U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-13-2010, 01:48 PM

1 posts, read 4,855 times

Advertisements

I am currently studying an MSc in Applied Environmental Sciences at a German University. After starting and thinking about it, I am afraid that my degree might not be recognized in the US, if I decide to return. Any input on this subject?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2010, 02:00 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,840,458 times
Use a comparison study for courses in the school you are attending and an engineering school such as the high end Drexel University in Philadelphia or another university..

You will also need to sit down with an academic advisor....

Old 01-13-2010, 05:25 PM
Status: "Wishing all the best of health!" (set 20 days ago)

36,058 posts, read 36,325,387 times
Degrees from reputable overseas/international universities & colleges are recognized in the USA.
As for lawyers & medical doctors, each country has different laws/regulations connected to the practice of these professions. Therefore, holders of these degrees need additional training when changing countries.

Old 01-16-2010, 01:55 AM

270 posts, read 806,137 times
After a few years in the United States, my aunt also received her green card. (She moved to the US for my uncles work).
In Belgium, she had her master degree as an architect+one year teacher studies.
It was no problem for her to start her own business and to teach in US-schools.

Old 01-16-2010, 02:12 AM

45,157 posts, read 64,597,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by docent View Post
I am a holder of a foreign degree (MSEE) from Poland and I worked in a variety of engineering positions in New York metro area.

First I had my credentials evaluated by World Educational Services (World Education Services - International Education Intelligence). They confirmed that my diploma is an equivalent to MSEE being granted by US universities.

My credentials were accepted by employers with no problems. Once evaluated by WES they are also easily accepted by different city and state agencies.

I even think that in engineering fields foreign diploma can be an advantage compared to average US colleges.

After a few years on the job experience speaks louder than diplomas. I rarely even show my diploma to potential employers any more.

Did you finish your education in post-communistic time? If yes, then you need to ask someone who got their degree in 70's or 80's. You will hear a different story...
Especially in the medical fields.

Old 04-11-2010, 04:23 PM

1 posts, read 4,617 times
hello,

I'm a green card holder , and i have a master degree in software programming from morocco, and i m planning to go work in the United States but i don't know if my diploma will be recognized there or not, because i think that the computer sciences is something common in everywhere!why you think?

thanks in advance

Old 04-12-2010, 06:27 AM

119 posts, read 239,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
Unless you're going to Oxford or Cambridge in the UK, I wouldn't bother. Most Americans have never heard of any other university in the UK, and most of them don't stand up well when compared academically to top and even some second-tier universities here in the US.
I strongly disagree with this statement. The UK is world-renowned for having many very high quality institutions, that is why so many foreign students come here to study. If look at this: http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2009/results

you'll see that 18 of the top 100 unis in the world (on this ranking) are in the UK, as well as 4 out of the top 6. The US has 32 in the top 100 but obviously is a far larger country whose higher education enjoys budgets that dwarf the UKs...for example Harvard's yearly budget is 2 billion (with an endowment of nearly 20 billion), whereas Oxford has to make do with 1.3 billion.

Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,338,811 times
I suppose when you consider that the best Texas has to offer is Rice University, which is ranked at 100th out of 100, it's not surprising that nativeDallasite might not Know what a good universty is.

Old 04-25-2010, 07:42 PM

6 posts, read 25,361 times
Anybody know what the business community in the U.S. thinks of degrees from Europe? i'm looking into enrolling in a Business Admin (Masters) program in Europe. Does America consider these as legit as a U.S. MBA?

Thanks for the help!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:56 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,735,457 times
MA in History of French (Paris) University.
Not that useful in France either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World