Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 09:10 PM

4,432 posts, read 7,003,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
What are some countries that are very different from their neighbors? One I can think of is Haiti - an African country stuck in the western hemisphere.
Well Haiti is in the Carribean and an majority of inhabbitants on most of these islands are black. Anyway Brazil could be counted as well as at least 40% are of African ansestory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 09:13 PM

Greenland as you barely hear about it even though its one of Canada's neighbours.

Last edited by other99; 07-08-2010 at 09:15 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-09-2010, 01:46 PM

139 posts, read 442,014 times
All I can say about Brazil and Brazilians is that whatever their race/nationality/mixture they are BEAUTIFUL. I have never seen such gorgeous people in my life. South of Brazil mostly white (German/Spanish/Italian descent) and north of Sao Paulo was more mediterranean white, Asian, black or mixed.

Brazil has the largest "black" population outside of Nigeria but based on my personal opinion (and as a black American) most of the population appeared to be of mixed racial background much more so than the typical African-American in the United States. By US standards (and racial obsession) Brazilians are not as easily classifiable unless you only believe that blonde blue-eyed people are the only whites out there. If we are using American standards no one would be considered white unless they were blonde and blue-eyed. Well I have met people from the Dominican Republic who do not see themselves as the same as Haitians. The Dominicans see themselves as mixed or even white and consider the haitians to be "black" as do others in Latin America. "Black" to them means a person who is of pure or almost pure African ancestry. That is why only 7% of Brazilians call themselves black because few are of pure African ancestry.

I'm not going to get into the social/political reasons for racial identification and classification and the negative historical connotations of identifying as "black" which exists both in North and South America.

Old 07-09-2010, 04:04 PM

42 posts, read 69,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
I say Brazil.....is just amazing to me that they have been able to maintain their culture despite being surrounded by Spain-conquered countries. By the way, Brazil runs the gamut from european white to african black, and everything in between.
maybe because brazil has a huge population and they are separated by huge amazon.

Old 07-09-2010, 08:20 PM

37 posts, read 106,994 times
UK: In both language and culture their more like Canadians, Americans, Australians, and New Zelanders than mainland Europeans. I heard this from a British guy.

Israel: In both politics and religion from their Middle Eastern counterparts.

Hong Kong: Well its has a different lifestyle than Mainland China. Plus they use Traditional writing instead of Simplified like Mainland China does plus they have their own currency. Yes I know they were once a British Colony

Singapore: As one poster said it is a developed country surrounded by developing countries plus it is more culturally diverse than the other East Asian Countries

Phillipness: One of the few predominantly Christian countries in Asia

Indonesia: Country with the highest population of Muslims (the nation's population is 230 million) sandwiched between Austrailia and Maylasia Muslims are slight majority there but has a primarly Christian neighbors Papua New Guinea and East Timor.

Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt: The differences between these nations and the rest of Africa is when people hear Africa they imagine Black people, safari, and starvation not pyramids and Arabs.

Mauritius: My boyfriend is from there its of the coast from Madagascar the majority racial background is Indian the religious makeup is very diverse Hindus about half the population but quite a number of Christians and Muslims and the main language is Mauritius Creole, their culture is a mix of Indian and Creole and has the best quality of life in Africa (I am not saying its at European standards) which adds more cultural differences compared to the most of Africa.

South Africa: Even though blacks are a majority their is more different races than most African nations, Apartheid enough said, and the most self-explanatory country name ever.

Brazil is very different but my reasons as to why would be parroting other posts.

Quebec is different from the rest of Canada so much they want to separate.

Last edited by Prisma Jaydes; 07-09-2010 at 08:48 PM..

Old 07-09-2010, 09:02 PM

1,121 posts, read 6,563,561 times
Brazil is not "out of place" in South America. Guyana, French Guyana and Suriname are.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma Jaydes View Post
UK: In both language and culture their more like Canadians, Americans, Australians, and New Zelanders than mainland Europeans. I heard this from a British guy.

Israel: In both politics and religion from their Middle Eastern counterparts.

Hong Kong: Well its has a different lifestyle than Mainland China. Plus they use Traditional writing instead of Simplified like Mainland China does plus they have their own currency. Yes I know they were once a British Colony

Singapore: As one poster said it is a developed country surrounded by developing countries plus it is more culturally diverse than the other East Asian Countries

Phillipness: One of the few predominantly Christian countries in Asia

Indonesia: Country with the highest population of Muslims (the nation's population is 230 million) sandwiched between Austrailia and Maylasia Muslims are slight majority there but has a primarly Christian neighbors Papua New Guinea and East Timor.

Morocco, Tunisia, Libya, and Egypt: The differences between these nations and the rest of Africa is when people hear Africa they imagine Black people, safari, and starvation not pyramids and Arabs.

Mauritius: My boyfriend is from there its of the coast from Madagascar the majority racial background is Indian the religious makeup is very diverse Hindus about half the population but quite a number of Christians and Muslims and the main language is Mauritius Creole, their culture is a mix of Indian and Creole and has the best quality of life in Africa (I am not saying its at European standards) which adds more cultural differences compared to the most of Africa.

South Africa: Even though blacks are a majority their is more different races than most African nations, Apartheid enough said, and the most self-explanatory country name ever.

Brazil is very different but my reasons as to why would be parroting other posts.

Quebec is different from the rest of Canada so much they want to separate.
Well neighbouring Malaysia is very multicultural and may be even more dirverse than Singapore. Even INdonesia is very dirverse as well.

Last edited by other99; 07-10-2010 at 12:56 AM.. Reason: edit

Old 07-10-2010, 04:19 AM

143 posts, read 742,958 times
as far as the language.Finland vs Sweden

Old 07-10-2010, 05:42 PM

228 posts, read 697,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prisma Jaydes View Post

South Africa is not that different from it's neighbours. Most southern and eastern African countries have a sizable Indian and white Population, and small East Asian population.

Southern Africa (well, technically all of Africa) was under White minority rule, South Africa just lasted longer.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:39 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,060,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimzyMusic View Post
What are some countries that are very different from their neighbors? One I can think of is Haiti - an African country stuck in the western hemisphere.
Easy North Korea next to South Korea..
Thailand next to Myanmar
Papua New Guinea next to Indonesia or Oz..
The Melanesian Islands next to the Polynesian Islands..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World