Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 05:58 PM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

What the hell is a person's wheelhouse, and why is everyone on TV now saying it in every other sentance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
There's nothing like another new catch phrase infesting the language, is there? (Remember when President Ford popularized "rebate?" There wasn't anywhere to hide from that word!)

Old 05-05-2012, 08:00 AM

88,580 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
What the hell is a person's wheelhouse, and why is everyone on TV now saying it in every other sentance?
I have not heard this (but I don't put the TV on very much). What does it mean?

Old 05-05-2012, 01:48 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
The original definition refers to the location of the steering wheel on a boat. It may also refer to an area of a boat which includes the bridge, lookout, and pilothouse. These three aspects of a ship contain individuals who have an amassed body of knowledge that, combined, make it possible for the ship to be navigated.

The word "wheelhouse" has been co-opted as a slang term used in baseball to refer to a batter's preferred location for a pitch to be so s/he can make great contact between bat and ball, usually resulting in a home run.

More recently the definition has been broadened to refer to any area of expertise that a person may have significant knowledge or experience with, thus returning to the original part of the definition noted above regarding knowledge.

I hope this helps.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:20 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
Noun: A part of a boat or ship serving as a shelter for the person at the wheel. It might be an old Navy term.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
n/m

Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
The original definition refers to the location of the steering wheel on a boat. It may also refer to an area of a boat which includes the bridge, lookout, and pilothouse. These three aspects of a ship contain individuals who have an amassed body of knowledge that, combined, make it possible for the ship to be navigated.

The word "wheelhouse" has been co-opted as a slang term used in baseball to refer to a batter's preferred location for a pitch to be so s/he can make great contact between bat and ball, usually resulting in a home run.

More recently the definition has been broadened to refer to any area of expertise that a person may have significant knowledge or experience with, thus returning to the original part of the definition noted above regarding knowledge.

I hope this helps.
Well...could you give an example of how it's used in a sentence? I don't really get it, and I haven't heard this.

Old 05-05-2012, 11:24 PM

1,184 posts, read 4,044,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Well...could you give an example of how it's used in a sentence? I don't really get it, and I haven't heard this.
Sure.

During a recap of a previous pitch sequence by the Mets, Keith Hernandez may say: "It baffles me why Johan Santana would put a ball right in the wheelhouse for Albert Pujols to hit out of the park. I mean really? You are going to pitch him across the plate instead of outside?"

Second Example:

A friend of mine and I are talking about a recent hire. I may say, " After speaking with Julie and reviewing her resume, it's obvious that she will be a great fit for house counsel. I saw in her bio she mentioned several redrafting amicus curie briefs in support of company agenda and wone. But her wheelhouse is in mergers & acquisitions. Did you see the $1 billion buyout she did of Aarco?"

Hope this helps.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:29 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
you must watch the apprentice, LOL.

I'm pretty sure a person's wheelhouse is their area of expertise.

Old 05-06-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUNYYfan View Post
Sure.

During a recap of a previous pitch sequence by the Mets, Keith Hernandez may say: "It baffles me why Johan Santana would put a ball right in the wheelhouse for Albert Pujols to hit out of the park. I mean really? You are going to pitch him across the plate instead of outside?"

Second Example:

A friend of mine and I are talking about a recent hire. I may say, " After speaking with Julie and reviewing her resume, it's obvious that she will be a great fit for house counsel. I saw in her bio she mentioned several redrafting amicus curie briefs in support of company agenda and wone. But her wheelhouse is in mergers & acquisitions. Did you see the $1 billion buyout she did of Aarco?"

Hope this helps.
Yes, thanks. It sounds silly because I am not familiar with the term, but I'm sure I'll be hearing it any day now in a meeting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing