Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 08:36 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,842,587 times

Advertisements

maybe you are right, where i live rich people stay on sometimes the same street as poor people, and the 'average' person encounters a lot of crime, but you can't deny that certain parts of chicago are violent, obviously the vast majority of chicago is more than likely pretty safe, the 'bad' areas you are talking about are still in chicago so obviously and rightly count as violent crime in the city as a whole, i have never been to chicago and 'my kind' as you put it, of course i don't know what happens in chicago, but on most lists/statistics etc i have looked at chicagos near the top usually
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:14 PM

125 posts, read 262,670 times
Many of the world's most violent cities are located within countries with FAR weaker governments and more inept justice systems than the United States. The fact that Detroit, New Orleans and St. Louis annually have homicide rates comparable to that of cities in third world nations shows how bad those American cities really are. In the U.S., it is very difficult to get away with a violent crime yet the criminals never get tired of trying. That is the true measure of violence in America, and to me, there are absolutely a handful of cities in the States as dangerous as Third world cities around the globe. People should remember that there are many poor countries whose cities are not filled with young people standing on the corner selling drugs and shooting at each other like in the U.S.

If a city's homicide rate is hovering around 40 per 100,000, that city is experiencing violence as if it were part of the Third world.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:03 PM

3,226 posts, read 6,636,381 times
Ciudad Juarez so far for me. WHOA was that a scary experience.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:41 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blowingdown View Post
Many of the world's most violent cities are located within countries with FAR weaker governments and more inept justice systems than the United States. The fact that Detroit, New Orleans and St. Louis annually have homicide rates comparable to that of cities in third world nations shows how bad those American cities really are. In the U.S., it is very difficult to get away with a violent crime yet the criminals never get tired of trying. That is the true measure of violence in America, and to me, there are absolutely a handful of cities in the States as dangerous as Third world cities around the globe. People should remember that there are many poor countries whose cities are not filled with young people standing on the corner selling drugs and shooting at each other like in the U.S
Having spent a lot of time in '3rd world countries', I actually do feel safer in most of them than downtown American cities.

I grew up in Michigan...and driving around Detroit, day or night, always had a 'anything can happen' feel. Whereas when I lived in Sao Paulo or Rio de Jainero, I didn't have a car, and often went out late into the night walking around with friends and bar hopping.

Brazil is a very dangerous city by most all accounts. Yet, I'd rather be walking around Sao Paulo or Rio de Jainero late at night bar hopping than I would driving through Detroit with the windows rolled up after dark.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:10 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Had to stay in College Park, Georgia for a night a couple years ago because i missed my flight.
What a change after spending almost a month in the best parts of Florida!
I just don't go to dangerous places.

Some parts of London/Paris at night can be dangerous too btw.

My own country (the Netherlands) is pretty much save.
Only the bigger cities (+200.000 lol) have their problems (stereotypes of dutch criminals are... blacks shoot people, smuggle & deal drugs, north africans stab & rob, eastern europeans steal cars & work illegal, fat lonely 50+ year old man with a beard are pedophile).
Of course it's nothing compared to most other countries.

Last edited by Davy-040; 04-24-2011 at 05:25 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 AM

142 posts, read 442,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy-040 View Post
Had to stay in College Park, Georgia for a night a couple years ago because i missed my flight.
What a change after spending almost a month in the best parts of Florida!
I just don't go to dangerous places.

Some parts of London/Paris at night can be dangerous too btw.
Not even close to being the world's most dangerous cities.

Ciudad Juarez, Johannesburg, Caracas, Guatemala City are on a different level to anything you'd find in Western Europe.

Also, any large city in a country experiencing a civil war is probably not the type of place a johnny foreigner wants to be walking around with a camera and map in hand.

Old 04-24-2011, 05:28 AM

10,639 posts, read 16,019,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris82 View Post
Not even close to being the world's most dangerous cities.

Ciudad Juarez, Johannesburg, Caracas, Guatemala City are on a different level to anything you'd find in Western Europe.

Also, any large city in a country experiencing a civil war is probably not the type of place a johnny foreigner wants to be walking around with a camera and map in hand.
Chernobyl > Any City

Old 04-24-2011, 02:11 PM

678 posts, read 1,204,772 times
Based on current world situation, along with murder rate and other things, they are:

1- Mysrata - Lybia
2- Abdijan - Nigeria
3- Sanaa - Yemen
4- Damascus - Syria
5-Muqdisho - Somaly

I think everyone's chances to die are a lot higher on those cities.

Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM

38 posts, read 118,182 times
Any 'most dangerous' list that includes US cities should be treated with some caution. Because of their almost unique geography and development they exclusively take in all/almost all of the bad parts and leave off all/almost all of the good parts, this is down to a misleading "city boundary" that doesn't actually mean anything and shouldn't be taken literally. I think even the FBI warns about doing this.

A city is a "city" when you include "all suburbs" within that city. If we did the same for South African or LatAm/Carib cities like we have with the US i.e. packing all the worst parts in the inner city and drawing a sillier than silly narrow boundary (therefore increasing the murder rate the narrower you 'draw' the boundary) they would blow the US out of the water. The difference between these cities and those of the US is the "city boundary" typically makes up around half of the planning area and both "city" and "suburbs" have a fairly equal sprinkling of good and bad areas.

I also don't see visitors getting murdered in New Orleans like they have been in Colombian cities like Medellin or Barranquilla which lack comparable tourist industries. I'm not convinced by NOLA, I don't doubt it has it's dangers but it's not a world class murder capital.

Based on murder data, this is pretty predictable I think I've done one on here before. I might try doing a war zone one:

Brazil: Maceio (unknown but been the worst city in Brazil for a couple of years)
Colombia: Caucasia (unknown again - extremely violent city of 100,000 [224 per 100k])
El Salvador: San Salvador
Guatemala: Guatemala City
Honduras: San Pedro Sula
Jamaica: Kingston
Mexico: Juarez
Pakistan: Peshawar
South Africa: East London (the most dangerous South African city)
Venezuela: Caracas

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 AM

1 posts, read 3,611 times
Hello guys. I was just surfing by the web and found this forum. It's a curious way to talk about the world. So, first, i would like to tell that my english is not that good. And this is the second reason why i have joined the forum: Practice my english.

Quote:
Brazil: Maceio (unknown but been the worst city in Brazil for a couple of years)
Yeah. Maceió has been pointed as one of the most dangerous cities of Brazil, it's also was pointed a lot of times as the most dangerous for homosexuals and young peoples. I can't say much about it because I have never been there. But, since some guys here talked about Rio de Janeiro, i should reafirm: It is a dangerous city.

Born and after 18 years living here and everytime you have to think in safety ways to go to some place, better hours to walk, places that are not advisable to go, etc. The real problem, leaving aside the common robberies, is the weaponary that traficants use and the favelas wars. A lot of bad events that occurs with the tourist and gives a bad image of the city its linked with the favelas, gangs and factions. Mans stolen for him bosses, or something like this. The police here is just shameful. Ok, corruption we can see almost everywhere, but the brazilian police, mainly the Rio one, its abusive.

After everything some peoples must say "OH, he hates his contry!" No way! I love here, if i can say it. Maybe the life style and personalities are not my favorite, but there are countless amazing things over brazil. But its not the discussion xP.

So, afterall, i can put the Rio as one of most dangerous city maybe only in a top 100. I think there are no comparision with some middle east and african cities. And there are others violents cities in Brazil. If talking about metropolis or big cities, Rio or São Paulo cames first. I also heard about criminal in the Oakland and some Mexico cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World