Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2010, 04:13 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times

Advertisements

Good Foreign Places For Uninsured Americans To Receive Medical Procedures?
Lately, I've been very interested in the possibilities of minor surgery (such as hernia and appendix) done in foreign countries.
I'm not interested in major procedures as heart, lung, hip replacement, etc.
Specifically, I'd like to know more about medical treatment in lands close to the United States, like Mexico, in the Caribbean or Central America.
Anyone have experiences? Are there organizations that handle these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 06:24 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,327,781 times
Malaysia. I had a colonoscopy done here for ~$250, when my mother's, done in the USA, cost between $2,000 and $3,000. Have also had dental surgery (replaced a molar), again for ~$150. The doctors are well-trained in the private clinics, and do not charge very much relative to the USA.

Take a medical tour. Go for an island vacation before or after your surgery (Tioman, Redang, Perhentians).

Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 PM

22 posts, read 47,235 times
I had my dental work done in Costa Rica last year. This job was estimated for $21,000 in Atlanta (several crowns, grafting and two implants) and cost me $4,200 over there. Plus travel and living approximately $700-800 for a week.
BTW, all dentists there are US Board certified.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:24 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Just curious, how do you people go about finding reputable physicans, dentists, etc. in other countries to have ,exams,surgeries, implants,etc. done? Is there a website or something that provides reference checks and referrals as well as accreditation/certification of these medical professionals? I saw a story on ABC Nightline about some woman going to India to get some kind of surgery and stayed in a nice resort to recuperate. It was included in her medical package!

Old 03-11-2010, 07:39 PM

22 posts, read 47,235 times
Quote:
Just curious, how do you people go about finding reputable physicans, dentists, etc. in other countries to have ,exams,surgeries, implants,etc. done?
I goggled "US board certified dentists Costa Rica". It gave me a lot of web-sites and forums where people shared their experiences. Then during my vacation I visited several dentists over there and made my decision.

Old 03-11-2010, 09:04 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,040,205 times
Myself, I'm more adventuresome and willing to take risks.

Whenever I've been to anywhere in Central or South America, I just sniff the place out, using intuition, and haven't had a bad experience yet, whether it be a crown in Tandil, Argentina, a crown in Ambato, Ecuador, a crown in Tijuana, Mexico, or various fillings or teeth cleanings in Auchapan, El Salvador and Tarija, Bolivia.

I'm sure there are dentists who aren't U.S. certified who will do the job equally as well with lower costs. Just by accident, my dentist in Tijuana is U.S. certified. But, at the time, I wasn't seeking that out. I just headed to a dental clinic where the locals went for dental work, not to the dentists with the fancy websites and who can speak English. And you will pay extra for that!

I know enough Spanish, so an English speaking Dentist or any other medical practioner I meet with, is not necessary.

And don't forget the International Red Cross clinics to be found all over the world who will provide quality care. I used one in Guatemala City one time for a spider bite.
$3 for a Dr. visit, and surprise! The Doctor spoke English!

They just opened up a new clinic in Rosarito Beach, Baja, Mexico last month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World