U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2009, 08:12 AM

27 posts, read 103,674 times

Advertisements

Divinorumdave, welcome to america. As the OP said, it's a one way street. We gladly welcome pretty much anyone into this country with open arms, and if we don't they sneak in anyways. As a result (among many other reasons) there is now a shortage of available jobs in America. Not to mention, if you'd like to leave the u.s. it's an extremely difficult process, and obtaining a visa - let alone becoming a citizen of a different nation is damn near impossible.

To answer the OP's question, there are expats in practically every country, so pick one. Is it easy? No. Is it worth it? You find paradise and let me know that one. I've spoken to many a people who have done what you're speaking of, and many people are happy with their decisions, many are not. If you're looking for real answers from people who have done what you've spoke of, then you're on the wrong forum... and a simple google search would point you in the right direction.

Coughs *expatforum* Coughs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 07:29 AM

5,426 posts, read 6,095,828 times
America is hard to get into legally. (I'm American, btw). Our policies are all jacked up.

Old 04-11-2009, 04:23 AM

63 posts, read 295,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider View Post
Ireland. We have that Celtic Tiger economy and full employment.
That's over now unfortunatly. You guys will have your hands with employing yourselves now.

For an American to live in Europe.....
Economically Norway, twice as high income, moe purchasing power then anybody else, except for the tiny nation of Luxembourg.
Luxembourg, Norway, Switserland and the Netherlands economically. Cause those countries have low unemployment, theri economies don't do as bad as the rest during this creditcrisis.If ING bank will collapse, then it's over for my country aswell. But so far so good in comparisson.

Just like an earlier person said in relation to Sweden, the same is true for the Netherlands, they are interrested in the US.I think the Netherlands is one of the most Americanised countries. So might feel relativly comfortable...although there are differences...especially the scale of everything. The Netherlands is a Mickey Mouse little country. LOL I think Norway is the best, or Luxembourg, but that's economically, it really depends also on what you're looking for as American living abroad, what does attract you?

Last edited by FlyingDutch; 04-11-2009 at 04:36 AM..

Old 04-11-2009, 08:16 AM

186 posts, read 758,058 times
Have a look online at the visa requirements for each country you're interested in on their consulate website. AFAIK, most if not all EU countries, require a long stay visa for more than a 3-month visit, with proof of ability to support oneself without working in that country, as well as health insurance. If you don't already have a job lined up, forget it....you will not get a working visa....European unemployment is very high and Americans unable to compete in the market without stellar qualifications in very limited professions.
Upon arrival, there are more complicated steps to follow and the process is time-consuming beginning to end. France, as most EU countries, does indeed allow dual citizenship after several years living there, but not based on droit de sange further back than a grandparent's generation.

Old 04-11-2009, 01:38 PM

9,840 posts, read 20,926,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post
America is hard to get into legally. (I'm American, btw). Our policies are all jacked up.
Yes they are. My brother in law finally got his US citizenship after six years of hundreds of pages of forms, countless interviews, fingerprints, fees, etc. It was a major ordeal.

However if you are an illegal alien you can work without paying SS or income tax, get government benefits like free education and health care, get a drivers licence, buy a home, etc.

Totally ass backwards.

Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 AM

3 posts, read 58,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
they also have very high tax rates....
thats why he said he wants to retire there. he won't work, wont pay taxes, but will get to use the social services, healthcare, retirement benefits. now unlike the usa, norway actually has real benefits.

Last edited by MONTOOCHOPRA; 06-01-2009 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 09:01 AM

3 posts, read 58,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
So, as we know, we take alot of people in in this country cause we need the workers

but it doesnt seem to flow both ways!

what are some of the best countries where an American can go and work (and hopefully speak english)?
americans, like anyone else, have to apply for work permits. an indian with a masters degree and 5yrs experience as a civil engineer will always have more of a chance to immigrate to any country vs an american who has a high school diploma and 5 yrs work experience at mcdonalds.

Last edited by MONTOOCHOPRA; 06-01-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 06-01-2009, 06:38 PM

4,284 posts, read 15,032,085 times
Let's stick to the topic, please.

Discussions on US immigration policies should take place over in the Immigration or Politics forums.

Old 06-16-2009, 12:09 AM

1,077 posts, read 893,465 times
If your a young American male, there are not many better places to live than in Shanghai.........Its like college but your a little older, you have more money, and hot chicks are EVERYWHERE..........Nobody speaks English, except for your friends who will most likely be American. We have softball, hockey, hoops and all types of expat leagues, great bars and restaurants, its a very modern and clean city. There is NO violent crime at all in most of China, except for getting you bicylce stolen. Its cheap to live here, and if you would for a American company you will save a lot of money every month. Rent is around 600 USD for a one or small 2 bedroom in downtown Shanghai. Taxis are very cheap as is Chinese food. We have every kind of restaurant you can imagine, from Italian, to Cuban to American and French. I think a lot of expats in Shanghai don't talk about how great it is living here, because they don't want more coming over to ruin it....haha..........The locals treat you like kings, esp the women. The negatives are, there is a lot of ignorance with the locals, so you need to cool your temper and laugh things off. Things are very different in China than in the States, but I've been here for 8 years now, and I married a local, bought a home here and will be here another 5 years at least..........Its a very comfortable life and I would never trade it. I'm so glad after college I had the balls to travel to Asia and see for myself. So many Americans think and talk about living overseas, but they never do it because they think they will miss their friends/family and whatnot. You meet friends wherever you live, that's not a problem. Of course, moving away from family is tough................Try China out............You can teach English and make 2,000 USD a month to start out until you find a job you like............

Old 11-25-2009, 10:31 PM

215 posts, read 676,252 times
You could join the French Foreign Legion and get French citizenship after being in the legion for 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World