Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2010, 04:46 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,254,471 times

Advertisements

Everyone has heard of Rosetta Stone, but it's so pricey.
Any suggestions for a great learning program. I'm interested for adults and another one for kids.

We're interested in learning French.

Thanks,

Alley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 05:14 PM

61,110 posts, read 85,909,223 times
Get you books and tapes from Berlitz ( most big bookstores has them ) for the basics. Then travel. Nothing compares to learning "live". You can spend tons of $$$ on learning in the best Language School ( Berlitz again , but if you don't plan to travel so soon you finish it and practice ( read, listen while you there ) you will forget most of what you learned. If you don't want to travel see if you can join any club/group of people that speak this language.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:18 PM

9,296 posts, read 14,188,570 times
Sit your butt in a chair and study an old-fashion grammar book, like it used to be, should be thin and cost no more than $7.95 plus tax. Take about six weeks, or six months, to go through it with a fine tooth comb and take notes.

Try to find the fun PBS series "French In Action", maybe on DVD now.

Or better, as elnina says, go!

Old 04-30-2010, 05:23 PM

67 posts, read 150,651 times
i never really liked berlitz. always seemed touristy to me. of course the majority just want to learn a language so they aren't out in the cold while traveling. you can check online, i found a Japanese tutor that would do written lessons for $25 from start to finish and oral for $50 a month. That is if you want to LEARN the language and not just memorize it.

Old 05-01-2010, 01:04 AM

5,921 posts, read 13,785,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Get you books and tapes from Berlitz ( most big bookstores has them ) for the basics. Then travel. Nothing compares to learning "live". You can spend tons of $$$ on learning in the best Language School ( Berlitz again , but if you don't plan to travel so soon you finish it and practice ( read, listen while you there ) you will forget most of what you learned. If you don't want to travel see if you can join any club/group of people that speak this language.
The way to learn a language ...
The best way is *Total immersion*, but is also the most difficult to engage in.
So the next best way is to do like all other things learned.
1 - Read (see what you learn)
2 - Speak (hear your own voice)
3 - Listen (to a source, other then your own voice)

Thus Elnina has one of the best suggestions, tapes and books.
You definitely need some grammar, and then just a vocabulary of about 500 to 1000 words (Memory). Then after that practice, practice, practice.

I realise, Rosetta is pricey, but I think Microsoft has one in French, not so pricey, and is a good start.

Elnina and I are polyglots, so learning another language is rather easy for us. Still the (1,2,3) methodogy above, is the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World