Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2010, 08:48 AM

321 posts, read 961,436 times

Advertisements

This looks like it is really going off track.

Singapore is a developed country surrounded by not-yet-developed countries.
Israel is a member of most of the European organizations (Eurovision, the European sports leagues, etc.) while not being in Europe at all.
Jamaica devotes a cult to Ethiopia, halfway around the globe.
Suriname, Belize, Guyana and French Guyana are linguistic outcasts on their continent.
Most Mauritians are of Indian rather than African origin; in fact I don't remember seeing any black people there at all.
The Maltese look (and act) Italian but their language is closer to Arabic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2010, 10:15 AM

4,432 posts, read 6,994,903 times
Kosovo, Albania and Bosnia as they are the only European nations that an majority of people are muslim.

The Spanish enclaves in Africa which surround Morroco.

Gibraltar which is part of UK but surrounds Spain.

North Korea : only Stalinist Marxist style of country in the world that still exists.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:16 AM

302 posts, read 1,102,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by other99 View Post

The Spanish enclaves in Africa which surround Morroco.

Gibraltar which is part of UK but surrounds Spain.
Grammar Police!!! enclave = surrounded

Old 06-03-2010, 12:40 PM

4,207 posts, read 15,275,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gaduchman View Post
All of the Caribbean is black. Even Cubans, by and large are Moroccan blacks. The only whites are from Europe and North America.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moskiter View Post
And Australia, New Zealand, Uruguay, Argenitna, Brazil, Chile and some South Africa (only 11%). But generally all whites outside Europe are of European origin.
North Africa's countries of Morroco, Tunisia and Algeria are also over 90% white.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:21 AM

5,758 posts, read 11,651,762 times
Quote:
Belize - It's the only former English colony in Central America and is sometimes classed more as "Caribbean."
That's an interesting part of the world. Actually, the Caribbean coast of Central America from Belize down to Nicaragua has large communities of "Garifuna" people - the creole descendants of tribes like the Arawak, the occasional European settler, and stranded or escaped African slaves from elsewhere in the Caribbean.

Many of them speak an English creole or a native-based language also called "Garifuna" rather than Spanish.

That's also why there are towns like "Livingston" on Guatemala's Caribbean shore, or "Bluefields" in Nicaragua.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,593,257 times
Neat.

Ethiopia was unusual for most of the history of its region and might still count as unusual. It has its own continuous Christianity since the 4th/5th c. AD and that Christianity is still the majority or plurality faith. For centuries all its neighbors were either Muslim or Animist/Pagan. Even now I'd say its neighbors are largely Muslim or Animist. Except for the conquest by Mussolini it retained its independence throughout its history, which is unusual in Africa and somewhat unusual for anywhere. I know I know "except for Mussolini, well then it doesn't count!" but most African nations were occupied by Europeans for at least a generation, I believe Mussolini was only in for 8-9 years so that might count more as an "interruption" than a lasting colonialism.

Old 06-04-2010, 04:02 PM

354 posts, read 856,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Neat.

Ethiopia was unusual for most of the history of its region and might still count as unusual. It has its own continuous Christianity since the 4th/5th c. AD and that Christianity is still the majority or plurality faith. For centuries all its neighbors were either Muslim or Animist/Pagan. Even now I'd say its neighbors are largely Muslim or Animist. Except for the conquest by Mussolini it retained its independence throughout its history, which is unusual in Africa and somewhat unusual for anywhere. I know I know "except for Mussolini, well then it doesn't count!" but most African nations were occupied by Europeans for at least a generation, I believe Mussolini was only in for 8-9 years so that might count more as an "interruption" than a lasting colonialism.
I was going to say Ethiopia too.

Lebanon also has a lot of Europeen qualities for being in the Middle East.

Old 06-04-2010, 09:10 PM

1,139 posts, read 1,996,223 times
Some people will say the Philippines is out of place in SE Asia - we have a more Christian-Hispanic culture than the more Asian neighbors according to those people...

I heard that many Europeans don't exactly accept the UK also as one of them. And Russia is a different creature altogether - not completely accepted by either the Western or Asian blocs!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:26 AM

3 posts, read 9,749 times
We could just conclude that Black people are everywhere and that's a good thing of course. I believe NBA wouldn't be as exciting as it is if they're not the majority of people playing it. By the way, can anybody here recommend a place to stay for 2 weeks in Madagascar? Pictures of Madagascar

Old 07-07-2010, 11:27 AM

589 posts, read 758,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
False. Cuba is no longer majority white but is probably about 40-45% white. Puerto Rico is majority white.

And even on the majority black islands one can find people of all races or mixtures of different races.

PR is nowhere near to being majority white. Thier census may say that, but its not true. They count nearly everyone who has a single drop of white ancestry as white. The vast majority are mixed race [mulatto] and look that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World