Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 08:51 AM

758 posts, read 2,240,124 times

Advertisements

Mexico City is dangerous... it's got 20 million people, most of them poor, crowded into a city the size of San Antonio, Texas. But it doesn't top the list of world's most dangerous cities.

It all depends. Most dangerous city in the world, in absolute terms goes to Baghdad or Kabul or other towns in war strickent areas. Or MOgadishu, since it has no legal system or government. Many African cities also ran up there. Brazilian cities, especially cities like Rio, are pretty scary.

What is the most dangerous city in the west with a population over 500,000? (OECD countries) That dubious distinction goes to my hometown of Ciudad Juarez.

Mexican city world's murder capital
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 AM

1 posts, read 4,790 times
In Latin America, Caracas may be the worst. The worse can be Guatemala City, San Salvador, Guayaquil and Recife, etc. Colombian large cities as Bogota, Medellin or Cali have gotten to be dramatically safe.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:24 AM

213 posts, read 674,441 times
From my travels I'd say the majority of large U.S. cities are a lot more dangerous than most of the bigger cities throughout Europe and parts of Asia. I was amazed at how much safer the major cities in Europe, China and Japan were compared to the U.S ones.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by inamelon View Post
In Latin America, Caracas may be the worst. The worse can be Guatemala City, San Salvador, Guayaquil and Recife, etc. Colombian large cities as Bogota, Medellin or Cali have gotten to be dramatically safe.
+1. Bogota was very nice and felt very safe when I was there 2 years ago, it almost felt as safe as most of the big cities in Europe and Asia are.

I had to work in Guatemala City for a few weeks last year and I would not recommend it.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowWalk View Post
My personal experience: Anyplace in 1) Nigeria 2) Colombia and 3) Somolia, 4) Hillbrow (Downtown Johannessburg) just boils with danger, 5) Sau Paulo, 6) Abidjan, 7) Mexico City, 8) Harare, 9) Addis Ababa, 10) Panama City.
Interesting choices. I've been to a couple of the cities you mentioned.

I've been to Colombia and felt extremely safe (granted I was only in Bogota). I actually really liked the city.

I did not like Mexico City at all. Very dirty and run down.

South Africa is awful. Absolutely awful. I went there thinking it was going to be a beautiful country but the people were of an extremely hateful and violent nature.

Panama City was okay. It was far from great, but I felt safer there than I did in Mexico City.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:02 AM

6,034 posts, read 5,942,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
I would assume that Baghdad is pretty dangerous, and I've heard nothing but bad things about Nairobi...

First hand, the most dangerous city that I've ever been to is Washington, DC, and it's not even close. Of course, I don't seek out danger so my exposure to dangerous cities is pretty limited.
Nairobi is sometimes also known by the unfortunate name of Muggerobi,for reasons rather al to obvious.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 14,991 times
I have never been in US or Africa. I have been in many European cities and Asian ones and I must admit that I feel safe there.

Especially I liked Amman - the capital of Jordan. I felt really comfortable at it's streets. Beautiful country and wonderful people.

Old 08-31-2010, 01:29 AM

12,600 posts, read 9,384,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

What is the most dangerous city in the west with a population over 500,000? (OECD countries) That dubious distinction goes to my hometown of Ciudad Juarez.
true indeed, going at a record pace this year!

For those that don't know, Ciudad Juarez or just Juarez is located right across from El Paso Texas in the Mexican state of Chihuahua. El Paso however is considered to be very safe at least for now

Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,868,743 times
I'm surprised no one is mentioning Lagos (or Freetown , or Kinshasa or other West/Central African cities for that matter), they are I'm sure among the most dangerous in the world (at least for a Caucasian tourist)?

Old 08-31-2010, 09:52 AM

43,618 posts, read 44,346,965 times
I have heard that Luanda (the capital) in Angola (Africa) is a very dangerous city from someone who has worked there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World