Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2010, 01:32 AM

43 posts, read 109,883 times

Advertisements

I usually use a semi colon between two sentences that are related to each other, is this the correct usage? When is the proper time to use a comma? I just use one whenever I feel there should be a pause.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2010, 09:13 AM

165 posts, read 396,062 times
If you have not yet had the true pleasure of reading "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves" by Lynne Truss, then please get a copy. She makes a book about punctuation not only clear and helpful, but so funny you can hardly put it down. Honest.

Shes' a Brit, but she takes not of American peculiarities of punctuation when needed. Priceless.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:33 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,654,294 times
There are basically two uses for the semicolon:

1. In joining two clauses, each of which could stand independently as a sentence, into a single sentence;

2. In separating items in a series, some of which contain commas.

Old 06-30-2010, 10:53 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLerJoh View Post
I usually use a semi colon between two sentences that are related to each other, is this the correct usage? When is the proper time to use a comma? I just use one whenever I feel there should be a pause.
A common is for a short pause, or between items in a list. The comma separates phrases; the semicolon separates complete sentences.

However, some people abuse the semicolon--and their sentences become run on sentences.

Old 07-03-2010, 08:08 PM

1,517 posts, read 2,319,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
There are basically two uses for the semicolon:

1. In joining two clauses, each of which could stand independently as a sentence, into a single sentence;

2. In separating items in a series, some of which contain commas.

Yes, in joining two independent clauses into one sentences the semicolon is used in place of a comma and a conjunction.

Also, when you have used commas already in a sentence, you use a semicolon to indicate a major pause..

For example: My mother has lived in Atlanta, GA; Birmingham, AL; and Columbus, MS. The semicolon makes the divisions clear.

Commas are not used just whenever you want to. There are many rules for commas, but some of the most common are:

1. Between items in a series.
2. After introductory words or phrases
3. Before a conjunction joining two independent clauses into one sentence
4. To set off an appositive
5. In letters and dates

Old 07-06-2010, 10:40 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
While it is true that there are situations in which a comma is mandatory, there are also places where it is optional, in which the writer's discretion applies. The preceding sentence (and this one) could have been written quite correctly with no commas at all, but in my opinion, it makes it more easily readable to have the commas in there.

Smel, I'm not sure, but I think the comma is considered inappropriate in the name of a city when you use the standard two-cap postal abbreviation. The correct forms would be:
Columbus MS
Columbus, Miss.
Columbus, Mississippi

Last edited by jtur88; 07-06-2010 at 10:54 AM..

Old 07-10-2010, 09:09 PM

155 posts, read 222,963 times
You do use a comma after a city and before the abbreviation of a state. You do not use a comma after the state abbreviation and before the zip code. You skip two spaces instead.

Examples

Boston, MA
Boston, MA 36442

Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 AM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanLerJoh View Post
Use a semi colon when you are listing phrases or even sentences where in the readers mind the word "and" could be used in place of the semi-colon but too many "ands" would look silly. However use "and" to link the last two phrases. Such as:

There are many things I like about Charleston: the gardens are lovely; the restaurants are wonderful; the weather especially in the spring is gorgeous and the architecture is breath-taking.

Use a comma to separate words such as:

My favorite colors for decorating are neutral colors like beige, gray, coffee and sand tones.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfalling View Post
You do use a comma after a city and before the abbreviation of a state. You do not use a comma after the state abbreviation and before the zip code. You skip two spaces instead.

Examples

Boston, MA
Boston, MA 36442
"The U.S. postal service, incidentally, does not insert a comma between the city and the abbreviated state name: Hartford CT, Portland OR — at least not in the addresses on envelopes."
Abbreviations
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing