U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 09:53 PM

9,336 posts, read 20,223,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliveandwellinSA View Post
Biafra Africa in 1972. A real eye opener.
Was it still Biafra in 1972? My mother also lived in Biafra -- Enugu, Onitsha then onwards to Port Harcourt and by boat to safety in Ghana.

Here is my list:
Coober Pedy, South Australia - town build underground due to the heat; I loved living in South Australia
Louangphrabang, Lao People's Democratic Republic - love love love despite the tourists
Yangon, Myanmar - great people, scary government
Beirut, Lebanon (ok Beirut isn't that exotic)
Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay - love love love but not as much as L/P, Laos (above)
Maseru, Lesotho - was in Johannesburg and checked it out, saw my first and only African ski slope here
Mbabane, Swaziland - was in Jo'burg...

Last edited by minibrings; 03-08-2010 at 10:03 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 10:05 PM

941 posts, read 1,570,306 times
The most unique place I've been where no one seems to have gone was Ascension Island back in 1966 when it was being considering as a tracking station as part of the Eastern Test Range. Wideawake Airport has what was described to me as a mountain in the middle of it's landing strip. I don't know if there is any scheduled air service into there. Somewhere between Africa and South America.

Old 03-08-2010, 10:08 PM

15,725 posts, read 21,301,412 times
Choroni, Venezuela.

It's a small town where slaves used to grow cocoa beans and tobacco (people still do it).
The town is located between the coastal Andes range of Venezuela and the Caribbean sea.
To get to Choroni, people have to drive for about 1 hour through a small road that crosses the Andes (a rain forest, Park Henri Pittier)

http://www.posadatucan.com/images/Map.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-08-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Link says wiki did not have an article on drvenik. There is a Drvenik in Croatia and the name Drvenik is slavik, not Bambarian. Mali is landlocked. Where is this island?

Old 03-08-2010, 10:50 PM

3,981 posts, read 5,986,720 times
For me Camerons Corner which is the boader of Queensland, New South Wales and South Australia in the Australian Desert.

Overseas, dont get of the well worn tourist paths that much, proberly Mount Nemurt in central Turkey. It took quite a bit of getting to.

Old 03-09-2010, 03:46 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,868,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Link says wiki did not have an article on drvenik. There is a Drvenik in Croatia and the name Drvenik is slavik, not Bambarian. Mali is landlocked. Where is this island?
Close to the Island of Solta and opposite Drvenik Veli in the Adriatic Sea off the coast of Croatia.

Old 03-09-2010, 05:08 PM

13,838 posts, read 23,372,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
Mali means little in Croatian. There is a Drvenik Veli (Big). I'm not sure what happened to the Wiki link - let me try posting it again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drvenik_Mali_(island)

Here's a pretty decent shot:

http://velarina.com/tolteam/upload/headeri/pocetna.jpg (broken link)

Old 03-09-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Mali means little in Croatian. There is a Drvenik Veli (Big). I'm not sure what happened to the Wiki link - let me try posting it again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drvenik_Mali_(island)

Here's a pretty decent shot:

http://velarina.com/tolteam/upload/headeri/pocetna.jpg (broken link)
OIC I thought you meant MALI.. WEST AFRICA!
Now the pic.. NICE.. always wanted to go check out Dubrovnik..

Old 03-09-2010, 09:30 PM

476 posts, read 1,059,584 times
San Pedro Atacama, Chile
Tierra del Fuego/ Patagonia - Argentina & Chile
Mysore - India
Ruta del Sol & Cajas - Ecudaor
Nakuru - Kenya

Old 03-11-2010, 02:31 AM

5,420 posts, read 8,336,517 times
Well..

Not really "off the beaten path" but a place I found exceedingly beautiful was Lake Powell, in Utah. We had the houseboat parked right on the state line between Utah and Arizona somehow. I would walk to one end of the boat and my phone would change times to one hour ahead, walk back to the other side of the boat and have it change back.

There's this little place there called Cookiecutter Cove (or something like that) where a couple buddies and I decided to cram ourselves on a jetski (3 of us, bad bad idea). We got all the way out there, but took a hard turn and ended up drowning the jetski- the engine compartment was full of about 200 lbs. of water; to this day, I still have no idea how it was still running and floating. We ended up having to swim 200 yard to the beach, with two of us swimming and the lightest one of us riding the Jetski at 5mph (throttle was full open, that's how much water it had taken on.)

Got stuck on a tiny beach for a while and was very thankful to have found a (full!) can of beer and a red cup to bail the water out of the Jetski's engine compartment... 50 gal of water, one red cup/half beer can at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World