Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times

Advertisements

We are having a family debate as to the meaning of the term "handwriting".

I maintain that the word handwriting is a synonym of cursive and that both are different from "printing" by hand.

My kids and wife maintain that "handwriting" is anything written by hand, whether cursive or not.

With whom would you agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2010, 12:12 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,585,459 times
I think handwriting or longhand can mean cursive - but also can mean by hand as opposed to by typewriter or computer...or spelled out entirely instead of by using shorthand. Sometimes it's clear by the context if a person means cursive/script instead of printed - sometimes not. So, you're both right! Usually I'd go with your wife's definition - as in "what does your hand writing say about you?" - those decipher script or print or a combo (like what I do).

Old 11-21-2010, 12:37 PM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Cursive and printing. In certain professions, cursive was frowned on. Architects and draftsmen, for example, were taught very precise rules for lettering, and going back to cursive for anything other than a signature was somewhat uncommon, because the rules of the lettering were so ingrained and going back and forth could contaminate a fine hand. On the other hand, my mother constantly taught grade school kids cursive, so she almost never printed anything but had flowing Palmer script.

Cursive uses different muscles than printing, which supposedly made writing long drafts easier. More important is that both develop different fine motor skills, which can stimulate development of different parts of the brain.

I think the word you might be searching for is "longhand." Longhand is considered cursive. A person can write a document in their own hand (handwriting) and have it be either script or printing. Something written longhand is cursive.

Old 11-21-2010, 01:58 PM

410 posts, read 1,494,657 times
In school kids have "Handwriting" in class. Mostly when they are first starting to learn how to write in Kindergarten. They come home with the homework in "Handwriting" the letter "A" and "E" twelve dozen times. That's printing. When children get older the come home with cursive homework.

It is also used for "Handwriting Analysis" to see how a person writes there name whether it be in cursive or printing. Sometimes parents also give a "Handwritten note to the teacher".

I think it's anything written not just cursive.

Old 11-21-2010, 03:36 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,023 times
I've always heard handwriting treated as a synonym for cursive growing up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Be Happy 2 View Post
In school kids have "Handwriting" in class. Mostly when they are first starting to learn how to write in Kindergarten. They come home with the homework in "Handwriting" the letter "A" and "E" twelve dozen times. That's printing. When children get older the come home with cursive homework.

It is also used for "Handwriting Analysis" to see how a person writes there name whether it be in cursive or printing. Sometimes parents also give a "Handwritten note to the teacher".

I think it's anything written not just cursive.
Is it still common to teach kids both printing and cursive separately? An article I read a while ago that claimed teaching how to write in cursive was gradually going out of fashion.

I remember learning how to write in cursive some time in around Grade 1 or 2 during the early 90s.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:05 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I guess 'handwriting' is anything written by hand, as opposed to 'machinewriting', which is done for no other reason than to put something in simple readable form. That would also exclude things like calligraphy of sign painting.

Old 11-22-2010, 09:23 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,647,206 times
Well, handwritten is hand + written, or written by hand. So it doesn't not necessary mean to write in cursive per se.

One can also argue that to type a college essay, you can use a typewriter rather than a computer

Old 11-22-2010, 09:29 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Architects and draftsmen, for example, were taught very precise rules for lettering, and going back to cursive for anything other than a signature was somewhat uncommon, because the rules of the lettering were so ingrained and going back and forth could contaminate a fine hand.
It was mainly them in the time before computers ( all plans were done by hand). Its called Block Lettering. But now it has carried over into IT & Engineering. My writing is by this method due to the fact that globally english is taught that way. Cursive is unreadable in numerous countries. I don't know how many more years anything written by hand will exist, but it's death is near.

But back to the question at hand. Handwriting was cursive. Now its a mixture of everything including texting.

Old 11-23-2010, 07:14 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,048,465 times
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to settle for us both being "right".

Old 11-23-2010, 10:08 AM

23,585 posts, read 70,350,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have to settle for us both being "right".
Sounds like you've been married a while...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing