distinct self identiy as it would to as its isolated from the rest of the world so its not like the USA either.

Last edited by other99; 02-21-2010 at 08:10 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 01:48 PM

13,510 posts, read 15,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
I couldn't disagree more. In fact my flat in London looks strikingly like my building in New York and many of my neighbors were Jamaican and Pakistani in both cities. The biggest difference was the look of the taxicabs.
My own feeling is that the pop cultures of the two countries are very alike in tone and content, and that for me largely overrides the differences.

Old 02-21-2010, 01:53 PM

13,510 posts, read 15,654,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
After living in Scotland for 10 years I agree as well. Very different.
Oh-oh, you better duck!....England is England, and Scotland is Scotland.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:38 PM

229 posts, read 740,519 times
In my opinion I would think the Canada is the most similar to the USA... Just looking at celebrities... There are a lot of Canadians in Hollywood that most people don't realize they are Canadian... Other than Canada I think a country that is similar is Brazil... Brazil has similar demographics, history or racism, history of slavery, history of killing natives, Cowboy and Indian tall tales, etc... UK is similar because of the language and colonial past other than that they are pretty different... The US society is drastically different compared to other former colonies...Most Americans don't drink tea, fish and chips are less common than tacos and hot dogs, What the hell is Cricket... etc a lot of difference between the UK and USA...
Also, the US is too big to compare to most European cities... City to City is a better comparison... For example NY and London are similar... US and UK not so much...

Old 02-22-2010, 10:59 AM

8,730 posts, read 14,609,053 times
Canada IS the most similar to the USA , that is common knowledge ,there is no need to hash out a non discussion.... Why not just take Canada out of the mix , then compair...that would make the field more interesting.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:10 PM

11,023 posts, read 22,490,829 times
I think there are significant cultural differences btw the US and Canada/ Australia/ New Zealand.
We were founded mainly by people interested in either making lots of money or seeking religious freedom. Like other colonial areas (Latin America and South Africa) we have a history where some people live in luxury while large numbers of others (esp racial minorities) live in abject poverty.

Australians call each other "mate" because they view their society as being one of equality. In American society people try to find their niche group and dislike other groups. There may be a sense of equality within the group but not outside it. I list the groups as being rich suburban Whites, poor rural Whites, poor inner city Blacks, middle class suburban Blacks, Hispanics, and Asians (<- often associate with upper class Whites). Generally rich and poor Whites immigrated for different reasons, the rich for money and the poor for religious freedom.

Americans (esp the Eastern half) are much more religious than Australians and Canadians. Attendance of religious service at least once a week: US 35%, Canada 17%, Australia 14%. In that regard we compare much closer to Latin America and Africa.

Old 02-22-2010, 09:18 PM

1,369 posts, read 3,054,482 times
If the UK, New Zealand and Germany are so much different from the US, then what are the remaining three countries? Many people in this thread seem to dispute those choices but don't want to offer any alternatives.

I actually think that the original list is pretty solid. NZ is probably the most different out of the list - but I can't think of a reasonable alternative besides maybe France.

The countries that will have the most in common with the US are other developed countries - I think it's a really tough sell to put in a developing or third world country in the list as the "most similar" to the US.

Old 02-23-2010, 01:32 PM

229 posts, read 740,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post

The countries that will have the most in common with the US are other developed countries - I think it's a really tough sell to put in a developing or third world country in the list as the "most similar" to the US.
I think there needs to be a clearer definition of what the OP means by similar... I don't understand why the most similar countries have to do only with economy... Our economies are similar but thats about it...
Demographically - The largest ethnic groups in AUS and NZ make up about 90% of the population...
Sports - Do Americans even know how to play Rugby, Australian Rules Football, or Cricket...
Governments - Are different
I think Brazil is the most similar because of history, governments, demographics are all very similar... Sure our economies are different but in most other areas they are different...

Old 02-23-2010, 01:55 PM

2,449 posts, read 5,053,105 times
Antarctica, Dubai, Nigeria, Canada, Paris

Old 02-23-2010, 02:37 PM

1,567 posts, read 2,673,750 times
I think part of the problem here is that the OP did not define what similarities we were to base our choices. While some countries, for example, may have a similar style of government others may have a similar culture. So as we are left to our own discretion my choices are as follows and not necessarily in order of "most similar";

Canada - This is an obvious choice for so many reasons it should be unnecessary to elaborate further.

China - No one has addressed physical geography but to me that should be a major consideration. China is roughly the same physical size as the U.S., has the bulk of its population in the east near a lengthy coastline, deserts and mountains in the west with sparse population, and great variety in climates and terrain.

Australia - Also similar in size to the U.S. with bulk of population in the east. Both countries (along with Canada) are young, immigrant nations of British origin.

Germany - Similar federal style of government consisting of semi-autonamous states with substanial power as opposed to a strong central government. Germany like the U.S. has many large cities. Not just one dominant city such as France or the U.K. German is the largest and one of the oldest immigrant groups in the U.S. There is a strong cultural connection. Lastly we speak a Germanic language.

United Kingdom - The apple, as the saying goes, never falls far from the tree. While there are some great differences between these two nations, as a child (albeit an impetuous, ill-mannered one) of Great Britain the foundation of our society, our laws, our religion, our language, our customs remains permanently bonded. This bond is continually strengthened through shared history and current events, through entertainment and literature.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World