Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,146,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmorgan View Post
What is the greatest nation on earth? What is YOUR definition of a great nation? Where were you born? Where did your parents raise you? Where is your history? Did you have pride and faith in your country drilled into your head as a child? Did you not hear and learn anthems? Read poems? Studied the history of your country?

Did your heart not swell with pride watching the finest athletes from your country represent you and compete in the Olympics? Have you watched the Olympics dreaming of the day your country would be represented? Do you not feel a glimmer of hope that your one vote might actually have the power make a difference in the lives of your fellow citizens? Perhaps you don't have the freedom to vote, and the injustice burns a flame inside of you as you work to make it so?

Are you free to worship they way you wish? Do you hide in the darkness and pray that one day you'll be allowed to worship without fear of reprisal? Are you free to speak the way you wish? Are you part of a massive underground movement to spread the words you would dearly love to see become mainstream?

I live in America. I love my country. I could not imagine living anywhere else. However, I'm not so blinded by patriotic glory that I cannot see that every nation on this earth has positives and negatives. Every nation is full of citizens who would run from their homeland at the first opportunity, and quite a few do. Every nation is full of citizens who would die for their country, and many do. Every nation is full of people who are idiotic, intelligent, lazy, hard working, manipulative, scrupulously honest, and every which way in between.

What is the greatest nation on earth? The answer is as varied as the many nations on this earth. There is nothing wrong with taking pride in the country you call home. But to consider your country the greatest nation on earth just because you live there, in my honest opinion, is just plain arrogant, rude, and obnoxiously narrow minded.

I surely hope my words are accepted and understood in the spirit in which they were spoken. There's enough discord in the world today. I think as individuals, we all need to show a little more acceptance and a lot less intolerance to each others views and beliefs.
Thanks very much for your post. Very well said! There's little to be added to your post.
I started this thread because I think there are many people who think they are superior, that other nations/cultures should hang their heads in shame.
I hope that more people read your post and give your ideas some thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2007, 06:29 AM

12 posts, read 80,322 times
I agree that it is very narrow minded to say that the country that you live is the best for no apparent reason. Every country has its positive and negative qualities. I think that a truly great country would - 1)have the trust of its people 2)have good educational opportunities 3)enphasize equality 4)provide for its less fortunate and help other less fortunate nations 5)not try to impose its way of life on others 6)not be riddled with violence. There are many more things that would be ideal. In my opinion it is hard to say which country is the greatest, but it is not the U.S. to me. Way too much violent crime, racism and greed. Opportunities to get rich do not make you the greatest.
I study world statistics and culture. Some of my best are Japan, Sweden, Norway, and Canada. I like Japan because of its society's basic politeness, generosity, and individuality is not over imphasized (which allows them to accomplish a lot through a combined effort). It has its negatives too, but it is outweighed. I think people here are not encouraged to learn about other cultures and many think of anything that is different is stupid. It would be nice to live somewhere where you could leave home and not be worried about being shot by a teenage drug dealer or something.

Old 08-05-2007, 04:07 PM

79 posts, read 249,309 times
It aint the States baby.......
Depends on what you want from life and what type of culture you're comfortable with.

Old 08-06-2007, 03:27 AM

28 posts, read 122,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado0359 View Post
Any nation that:

- Listens to the will of the people
- Takes good care of its pepole
- Does not subscribe to imperialism
- Minds its own business
- Does not try to subvert other countries
- Does not believe in or participate in the meddlng into the internal political, economic and scocial affairs of its neighbors or other nations

Now, these are great nations, to me.
well!! still waiting for the names of these wonderlands ?

Old 08-06-2007, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English63 View Post
well!! still waiting for the names of these wonderlands ?
This thread is not about naming nations, but determining what factors make a nation a great nation. Sort of like making a yardstick and then using it to measure.
I think the list from dorado is excellent.

Old 08-07-2007, 01:38 AM

28 posts, read 122,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
This thread is not about naming nations, but determining what factors make a nation a great nation. Sort of like making a yardstick and then using it to measure.
I think the list from dorado is excellent.
the open line " what is the greatest nation on earth " ? question, dorado list maybe exellent but dosent answer the question . dorado say "any nation that" etc etc just wondering if anybody knows of such , on this planet .

its also very isolationist .

Old 08-07-2007, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by English63 View Post
the open line " what is the greatest nation on earth " ? question, dorado list maybe exellent but dosent answer the question . dorado say "any nation that" etc etc just wondering if anybody knows of such , on this planet .

its also very isolationist .
Then, by your own deductions, there is no greatest nation.
But I wonder, why would having ideals make a nation isolationist?

Old 08-07-2007, 11:07 PM

59 posts, read 258,588 times
In truth, the US is where most people want to come to live.

There is no economy like the US. Just to put it in perspective: When the US was in recession and the 2nd and 3rd best economies, Germany and Japan, were experiencing growth, if these two countries were to combine into one state, the state would only have the 8th best economy among states.

You can always leave!

Old 08-08-2007, 02:27 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,533,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
One can often hear the phrase "Greatest Nation".
Having heard this for decades I have often wondered what is behind this phrase. I am interested in any and all comments.
Any nation can call itself the greatest, that's easy.
But first, see if you can follow this:
The Pittsburgh Steelers are the greatest football team.
Is it true? Probably not. For anyone to make such a claim about the Steelers would have to be very well informed about the strengths/weaknesses of all the other teams. That would be an informed evaluation.
Would you seriously consider that claim from Steelers fan who doesn't have a clue about the other teams?
Many Americans refer to America as the greatest nation. But none elaborate on why they think so. It's merely a nice sounding slogan to shout.
What I would like to know is what are the factors (without using proper nouns) that make a nation a great nation.
Is a mighty military the sign of a great nation? Prior to World War 2 Hitler's military was the most disciplined, well trained and equipped fighting force the world had seen. But did that make his Germany a great nation? During that era the Germans proudly waved their swastika flags and greeted Hitler with joy. While, at the same time, the Gestapo was collecting data on all Germans who opposed the regime. Is that a great nation?
So what are the factors that contribute to the making of a great nation? Is it the people? If so, please don't mention names, but describe what kind of people. Please don't simplify by saying "good people" or "hard working working people" or something similar. I'd like to hear something which has been thought out and evaluated. Something with substance. Things such as progress, advancement of civilization, enhancing the quality of life, generosity, being fair, willing to compromise, teamwork with other nations to accomplish common goals, honesty, ect. Add whatever you like.

Here's the part about the Steelers fan. Do you think Americans know enough about other countries to make a realistic evaluation of themselves?
For example, many Americans hate France, but do you think these same people could find France on a map, or tell you more than two factual sentences about France? Or any country, for that matter.
Is America the greatest nation because all others are inferior? Do you think that all others should feel shame for who they are? Would you say that America is the greatest because everyone else is an evil idiot?
When you look at other nations do you look down on them? Do you look for the things that are wrong with them? Would you talk down to them? Do you think they should apologize for being who they are? If someone from another country wanted to tell you something, would you listen or tell that person to shut up? Do you think that the customs or lifestyles of other cultures should be ridiculed?
Do you think that throwing dirt on others is a trait of greatness?
Enough from me, now it's your turn.
lol- I have a friend who lived in France and Europe- he doesn't have a thick accent, but moved to Wilmington NC, and said he feels alienated- people dont like "foreigners". So narrow minded and ignorant. And you are probably right- they have probably visited 2-5 states and think that is real travel.

Old 08-08-2007, 02:29 AM

14,496 posts, read 26,533,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo50 View Post
It aint the States baby.......
Depends on what you want from life and what type of culture you're comfortable with.

I agree 100%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World