Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 01:30 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,626,290 times

Advertisements

You said your college has lots of international students, try cultivating those people and learning about other cultures. Work on your shyness.
I think it would be wonderful to go to another country and work. How about the Peace Corp once you get out of school ? If I was younger, that is what I would do.
Good luck to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2010, 02:21 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,099 times
If you've never been outside of your state, you might want to at least venture out and visit the rest of the US. Lots of people from around the world come to the US because they think it's "exciting and different".
But if you want to see the rest of the world (I don't blame you, who wouldn't) why not just go? If you have the money saved up, do some traveling, or you can even try doing an exchange student program and study abroad for a while.
All I hear are excuses and what ifs, you won't know until you try. Do you think those that come to the US to study are confident and so sure about what life would be like here for them? Most people feel that way when they're moving to a different location, it doesn't matter if it's to another state or another country.
If you really want this you need to suck it up and just do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by collegestudentfromalabama View Post
Hi,

I'm currently a college student from a small city in the South. I'm sort of getting tired of life here. The college has a lot of international students who go home during the Summer to exciting places like South America, South Africa, Asia, the Middle East, or Europe. I'm getting tired of life here. I could tell you a lot of things about this region, and maybe it has a little potential, but what about the rest of the world?

I'm studying to be a teacher, and teaching abroad sounds really appealing, but I don't really know how I would do it comfortably. I also think I would probably have a hard time making friends in another country.

I'm a little upset at myself for not making more of an effort to learn about the rest of the world. If I tried to live in a foreign country, there's a chance I would have trouble making friends, a lot of trouble.

Old 03-13-2010, 02:49 PM

332 posts, read 644,068 times
Quote:
Funny how we always want to be somewhere else.
Most Americans I have met have absolutely not interest in moving to a different country. To visit yes, but to live no.

Old 03-13-2010, 03:35 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times
I've lived in Egypt for 2 years, Sweden for 1 year and a half, and either took a really long trip to or lived in Denmark for 4 months.

So, I say go for it.

You can always go somewhere and teach English

Dave's ESL Cafe

And take advantage of all of these people in your classes. At the least you might be able to go with them next time they go home.

I have couch offers all over the world, and a waiting list for my couch here in NY

Old 03-13-2010, 03:40 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,015,751 times
I lived in germany for 2 yrs & it was great. You're still young & making friends is not always easy but it can be done. Life in other countries are quite diff & intresting. Just dont move to the middle east.

Old 03-13-2010, 10:05 PM

740 posts, read 1,973,052 times
I believe everyone should do some world travel and become a bit more cultured. When you return to the US, you will appreciate it more.

Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 AM

2,450 posts, read 5,599,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
he admitts he struggles to make friends with people from other countries.
The OP never said this.

Last edited by bluebeard; 03-14-2010 at 10:57 AM..

Old 03-15-2010, 09:42 AM

121 posts, read 339,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
I believe everyone should do some world travel and become a bit more cultured.
Indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan_Adventurer View Post
When you return to the US, you will appreciate it more.
Not necessarily. After 4 years abroad I came back and then left again 2 years later. Living abroad tought me that America ain't all it's cracked up to be. Over 12 years away and still glad I left.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:01 AM

139 posts, read 441,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochTheSleestak View Post
Indeed

Not necessarily. After 4 years abroad I came back and then left again 2 years later. Living abroad tought me that America ain't all it's cracked up to be. Over 12 years away and still glad I left.
My sentiments exactly. I have never been fortunate enough to live abroad but it is my dream to permanently relocate to Brazil and I know I will have no desire to return to America.

Old 03-15-2010, 10:38 AM

1,955 posts, read 5,265,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnochTheSleestak View Post

I spent roughly four years away and have been back a little over two years. I would agree with "not necessarily."

There are certainly a lot of things I appreciated about America more when I returned, for example, the ease and low cost of setting up a business as well as general day-to-day conveniences.

Still, after another few years years, I see a strong likelihood of relocating to somewhere in Europe with my family. The reasons are partly personal, partly professional.

With the right mindset, one can be happy in most places, and one should never think that moving overseas will solve their problems, because one is just as likely to run into even more problems that way. A move overseas should only be undertaken when there is a clear lifestyle advantage afforded by the foreign country that is realistic and affordable for the person moving or a clear professional advantage that would be gained by such a move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World