Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
 
Location: UNDECIDED
121 posts, read 520,109 times
Reputation: 51

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Africa, Southeast Asia, India, Northeast Brazil....

Although, you'll quickly be taken advantage left and right...and deservedly so. But, you'll at least have your illusion of being some pompous annoying colonial master jerkoff...at least until they siphon your money away from you.
deservedly so? Why because I earn my money and can spend it how I want? Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. The pompous etc etc is funny though, giggling inside
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Macao
16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times
Reputation: 10258
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyhappenstance View Post
Well maybe you can elaborate because this happens in the US. People take advantage of rich folks with cost of goods and services as well. I guess I need to know to what extent does the advantage taking go in another country as oppose to the one I am in. Maybe I could hire some locals to be my spies to give me the low down on the real cost. Just a thought.
Well, in the States, they do A LITTLE. But not at every corner.

In the other countries...just about everything....especially taxis...anything with services. People will come along and ask you where you are going, and suddenly you are tipping them. They'll grab your bags suddenly...and you'll be tipping them. If you don't tip them, they'll make a scene.

Some countries...Vietnam is notorious for even stores doing that. You'll be in the convenience store...getting your cola. You'll see a person buying a cola in front of you. You'll see how much it costs...then when you stand up there...suddenly it's 3-4 times more? Why? You'll argue...people will argue with you...you'll pay the higher price...and look like an idiot...a few people will laugh at you...then while you're fuming...you'll walk out of their with your overpriced coke...be met by a bunch of cyclo drivers and taxi drivers pulling over left and right at your sight. You'll tell them to go away....they'll tell you 'special price' which means high price. Eventually you'll take one...argue with them to turn on the meter...if they do turn it on, you'll be taking a very scenic overpriced route...expect for them to fill up for gas wasting time on your money....and get lost a small number of times. If you let them NOT use the meter, you'll be charged a significantly higher price than a local...but at least you'll get their quicker.

If you are planning to live there...you'll be taken advantage of in every possible way you can imagine...as so much more things you'll need to do - get cable, get a car, get a house, you name it.

It'll go on and on like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Tricity, PL
61,745 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Reputation: 131746
I see that often in places where they do not post prices just a sign: "ask for price".
What the heck??? If they want to sell something they better tell me the price for it, and it will be up to me to decide if I want it.
Most popular places? Car dealers. They will come out and ask: "how much you want to pay for it?"
I beg your pardon??
They will "adjust" the price depending on how much you need it, want/like it, what is your budget etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 03:50 PM
 
Location: England.
1,287 posts, read 3,324,377 times
Reputation: 1293
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Amin has been gone since 1979. Uganda is nothing like it was then. I lived there for 2 years.
Funnily enough, he is not quite so forgiving. His family lived there for generations, were absolutely committed to the country, and were treated like scum of the earth. Every Ugandan Asian I ever spoken to made a real success of themselves after being thrown out, and not one would ever consider going back to that dump. Uganda's loss was Britian's gain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 04:05 PM
 
Location: UNDECIDED
121 posts, read 520,109 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, in the States, they do A LITTLE. But not at every corner.

In the other countries...just about everything....especially taxis...anything with services. People will come along and ask you where you are going, and suddenly you are tipping them. They'll grab your bags suddenly...and you'll be tipping them. If you don't tip them, they'll make a scene.

Some countries...Vietnam is notorious for even stores doing that. You'll be in the convenience store...getting your cola. You'll see a person buying a cola in front of you. You'll see how much it costs...then when you stand up there...suddenly it's 3-4 times more? Why? You'll argue...people will argue with you...you'll pay the higher price...and look like an idiot...a few people will laugh at you...then while you're fuming...you'll walk out of their with your overpriced coke...be met by a bunch of cyclo drivers and taxi drivers pulling over left and right at your sight. You'll tell them to go away....they'll tell you 'special price' which means high price. Eventually you'll take one...argue with them to turn on the meter...if they do turn it on, you'll be taking a very scenic overpriced route...expect for them to fill up for gas wasting time on your money....and get lost a small number of times. If you let them NOT use the meter, you'll be charged a significantly higher price than a local...but at least you'll get their quicker.

If you are planning to live there...you'll be taken advantage of in every possible way you can imagine...as so much more things you'll need to do - get cable, get a car, get a house, you name it.

It'll go on and on like that.
Very detailed thanks for the response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-08-2010, 04:11 PM
 
2,015 posts, read 3,382,078 times
Reputation: 1827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hengist View Post
Funnily enough, he is not quite so forgiving. His family lived there for generations, were absolutely committed to the country, and were treated like scum of the earth. Every Ugandan Asian I ever spoken to made a real success of themselves after being thrown out, and not one would ever consider going back to that dump. Uganda's loss was Britian's gain.
Not true. Uganda is full of Asian's. I did a lot of my shopping at the Asian-owned shops because they stocked imported foods.

Dump? Have you even been to Uganda? And can you even see past the shabby buildings to what the Ugandan people and their culture are like? I lived there for 2 years and have been home for 8 months. I miss it, a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 AM
 
360 posts, read 1,088,119 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlyhappenstance View Post
deservedly so? Why because I earn my money and can spend it how I want? Nobody is forcing anyone to do anything. The pompous etc etc is funny though, giggling inside
You are either yanking our chain or totally deluded. Most expats don't go overseas to "live like a king." Most go, and I'm sure there are other reasons, but most simply want to live decently on limited income. If I had alot of money I would stay in the States. Just more familiar, more convenient, family is here. I'll be heading somewhere else in retirement because my small pension won't support me here. But in many countries it'll get me a decent home, decent food, internet, satellite tv, affordable healthcare. I could care less about partying, really seems silly that that is a priority of some. More power to you, but if living the high life is a priority while billions struggle just to eat daily you might want to take a long look at yourself. And not in a narcissistic way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2010, 11:40 AM
 
Location: UNDECIDED
121 posts, read 520,109 times
Reputation: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by vantexan View Post
You are either yanking our chain or totally deluded. Most expats don't go overseas to "live like a king." Most go, and I'm sure there are other reasons, but most simply want to live decently on limited income. If I had alot of money I would stay in the States. Just more familiar, more convenient, family is here. I'll be heading somewhere else in retirement because my small pension won't support me here. But in many countries it'll get me a decent home, decent food, internet, satellite tv, affordable healthcare. I could care less about partying, really seems silly that that is a priority of some. More power to you, but if living the high life is a priority while billions struggle just to eat daily you might want to take a long look at yourself. And not in a narcissistic way.
to each it's own. thats the great thing about earning your own money you can spend it how you want. Maybe most expats go overseas for other reasons and some go for the exact reasons I am looking into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > World

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top