Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2010, 06:17 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,983,727 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know anything about this test? Difficult? Does bad credit affect whether you are hired or not should you pass the test? How long before you are notified? Anyone here has experience being a FSO?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 04:41 PM

302 posts, read 1,098,510 times
I'm taking the test soon. I've heard it is hard, other might say its easy. The point of it is to weed a bunch of people out. I read that out of 100k who applied in a time period only between 3k-4k got a job. Bad Credit will affect your ability to get a job, since its a government one and you also hold a security clearance. They're worried that since you've had money problems, you might have it again or if you currently have money problems then you'll be more likely to take a bribe.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:25 AM

5,553 posts, read 7,983,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsurfer05 View Post
I'm taking the test soon. I've heard it is hard, other might say its easy. The point of it is to weed a bunch of people out. I read that out of 100k who applied in a time period only between 3k-4k got a job. Bad Credit will affect your ability to get a job, since its a government one and you also hold a security clearance. They're worried that since you've had money problems, you might have it again or if you currently have money problems then you'll be more likely to take a bribe.
Thank you! I know someone who is going to take it real soon and they are sweating bullets. One of the questions they asked me was about bad credit as they have had a few minor problems with that here and there. They are just seeking a break, as they want to "get away" and thought this would be a great opportunity. I told her I would post the questions here and see what happens.

Old 05-15-2010, 01:43 PM

710 posts, read 3,384,544 times
The test is easier now than it used to be. When I first took it, you wrote your essays in the 'little blue books' from school days.

Now it's computerized, and the questions depend on which cone you pick. When you pass, (score comes out a few months afte the test) now you have to answer a few essay questions (called the QEP)

After that comes the FSOA, medical and clearance, and A100

Credit is one aspect of the clearance and suitability phases.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:01 AM

15,832 posts, read 21,346,463 times
JI603- the questions are not based on what cone you pick.

I passed the written exam on my first try in the beginning of March (and got my results at the end of March). I thought it was rather easy, but I also am finishing up my last year as an international studies and politics double major (which are economics heavy majors) and read several national and international newspapers daily, so my brain is in the right place for it. If you are considering taking the exam, I would suggest reading at least the NYT daily and making sure you understand the constitution, the way in which government is organized, economics 101, basic math, history, major Supreme Court cases, and some business practices. Also, practice writing concise, clear essays in half an hour. I did not prep at all while others I tested with had studied for months. A lot depends on your background and the questions you get.

I turned in my QEP essay questions at the beginning of April and am still waiting to hear my results. The QEP is perhaps the most frustrating part because you have no idea what about your application gets you cut. It's also fairly difficult because you need to answer 5 essay questions and have a reference for each experience. For someone later in their career, this might not be difficult, but for me it took a bit of creative thought.

The process is long. If I pass the QEP, it will be a few months before I go to DC to interview, and by the time everything is said and done, if I was hired it would not be until about next May at the earliest.

It can't hurt to take the written test. It's free and you can take it yearly until you pass.

Old 05-16-2010, 12:42 AM

710 posts, read 3,384,544 times
If you say so.

My QEP pass letter came 3 months after my written results, and my oral board was scheduled 2 months after that.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:52 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,217,162 times
I spent several years overseas working at the US Embassies in the 80s. Loved every minute of it. It's not for everyone. Too many people didn't understand what a hardship posting is and were surprised that some of the luxuries we take for granted in the US were not available. I have no idea how they got in.

I'm sure the standards for the test have changed since then so I'll let those that have recent experience elaborate about it.

Old 08-03-2010, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 4,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Does anyone know anything about this test? Difficult? Does bad credit affect whether you are hired or not should you pass the test? How long before you are notified? Anyone here has experience being a FSO?
[FONT=Verdana]Can you please tell me what the first step is in this process and also what kind of study material should I buy or get? I would like to work in the Consular Affairs. [/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]This is my dream job. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]Thank you so much for your help.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT]

Old 04-17-2013, 10:31 PM

3,982 posts, read 6,712,298 times
Yikes so only 3 to 4% make the final cut? I'm guessing if you do not know a second language you are pretty much not going to make it.......Hmmm, probably a lot easier to get a job working for a multinational corporation outside the country, but of course that does not provide the same satisfaction and motivation.

So where are the US testing sites?

I was looking for specialties like GIS but did not see anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World