U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 02:49 PM

1,126 posts, read 2,517,713 times

Advertisements

it depends on the degree. For example, pharmacists are wanted in the USA, as baby-boomers are retiring now and there is enough room for foreigners to fill.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 12:01 AM

196 posts, read 873,589 times
i think people are being overly pessimistic. Yes, stuff like medical/law/education will be difficult because a degree is really part of their training and there are strict guidelines for certification. The business world is a whole different story. Some might have strict guidelines for hiring and some might not even notice or care where your school was located.

Old 03-03-2008, 12:12 AM

1,669 posts, read 5,809,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
well- in S Florida I worked with an attorney who was from Nicaragua. When he came to the US the Florida bar didnt accept his law degree- and he had to start all over again. Other degrees probably vary in different areas.
That makes perfect sense since the two counties have different laws. He studied the laws and legal system of Nicaragua, not the United States.

Old 03-06-2008, 09:27 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,517,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_from_Debary View Post
I had a class with a woman who was a doctor in another country (Romania I think?) and had to do some additional schooling here and then pass boards before she could practice.
that happens with every foreign doctor that intends to practice in the US. actually, he must complete about 4 years of residency in an American hospital before licensing.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:07 AM

1 posts, read 6,414 times
I have a BS in Business Admin from a state University in New York and I am currently studying my masters (MS "Siviløkonom") in Economics and Bus. Admin. in Norway. It was my thinking that if i could either get (relevant) work here while earning my masters degree or follow up my degree with a year of work experience before i came home to the US of A, that my degree would be easily accepted by employers, if not over shadowed by the international work experience i had gotten.

Any comments, especially from people with some specific knowledge about international business position employment in America, or Scandinavian and/or Norwegian degree acceptance in America would be really appreciated!

Maybe a person working in Human Resources now who can give their opinion???

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 05:47 AM

1,915 posts, read 7,507,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talktobrent View Post
i think people are being overly pessimistic. Yes, stuff like medical/law/education will be difficult because a degree is really part of their training and there are strict guidelines for certification. The business world is a whole different story. Some might have strict guidelines for hiring and some might not even notice or care where your school was located.
I have to disagree about the medical statement... the U.S. hires people from Eastern Asia to be doctors and such in droves.

Old 05-05-2009, 05:58 AM

2,980 posts, read 7,580,331 times
I know that degrees here are recognised worldwide especially medical i.e nursing. I can go straight into a nursing job in the U.S once i graduate with my BSc but i would need to sit my state board license.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:59 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,342,840 times
Well Dallasnative you are not very well informed are you.
You say that Oxford & Cambridge are the only universities in the UK that match the standard of universities in the US.
I attended Imperial College London currently ranked as the 5th best university in the world.
There is , also in London, the London School of Economics, known as the LSE, John & Robert Kennedy studied here.
These are just two of the world class colleges in the UK, maybe Oxford & Cambridge are the only ones you've heard of in Texas.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:15 PM

1,915 posts, read 7,507,285 times
Ahh.. that reminds me, Philosophy degrees from Oxford are like gold here.. you can automatically get a job like anywhere in the U.S. with one of those, lol.

Old 05-05-2009, 08:21 PM

281 posts, read 410,961 times
If you want to study hard sciences I think it really doesn't matter. Perhaps you might have more resources available if you go to a top school here, but the level is pretty much the same anywhere. Heck, at one supposedly well respected university they tried to dissuade students from going to some university in the Netherlands because it was too hard. Especially the world of hard sciences is so international that a PhD in any country in that field will be recognized anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World