Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:25 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,814 times

Advertisements

Flores, Guatemala.

It is a small town of about 14,000 people and it is on an island in the middle of a fairly large lake. It is all cobblestone and had very few vehicles besides these mini 3 wheeled taxis. Very, very pretty little town and extremely affordable. The lake itself is surrounded by rainforest and just beautiful. I used it as my base to visit the ancient Mayan city of Tikal which is another beautiful off the beaten path place to visit. In Flores I remember getting a giant home-made ice cream sundae that i bet weighed 2 pounds for less than a dollar. lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 12:28 PM

2,616 posts, read 2,398,603 times
Out Skerries in the Shetland Islands in 1973. Population= 76

Old 09-05-2014, 04:16 AM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
The Dead Sea and the desert surrounds.

Wow...

Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,920,579 times
I visited and traveled in up to 10 international countries up to 23 years old in France, Czech Republic, Austria, Slovakia, Romania, Bulgaria, Mexico, Costa Rica, Canada, and UK outside of USA.

There is a wealth of memories in my life traveling there, and I am grateful for all of my travel experience.

I feel topic title “Most unique, off the beaten path place you’ve ever been” is not specific enough.

I believe a synonymous, more descriptive topic title introduction is Unique, Highest Level Adventurous, and Foreign Area You Have Ever Visited In Your Entire Life Up To Now, including Underrated, Relatively Not Exposed, Secret Hidden Treasure Destinations is more appropriate, and relevant to what original poster is talking about.

I think Romanian coastline cities, towns, and villages from Constanta to Vama Veche is a proper qualification, and feels very foreign. There is incredible pleasant scenery occasionally resembling some of Mediterranean, all settlements have a unique character feeling separate from each other, some historical architecture sites, villa houses, subtropical looking beaches in summer months, abundance of charming Independent stores businesses, lack of chain stores sometimes not present at all, unique souvenir stores, Ultra modern looking Discoteques Nightclubs, usually almost nobody rarely ever speaks English, and I stayed in a traditional Romanian village house there an extended amount of time.

Bulgarian coastline also feels unique, and very adventurous, surprising travel path. Bulgaria feels very different from Romania instantaneously once someone crosses geographic borders. There is some ancient Roman archeological sites present there along coastline, very desolate, and spontaneous resort hotels showing up along rugged cliffs, very Slavic, Balkan, and Middle Eastern around Bulgarian coastline.

Costa Rican villages around Arenal Volcano National Park feels quite out of a stereotypical tourist path. There is a massive hot springs resort there alongside a volcano, rustic villages feeling quite foreign, and exotic there, some mystical jungle, and alluring independent souvenir stores representing some of Costa Rican culture.

I never expected Slovakia to feel very foreign, mysterious, and exotic when I visited, and quite an underrated tourist destination. I had such a fantastic night in Bratislava up to 4am in nightclubs and bars there, going back to Vienna Austria in less than 1 hour, and then going back to Romania on the same day less than 2 hour airplane flight between Vienna to Bucharest, vastly different cultures in such close proximity, and 3 countries in the same exact day. I feel outside of main city of Bratislava, a majority of Slovakia is quite unknown to foreigners, and especially adventurous to check out scenery there in travel.

I have plans to visit Taiwan next. I know there is unique, out of a stereotypical tourist path destinations to visit there, and I have lots of areas of Asia in my future travel itinerary.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:28 PM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,892 times
I've been to North Dakota.. Thats not really where British people would visit.

Old 09-15-2014, 08:45 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,536,326 times
This summer I was trying to get up far enough in to the Himalayan foothills of India to see the snowcapped peaks 100km or so off in to the distance. I made it to this small village in a cedar forest called Jageshwar in a region called Kumaon. A tea walla suggested I do the 3km hike to the top of a hill early in the morning to try and catch a glimpse. I did so before the sun came up, but couldn't see the peaks (too much smoke in the summer) at all. Disappointing, but still a beautiful hike nontheless.

The kicker is that later on I found a book called "The Maneaters of Kumaon", about tigers in the area....sheesh.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:41 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwhale View Post
I've been to North Dakota.. Thats not really where British people would visit.
Yep, agree with North Dakota (the least visited state). It is unique and definitely off the beaten path. Even the touristy places in North Dakota don't get many visitors.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:25 AM

10,646 posts, read 16,032,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yep, agree with North Dakota (the least visited state).
You sure about that or are you only including American visitors.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:00 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,444,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
I have plans to visit Taiwan next. I know there is unique, out of a stereotypical tourist path destinations to visit there.
May I ask where it is?Just curious.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 AM

3,400 posts, read 3,205,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
Yep, agree with North Dakota (the least visited state). It is unique and definitely off the beaten path. Even the touristy places in North Dakota don't get many visitors.

I didn't like it lol. Way too flat and underpopulated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World