Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 02:07 PM

1 posts, read 3,426 times

Advertisements

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, so sorry if this isn't the standard form of posting. The reason some other cities weren't mentioned in the title is because I am 18, so the drinking age cant be over 18.

I am looking to go on vacation with some friends this summer, June-Mid August. We are all college aged professional poker players and will be working on the computer during the day mostly, so the main thing that matters is night life.We will be going out 3-5 times a week drinking, and want to have as much fun as possible.

Another issue is language barriers. Since we have to play poker in the daytime for 6-8 hours, if we were to go to Buenos Aires, that doesn't really leave any time for spanish lessons(what with nightlife ending at 7 am, waking up at 3 pm, 6-8 hrs = 11pm supper time and time to start over again). So all I would be able to learn is around 40 lessons of Pimsleur. From what I can read, while lots of businesses might have somebody that speaks english, as a whole most people don't. I'm thinking this makes Buenos Aires a worse choice temporarily, as it will be hard to talk to girls etc at clubs when we only have pimsleur as spanish experience?

How is the language barrier in Montreal? From what I understand its about 50/50 with people who speak fluent english and people who don't, so I'm thinking that while 40 lessons of pimsleur won't really go all that far in Buenos Aires, it will go a lot further in Montreal. Is this an accurate observation?

I also was considering Auckland, as some lists had it as in the top 10 nightlife cities of the world. After reading some of the comments, almost everybody seemed to disagree. What do you guys think about this?

I am also curious about dating culture. As far as I can tell/have read, Auckland doesn't really have a dating culture so much as a get-drunk-and-have-one-night-stand-first culture. As far as Buenos Aires, from what I've read the guys are generally very aggressive there, which lead to the girls being very passive and game-playing, and generally not doing anything beyond kissing for the first while. I don't really know anything about Montreal in this aspect.

Also, out of these places which one would you rank as having the best food/restaurants?

Since it probably is relevant, our budget will be about 3000 USD each per month after paying rent.

I realize some of these questions might have seemed a bit weird, but it would be much appreciated if you guys can give your opinions. I've done a ton of research, bordering on obsession, but I'm just looking for some more opinions. As of now I'm probably leaning towards Montreal, but I'm not positive. If any of you guys can think of a city that is better suited to the aims of this trip, suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 06:42 PM

33 posts, read 85,245 times
Hi Zomboid,

Im from Buenos Aires and i haven't practiced my english in quite a while so be patient with me.

As for the nigthlife and dating culture here you have plenty, and i mean it, of options to do at night. The language to get to meet a girl could be an advantage or just the opposite. For example, if you go to a club outside downtown (thing that i'm pretty sure you won't) the language is going to be a barrier for sure. However, in downtown there are plenty of clubs where immigrants go and there go girls that know english and want to meet a foreigner. (I think that half of them have the stupid idea that he/she is gona fall in love and take her away and the other half wants to gossip with her best friend that he has been dating with a foreigner so she is really cool ).
In conclusion, girls will love your accent, trust me.
You alse mention that you believe girls are passive. I would say that it depends where you go but in general they will let you know clearly , maybe with a look , maybe telling you so, os its not that they are so passive. Obviously, it dependes where you go, but as i said before the fact that your native language is english should be a plus, not something negative.

For the last with USD 3.000 after rent you can live like a king here. Take into account that an average wage is let say ARS 3.500 which are less tah USD 1.000. (0,25 USD= 1 ARS) To live fairly well you need about let say USD 2.000 and thats before considerign the rent, taxes, food, etc ,etc.

Hope to be useful.

Where are you form? Just for curiosity?

Old 05-04-2010, 03:09 AM

14,767 posts, read 17,120,283 times
Auckland isn't that big a city ...

FYR the legal drinking age in Australia is 18.

If you were thinking of going as far as NZ,it might be worth considering ...

Old 05-04-2010, 04:14 PM

312 posts, read 910,239 times
Buenos Aires hands down.
Or I would go to Bogot√° if it's just about the ladies.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:00 PM

33 posts, read 85,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stolpioni View Post
Buenos Aires hands down.
Or I would go to Bogot√° if it's just about the ladies.
Why do you consider bs as the best hands down?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World