Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:17 PM

23,863 posts, read 71,220,176 times

Advertisements

I have been to Gransjö several times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 03:23 PM

1,039 posts, read 1,853,585 times
Bougainville in 1999

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonom...f_Bougainville

Old 03-03-2010, 09:20 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,465,634 times
Default Sie Koenigstein, eastern Germany on Czech Rep. Border

The Koenigstein in former GDR (East Germany) right after the Berlin Wall fell and you could travel freely in what had been behind the Iron Curtain. It's a fortress from the early Saxon Kings built to keep the Slavic armies across the Elbe away. It's a sandstone butte that now has an elevator running up the core of it to the castle on top (also many storerooms and fighting redoubts carved out of the sides). There is a water well dug through it too so during seiges the Saxons could hang for months against the hordes attacking.

When we were going up on the elevator the old operator told us to do something in German and when we ignored him and told him in English that we didn't speak German he almost started crying he was so happy. He stopped halfway up and ran into a closet and came out with a dusty old tourist manual from pre-Soviet invasion in English and said we were the first American or British tourists since before WWII! It was beautiful view at the top of the winding Elbe and the great forests and other rock spires of the "Saxon Switzerland". It's a very unkown area to most tours but very well known to rock climbers. It's sort of like Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah but much more beautifully wooded.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:24 PM

1,188 posts, read 3,465,634 times
Default The Beaufort Sea in June

I once worked on a ship when the Polar Ice Cap had broken up off Pt Barrow Alaska in the US Arctic Ocean. There was one sunny clear day with virtually no wind. The Beaufort Sea formed a perfect mirrorlike surface the reflected the symmetric double of the icebergs floating in the water. The blue sky was reflected in between and everything just bizarrely buzzed out into this fantasy world of what looked like giant ice-cubes floating through the air. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, before or since.

Old 03-03-2010, 11:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 1,597,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
The Koenigstein in former GDR (East Germany) right after the Berlin Wall fell and you could travel freely in what had been behind the Iron Curtain. It's a fortress from the early Saxon Kings built to keep the Slavic armies across the Elbe away. It's a sandstone butte that now has an elevator running up the core of it to the castle on top (also many storerooms and fighting redoubts carved out of the sides). There is a water well dug through it too so during seiges the Saxons could hang for months against the hordes attacking.

When we were going up on the elevator the old operator told us to do something in German and when we ignored him and told him in English that we didn't speak German he almost started crying he was so happy. He stopped halfway up and ran into a closet and came out with a dusty old tourist manual from pre-Soviet invasion in English and said we were the first American or British tourists since before WWII! It was beautiful view at the top of the winding Elbe and the great forests and other rock spires of the "Saxon Switzerland". It's a very unkown area to most tours but very well known to rock climbers. It's sort of like Bryce and Zion National Parks in Utah but much more beautifully wooded.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
I once worked on a ship when the Polar Ice Cap had broken up off Pt Barrow Alaska in the US Arctic Ocean. There was one sunny clear day with virtually no wind. The Beaufort Sea formed a perfect mirrorlike surface the reflected the symmetric double of the icebergs floating in the water. The blue sky was reflected in between and everything just bizarrely buzzed out into this fantasy world of what looked like giant ice-cubes floating through the air. It was the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, before or since.
wow you've had some awesome experiences!

Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 AM

430 posts, read 1,250,987 times
- Two years in northern Yemen (late 80s)
- Trekking through Borneo (2004)
- Bobo Dioulasso, Upper Volta (now Burkina Faso) in 1982-83
- Two months of living in a 6-person camp in the middle-of-nowhere Alaska ~ nearest "neighbor" was a 2-person weather station an hour helicopter flight away (1981)
- A week spent in a rural village in Cambodia building houses (2007)
- Lake Awasa, Ethiopia (1979-80)

The list could go on for a while ... but I think these are probably the most remote or off-the-beaten path places I've been. My username probably should have been "Wanderlust".

Old 03-08-2010, 11:35 AM

16,233 posts, read 27,281,262 times
Drvenik Mali - population 52.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drvenik_Mali_(island)

Old 03-08-2010, 12:50 PM

860 posts, read 2,045,546 times
I'm lucky to live in the most unique off the beaten path I've ever been.

Old 03-08-2010, 07:48 PM

2,126 posts, read 2,373,751 times
Svalbard on Midsummers! Very remote and EPIC...in that stark extreme North way.

Old 03-08-2010, 08:47 PM

747 posts, read 2,745,436 times
Cox's Bazaar and the Sundarbans in Bangladesh, respectively the world's longest stretch of unbroken sand beach and largest tidal mangrove forest

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World