U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 12:45 PM

2,774 posts, read 4,385,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frass View Post
what if the degree was attain in a third world country will the degree still be valid in the us?
Except for very specific careers that require a professional designation or registration with a professional corporation, there are no "valid" or "invalid" degrees. You put your degree on your resume, and whether it's from Harvard, Slippery Rock U. or an unknown university in Cameroon, it's up to the person in charge of the hiring to decide whether or not your credentials are good enough. Some people in some situations won't interview anybody not from an elite US school, others will give everyone a shot and won't care where you went to school, and others will be somewhere in between. Some of the latter won't interview anybody with a non-US degree unless it's from a well-known foreign university, but there's no rule about this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 11:02 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,484,976 times
as long as you don't need a license or certification, it does not matter where you obtain your degree. employers will look at your experience and how well you do in the interview.

you can even say you graduated in the US, it does not matter because they don't verify anyway (mostly)

Old 08-01-2014, 11:05 AM

3,445 posts, read 2,484,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frass View Post
what if the degree was attain in a third world country will the degree still be valid in the us?
for medicine, as long as you can pass the exams.

that's true for most license like CPA, Engineers

Old 08-01-2014, 12:14 PM

17,002 posts, read 2,266,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
as long as you don't need a license or certification, it does not matter where you obtain your degree. employers will look at your experience and how well you do in the interview.

you can even say you graduated in the US, it does not matter because they don't verify anyway (mostly)
I have never seen a job applicant with non-US degree who did not have to bring by transcripts evaluated by an accredited agency.

Old 03-18-2015, 03:25 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
I have a education question about using a foreign degree here in California. Can anyone give me a suggestion on my current situation? I am a Californian, i just received my AA degree here from community college, but wish to move to Colombia and get a Bachelors degree and teaching credential for Physical Education at an accredited colombian university. The reason why is family & business related. However I was wondering if upon returning to California, a school district would accept a bachelors from a public university like Colombia and validate a teaching credential and consider my employment? I know that there are various exams to pass and validate certain credentials. How could i investigate this more? I wish to teach PE and sports at the high school level while i continue with a Masters here in California

Old 03-19-2015, 03:44 AM

1,268 posts, read 684,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotslass View Post
I know that degrees here are recognised worldwide especially medical i.e nursing. I can go straight into a nursing job in the U.S once i graduate with my BSc but i would need to sit my state board license.
Nursing licenses are granted by the nursing board of an individual state, but you must pass the NCLEX exam (a national test) to be granted a nursing license. Additional qualifications for licensure may be added by the state, but the NCLEX is mandatory. You may find you cannot go straight into a nursing job in the United States. Different states have different additional requirements.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:18 AM

17,002 posts, read 2,266,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckbleu123 View Post
I have a education question about using a foreign degree here in California. Can anyone give me a suggestion on my current situation? I am a Californian, i just received my AA degree here from community college, but wish to move to Colombia and get a Bachelors degree and teaching credential for Physical Education at an accredited colombian university. The reason why is family & business related. However I was wondering if upon returning to California, a school district would accept a bachelors from a public university like Colombia and validate a teaching credential and consider my employment? I know that there are various exams to pass and validate certain credentials. How could i investigate this more? I wish to teach PE and sports at the high school level while i continue with a Masters here in California
Contact the CA Department of Education for details.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:39 AM

245 posts, read 293,963 times
How can an EU-dentist easy come to work ie in Az, Mi, Hi or any other place?

Old 06-29-2015, 06:15 AM

5,823 posts, read 10,741,483 times
Foreign degrees worth nothing in the USA?

It's worse than that. As a young guy I wanted to do a sabbatical in the US. People sternly told me that if I entertained the slightest hope to flip a burger, I should absolutely hide the fact that I had a MA in History from the Paris University! it would have been counter productive. My potential employer would have had a negative opinion of me. Hence
I gave up the idea of that sabbatical.

Old 06-30-2015, 02:51 PM

8,439 posts, read 7,746,194 times
Engineering degrees from China are more or less recognized in the US. I know a professor at Columbia University and he had all degrees from China, not any from the US.
Google, Microsoft etc. (US offices, of course) also hire some people with Chinese degrees only.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World