U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2007, 11:34 PM

255 posts, read 1,155,826 times

Advertisements

I have always wanted to visit other areas of the South Pacific than Australia and Papua New Guinea. I want my husband and I to go soon and so I feel this urgency to make a decision. My personal favourite is the Cook Islands - I have a brochure on my desk to motivate me. I also love French Polynesia and Tonga where I would love to go sea kayaking. Yep, even those of us who are "mature" still have a yearning for adventure. My question is: which of the islands of the South Pacific should I visit first. Those I've mentioned or others, like Fiji? My husband needs air conditioning he says so that's an important consideration. We also need to think about the cost while we're there and accessibility. Any comments and comparisons if you have travelled the area would be very much appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2007, 05:55 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,514,476 times
PLEEEEEASE visit Nauru! I've been in love with that country for almost eight years now, and I would love to visit! Ok, it's not a "tourist-paradise", but there is something appealing... And if you would go there, maybe you could tell me all about it, so I could get some...inside information!
You don't need to stay long, I've heard there's a flight between Fiji (? Not sure about if it's Fiji or some other place) and Australia that makes a stop over for three days on the island...

(This is unfair, really. The pacific islands (countries) have been my favorite corner of the world for years now - although I hate warm places... Please take me with you! )

Otherwise, if I was in your position, I would visit the Salomone Islands (spelling?) since they seem to have a very interesting culture...

Old 06-15-2007, 05:16 PM

9 posts, read 21,681 times
Come and visit Papua New Guinea!!!

It has some of the best natural sceneries in the world!!

Well, I have attached some pics from the Highlands of Papua New Guinea..

Jordy
Attached Thumbnails
Are there any fans of the South Pacific Out There?-rimg0068.jpg   Are there any fans of the South Pacific Out There?-sg3station.jpg   Are there any fans of the South Pacific Out There?-waterfall.jpg  

Old 06-16-2007, 05:17 AM

14,230 posts, read 28,429,307 times
You could sell me on going anywhere in the South Pacific! I do love Tahiti. I've been there 3 times.

If I had a lot of time, there's a freighter called the Aranui that sails all around Tahiti and the Marquesas. Always thought that sounded like a great experience.

Old 06-21-2007, 02:43 PM

255 posts, read 1,155,826 times
Jordy, Hi:

I've actually lived in PNG and visited many times before that, which is why I excluded it. But thanks for your invitation. I truly would love to return but I would like to see other places that I haven't visited first.

And thanks for the photos. They are so beautiful, I felt "at home".

aussiegal

Old 07-01-2007, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,376 times
Hey there, I lived on nauru from 77-79. Best young times of my life! Its tragic whats happening over there, im saving hard to go back for a visit. Everything looks different now but man do I miss it.

Old 08-05-2007, 05:12 PM

79 posts, read 239,818 times
I spent 4 years sailing throughout the South Pacific.
Most of my favorite places were-

The Solomon Islands
Vanuatu
The Santa Cruz islands
Tikopia (very Remote)
The Trobriand Islands

Google them, perhaps you'll find something you'll like.

The people are wonderful.........

I've also lived in Fiji but that's way commercialized.
It depends on what you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World