U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 11:59 PM

1,528 posts, read 5,902,205 times

Advertisements

Ireland, UK, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Philippines, India, and some of the Caribbean
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2007, 12:03 AM

639 posts, read 2,035,298 times
What about Spanish speaking countries?

Old 11-14-2007, 12:14 AM

469 posts, read 2,612,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gv0928 View Post
What about Spanish speaking countries?
Well, there's Puerto Rico (it's not a seperate country, but a lot of Americans forget about it!). A beautiful Spanish-speaking island, and you don't need a visa to live and work there.

Most of the people I know of who moved to Mexico, Costa Rica, and Belize did so as retirees with a lot of cash. I'm not sure what you'd do if you wanted to live and work in Central or South America. Spain, of course, has the same problem as the other EU nations -- very, very hard to get a visa.

Old 11-16-2007, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 45,214 times
The problem with places like Mexico is that while its not so hard to get a visa to work there, it is very difficult to earn any "real" money. My wife and I both looked into teaching English in Mexico and learned that we would be lucky to earn 8000 a year a piece. While cost of living is lower there, on that kind of salary you'd never be able to afford a plane ticket if you ever wanted to leave ;-)

Old 11-16-2007, 12:36 PM

45 posts, read 184,082 times
If you are young (25 or younger, I think), you can do a 'working holiday' in the UK or Australia. (Try googling up BUNAC) It is seriously difficult for an American to move and work legally anywhere in the European Union.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:23 PM

BUNAC can get you a work visa, but you have to be a full-time student to qualify for the Britain, Ireland, and Canada programs. You don't have to be a full-time student to qualify for the Australia or New Zealand programs, BUT you do if you want to work more than 4 months in Australia. The age ranges vary, I think for most of the programs its 18-34.

Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 AM

253 posts, read 1,235,052 times
If Switzerland is not a member of the EU, does that make it easier for an American to work there?

Old 01-05-2008, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmckenna View Post
If Switzerland is not a member of the EU, does that make it easier for an American to work there?
No. Switzerland allows Free Movement of Persons for EU/EFTA citizens, which means they can enter and live in Switzerland, provided they meet certain qualifications. Americans fall under "Third-country nationals" and must show proof of potential employment to secure a residence permit. The Swiss Justice Ministry resists most work permits to highly-skilled EU nationals. Here is the official Swiss Emigration website.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:33 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,551,413 times
If it is so difficult to immigrate to England, then why are there so many unskilled, uneducated Muslims there from ME countries?

I'm confused.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 AM

1,149 posts, read 5,370,344 times
You have a distorted idea. Muslims are a heterogeneous group of different nationalities and ethnicities. A lot of mmigrants tend to study longer and harder than native Brits. This is particularly the case with those from still tradititonal socieies.

Most new immigrants are from the new EU countries in Eastern Europe. BBC NEWS | Politics | 'Nearly 600,000' new EU migrants

I do not understand how someone already well off in USA would like to move to Britain. That is if the person care of living standard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
If it is so difficult to immigrate to England, then why are there so many unskilled, uneducated Muslims there from ME countries?

I'm confused.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World