U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 04:18 PM

1,134 posts, read 840,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post
Curious as to how the growth of mining affected the other sectors you mentioned? As in, shouldn't those sectors benefit from positive externalities of the mining boom (more jobs, more disposable income, higher consumer spending, etc.) rather than be negatively impacted?
Huge capital inflows to finance the design and construction of mines and related logistics and transport infrastructure, coupled with significant trade surpluses were a major contributor to a high value $AUD. The result being exporters in other sectors and firms in competition with imports were priced out of a lot of markets, or their profitability severely reduced.

The demand for skilled and unskilled workers for all stages of the design, build, operate and maintain life cycle for mines and their logistics footprint meant there was often intense competition between employers. Firms in less profitable industries often couldn't compete. Its not only miners and truck drivers, but all the skill categories associated with running a large business: cleaners, accounting and finance, engineering, health and safety, procurement and contract management...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2015, 12:02 AM

660 posts, read 818,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^ yes.

It's actually quite easy for Americans to move to China.

1. Find a job over the internet. This is pretty easy to do if you're willing (or want to) teach English. If you work in any other field, you can also likely find some work... or, just go to teach English and network.
2. Interview for job over Skype.
3. Get invitation letter. This will likely be for an "M" or "Z" visa.
4. Either take the invitation letter to an agent (which you can find easily online), or if you're in a city with a Chinese consulate (LA, SF, NYC, DC, Chicago, etc) make an appointment to turn it and the appropriate visa paperwork in, along with your passport.
5. Wait a few days.
6. Receive your passport along with your new visa.
7. Buy a ticket to China.
8. Someone from your new job will likely meet you at the airport and deliver you straight to whatever accommodation they are providing you. Most places will provide Westerners with "Western style" (read: modern) accommodations.
9. Start working and making 3-10x the national average per month.
10. ... PROFIT!! Obviously.
It's not easy.
I'd love to do one of those "teach English abroad" jobs, but to get a TEFL licence cost $1,400... most places require you to have the licence now. Not only that, but a lot of the teach English jobs are for those that look aesthetically pleasing. There's been cases where people who were black, Indian, Hispanic, etc. were not able to get jobs. People who were 30+ years old or chubby/fat were not able to get jobs. People that had a disability of some kind whether it's hard of hearing, diabetic, etc. were not able to get the jobs.

I've looked into this for a long time, I've e-mailed and asked a bunch of questions to most TEFL schools and programs, and yet I've been given the cold shoulder and "no response" as soon as they find out that I have to wear hearing aids lol.

Old 08-11-2015, 06:56 AM

1,042 posts, read 1,364,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
How hard is it for an American Physician to follow the Swiss laws and legally work and live in Switzerland? Do Swiss folks in general understand English ?
The quick answer to your question, yes. Many Swiss speak a decent level of English, but, it shouldn't be about them understanding English. If you're going to their country, it's up to you to learn French/ German/ Italian. Language alone, Switzerland is extremely difficult. People who live in one valley can speak a different dialect than those in the next valley over. There are Germans who have a difficult time understanding many dialects of Swiss German. Not to mention, Switzerland is one of the most homogeneous places on the planet. If you're "not part of the club," you'll have an extremely hard time fitting into society. Immigration is tough, especially since they aren't in the European Union, but have an immigration agreement with the EU.

For Americans looking to move somewhere in Europe, Spain has a visa called the non-lucrative visa. If you can earn about 2100 euros a month while working remotely, or show that you have savings, or investments that will provide you with a minimum of around 2100 euros a month, from a source outside of Spain, as well as your own health insurance, they will give you a residency permit. Find a job you can do from anywhere, or aggressively save and take a sabbatical.. there's several ways to do it. Read more about it here:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Consula...nLucrative.pdf

Old 06-29-2016, 08:50 PM

4,883 posts, read 3,567,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
^ yes.

It's actually quite easy for Americans to move to China.

1. Find a job over the internet. This is pretty easy to do if you're willing (or want to) teach English. If you work in any other field, you can also likely find some work... or, just go to teach English and network.
2. Interview for job over Skype.
3. Get invitation letter. This will likely be for an "M" or "Z" visa.
4. Either take the invitation letter to an agent (which you can find easily online), or if you're in a city with a Chinese consulate (LA, SF, NYC, DC, Chicago, etc) make an appointment to turn it and the appropriate visa paperwork in, along with your passport.
5. Wait a few days.
6. Receive your passport along with your new visa.
7. Buy a ticket to China.
8. Someone from your new job will likely meet you at the airport and deliver you straight to whatever accommodation they are providing you. Most places will provide Westerners with "Western style" (read: modern) accommodations.
9. Start working and making 3-10x the national average per month.
10. ... PROFIT!! Obviously.
I REFUSE to go to China. For religious and health reasons - I can't eat their food. I can't eat pork or soy. I want to move out of the US, but I REFUSE to go to China. I have an English degree. I also refuse to go to Asia. I was thinking Dubai, but I know my folks would have heart attacks.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:00 AM

25 posts, read 78,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
OK. We are going off course here. The question is which country can an American move to easily.

First off Canada and Mexico. Do a google search for a NAFTA visa. Basically get a job there, cross the border and apply for your work visa.

Canada, New Zealand and Australia have active immigration programmes. But you have to qualify, apply, pass a physical. I was accepted by NZ and chose Canada. It was not hard, you just have to wait. Took me about 13 months. Google the immigration departments for each country. There are yahoo groups, etc. with discussions on the pros and cons of each. Also you can check move2nz.org or expatexpossed.com or notcanada.com to get the negative side of migrating to these countries.

Singapore, Dubai... it would be easier if you were physically present to meet with potential employers. I love Sing. Low wages BUT 7% income tax. And it can be expensive to live in Sing but you can commute from Johor Bahru, Malaysia. Dubai has high wages, no income tax, but you have to be well behaved. Recently a couple were arrested on a beach for making out (she was wearing a bikini). So whereas Dubai outwardly looks open, its not completely open. You dont get permanent resident visas for these places, just work permits.

RSA. There is a reason why people leave South Africa. Crime is a big reason. Talk to South Africans on the above groups.

Having a US passport makes it easy to visit many countries as a tourist. But for migration, we have to follow the rules just like anyone else.

Good luck
I thought NAFTA was for Canadians and Mexicans to move to the States..not the other way around.

Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 AM

484 posts, read 1,265,090 times
NAFTA is a trilateral economic agreement, so any eligible professional from either of the 3 countries, is able to move freely and secure job positions in the others.

Old 06-12-2017, 10:37 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,937,573 times
If you are a skilled worker, you have at least 3-4 years of experience, a native level of English and a medium level of Spanish: Spain.

Old 06-12-2017, 04:13 PM

8,439 posts, read 7,744,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I REFUSE to go to China. For religious and health reasons - I can't eat their food. I can't eat pork or soy. I want to move out of the US, but I REFUSE to go to China. I have an English degree. I also refuse to go to Asia. I was thinking Dubai, but I know my folks would have heart attacks.
1. Dubai is in Asia.
2. China has two "Muslim provinces", and over 20 million Muslims live in every city. It is hilarious to think every Chinese dish contains pork or soy.

Old 06-15-2017, 06:47 AM

16,087 posts, read 38,490,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smihaila View Post
NAFTA is a trilateral economic agreement, so any eligible professional from either of the 3 countries, is able to move freely and secure job positions in the others.
Hmm...so I could go to Canada, and just start looking for work, just like I would in any US city?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World