Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2010, 03:28 AM

327 posts, read 644,806 times

Advertisements

Hey all, I am a 21 year old male and I am trying to get some info on cities that someone my age would enjoy.

I am currently a contractor in Iraq and plan on doing it for another year or so. I am looking for countries/cities that have American universities so I can finish my studies overseas. Since I have the chance to be my age and making this kind of money I've decided I want to live somewhere else other than the states.

I'm interested in cities with great American schools as mentioned above, but also an affordable cost of living, great nightlife, live music scene, friendly people(I like going out to get some coffee and making a new friend), generally favorable temperatures. I am from Florida so I am used to hot, sticky summers. Somewhere that English is spoken and understood would be great as I learn the countries primary language. I expect immigrants coming to America to learn English and I would expect someone in a country I am moving to to expect me to learn their language. Just common courtesy, in my opinion.

So far I've had a few ideas of places I'd like to live.
Berlin
Edinburgh
Auckland
Perth
Melbourne
Tokyo
Barcelona
Copenhagen
Prague
Stockholm
Shanghai
Hong Kong

If anybody has any experiences with this place and could answer a few of the questions that I have, I would very much appreciate it. There is only so much information that I can find online and I'd much prefer to hear it from the horses mouth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 03:33 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,365,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budke View Post
. I am looking for countries/cities that have American universities so I can finish my studies overseas. Since I have the chance to be my age and making this kind of money I've decided I want to live somewhere else other than the states.

I'm interested in cities with great American schools as mentioned above, but also an affordable cost of living, great nightlife, live music scene, friendly people(I like going out to get some coffee and making a new friend), generally favorable temperatures.
Other than the winter Mcgill University in Montreal might fit your criteria .McGill University

Old 05-09-2010, 03:47 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,957,434 times
Basically you are just listing a bunch of cities. Instead of giving a huge list and having a bunch of people comment on random cities which in the end will get you nowhere.. how about you find a place you are genuinely interested in with a language and culture you actually want to learn about instead of some random person on the internet saying something is cool. In the end other people's ideas are useless, you have to choose what is your best fit and what you would enjoy the most.

Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM

221 posts, read 535,862 times
out of the cities youve mentioned, ive been to
stockholm
berlin
copenhagen

for me, stockholm and berlin both beat copenhagen. stockholm is obviously the prettiest city out of the 3 and surely it has much prettier women than berlin

being a scandinavian, id take stockholm over berlin. berlin might be bigger and all that, but for me stockholm is much better. you might have some problems there during the winter, though. those are just my two cents. good luck with making a choice!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World