Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 01:09 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,774,863 times

Advertisements

and your only choices were Canada or Mexico to spend the rest of your life, which one would you choose and why?

Let's pretend that money or income is not a concern, you'd be able to live a nice middle to upper middle class lifestyle in either.

Last edited by Bo; 02-19-2010 at 01:22 PM.. Reason: Moved from General US. This topic isn't about the US!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 02:09 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Canada without a doubt!

It is one of the best, if not the best, nations in the World. It is clean, stable, safe, and has some great cities.

I am partial to cooler weather and four seasons. Mexico would be too damn hot for me.

I speak English and know a little French. I know no Spanish.

I live in Michigan so Canada isn't that far or different. It would be like going to live at a neighbor's house. Mexico is very foreign to me.

And best of all; hockey and good beer! What more can you ask for in a country?

Old 02-19-2010, 08:12 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,530,577 times
Canada without a doubt. The culture is similar, and it has vibrant, clean cities. My only worry is that the climate would wear on me, so I'd probably stick to Ontario, Vancouver or Victoria.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:20 PM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
I think I could be happy near the beach in Mexico. I just can't hack the winter in the frozen north anymore. The few times I've been to Mexico the people were very nice.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:22 PM

228 posts, read 483,111 times
I am by far choose Canada. Much more of a stable country. If I had the money and could get dual-citizenship I would move to BC in a heartbeat.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:49 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,139,890 times
Within the limitations of your scenario, Coolhand, I'd go to Mexico. Heck, if money were no object, I'd go right now! As far as weather, it has various climate zones to suit most tastes, with the exception of freezing weather. People are friendly and laid back and there are beautiful beaches. If beaches are not your thing, there are plenty of towns offering museums, all kinds of entertainment, and urban amenities. Granted, visiting any country doesn't have much to do with living there. If you have to work there, then things may get hairy, but if you have income independent of the local economy, it'll be just fine! I don't know if you've noticed that, but not speaking the language of a country you're in is extremely refreshing! All the annoyance and paranoia produced by the media is like white noise to you!

I like Canada OK, too. Only been to Vancouver, though. To Mexico I've been a lot and to many places. It's better for my soul, but people are different.

Is this just a hypothetical question...? I doubt it...

Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,122,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
and your only choices were Canada or Mexico to spend the rest of your life, which one would you choose and why?

Let's pretend that money or income is not a concern, you'd be able to live a nice middle to upper middle class lifestyle in either.
Mexico in a heartbeat. It's warmer and the food is much better.

I would not have any problem learning the language and adopting to the customs. Canada is too cold and I am not just talking about the weather.

My dh is Canadian. To be perfectly honest with you, I would find the lifestyle there more "foreign" to me than the laid-back way of doing things South of the Border. My mother always told me that Mañana does not mean "Tomorrow"..... it means "not today". LOL

Me gusto Mexico!

20yrsinBranson

Old 02-19-2010, 09:17 PM

125 posts, read 251,264 times
Probably Canada, especially Toronto, which really isn't far off from many American cities in many aspects.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
Mexico, it is warm. The food is better. The women are hotter

Old 02-20-2010, 12:40 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post

The first question is which country's immigration laws would you be able to satisfy in order to stay permanently. Canada has a points system, and if you don't make it....it ain't on your list no matter how much you might like it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World