Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2010, 12:54 PM

30,896 posts, read 36,965,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodymiami View Post
not true, i recently went to visit family in Germany, and was shocked at the food prices, you can get food so much cheaper over there than in Miami, dont even talk about resturants, bigger meals for less, and better quality.
I was in Germany last May and didn't find this to be true at all. The prices seemed about the same as what I pay in California....and then I had to remember "Oh, that's in Euros, not dollars!" When I was there the dollar was rallying against the Euro, so the overall price level was about 20% higher. The trains were excellent, but they weren't cheap, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2010, 01:55 PM

1,222 posts, read 2,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I was in Germany last May and didn't find this to be true at all. The prices seemed about the same as what I pay in California....and then I had to remember "Oh, that's in Euros, not dollars!"
I lived in Wisconsin and am in Germany right now. I found the prices in WI to be very high, even with those "discount keychain cards" and things. Even assuming a 1:1 conversion rate between € and $ food is still quite expensive. Some things are cheaper, beef for example. But the overall cost for groceries was/is definitely higher in the US.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:57 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
Scandinavian countries.

Some people commit suicide because they get tired of perfection lol... Everything there is just too perfect.

Highest mínimum wages
low cost of living (it is low when you live and work there)
homogenous pretty people
free terciary education
excellent mass transit system
internet is a Right!

Where I live, universal healthcare isnt a right, imagine, scandinavians are so ahead of everybody else that they have universal Internet, and they have the fastest connections.

Old 10-02-2010, 05:13 PM

217 posts, read 417,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by califantastic View Post
Businesses do not pay employees more than they need to. In places where the cost of living is low, salaries are low. In places where the cost of living is high, salaries are high.
Yes, this is true.

The next best thing for the OP is to find a job where he or she can work from home. I know a few people in the IT field who started for a company and then had to move and the company allowed them to work from home, even though they moved across the country. This is a good setup b/c you can have the salary of a high COL city and live in a low COL city.

Another option is to start a home-based/online business, where you location isn't a priority and move wherever you like.

Old 10-02-2010, 06:20 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edu983 View Post
they have universal Internet
what country has laws making Internet a right and universal?

Old 10-02-2010, 07:10 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,811,078 times
USA has the Obamacare now! Best system ever!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:20 PM

305 posts, read 655,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob702 View Post
I lived in Wisconsin and am in Germany right now. I found the prices in WI to be very high, even with those "discount keychain cards" and things. Even assuming a 1:1 conversion rate between € and $ food is still quite expensive. Some things are cheaper, beef for example. But the overall cost for groceries was/is definitely higher in the US.
You are correct. Germany has some of the lowest grocery prices in Europe. Some things one might be used to from the U.S. are more expensive though because they're not regularly eaten. Things like Avocados or microwave food. But you get a kg of leeks for 80 cents during season. It's just a cultural difference warping the perception.

Old 10-03-2010, 01:50 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
USA has the Obamacare now! Best system ever!
There t'ain't nothin' can stop the Obama when he can spend other people's money.

Old 10-03-2010, 02:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
There t'ain't nothin' can stop the Obama when he can spend other people's money.
Why is Obama or American healthcare on the World Forum?

If we're going to tie the World Forum to US government massive spending sprees...the War in Iraq is the big elephant in the room...I've always wondered why Tea Partiers hate poor Americans having health insurance, yet are usually gung-ho supportive about massive, massive, massive American spending done in foreign countries.

Old 10-03-2010, 12:32 PM

430 posts, read 1,059,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Why is Obama or American healthcare on the World Forum?

If we're going to tie the World Forum to US government massive spending sprees...the War in Iraq is the big elephant in the room...I've always wondered why Tea Partiers hate poor Americans having health insurance, yet are usually gung-ho supportive about massive, massive, massive American spending done in foreign countries.
I read this some where else on the message board a few months back. Someone said that things like universal health care is harder for bigger population countries to fully accept. This is because people tend to segregate themselves off by income. People will live in neighborhoods with others of similar incomes. They may never be around or even know people in poverty of lower incomes. Since they don't see their money being used for the good of a friend or relative, then assumptions start being made. People like some of the crazier tea party people, just assume their tax money is being spent on the people that are actually lazy and cheating the system. They don't ever see the people truly suffering being helped.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World