U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 AM

335 posts, read 587,479 times

Advertisements

My friends on FB. tell me over and over I should blog and mentioned I can make money doing so . I know nothing about blogging with the exception of reading a few.

Does anyone here blog and get paid or perks to do so ? Your advise is appreciated.

I 'm also in need of brushing up my writing skills vocab, grammar. English is my third language. If I am going to blog, I want my work to be well read and professional .

May you have a Lucky 2013 and thank you in advance for you help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,114,566 times
Happy 2013 too!

Why don't you blog in your mother tongue/ first language for a start, just to get used to what blogging is, and maybe find what you want to write about?
And, at the same time, work on your English so that you get comfortable enough blogging in this language later on?

(PS: this is some advice, not advise . )

Last edited by Sudcaro; 01-02-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 01-02-2013, 08:40 PM

27,335 posts, read 14,203,642 times
Tens of millions of people blog. Millions of them are trying to make money at it. I doubt very much if one-half of one per cent are making enough to buy a McDonald's burger once a week.

Sudcaro's advice is sound - start in your own language.

But just about any job in the world will pay more than blogging.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 PM

174 posts, read 224,343 times
I am a blogger. Bloggers can make good money if you have a decent amount of traffic coming to your blog. You can make money through various affiliate programs and also by selling ad space. Amazon affiliates make good money as well. How much you make depends on your niche and your competition.

Old 01-05-2013, 11:05 AM

11,044 posts, read 10,861,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
But just about any job in the world will pay more than blogging.
The same applies to many types of writers and, in general, most of the arts. For a very few, it doesn't matter how much more they could make as a corporate CEO, collecting garbage, or whatever else. They simply must follow their passion and arrange the rest of their lives around whatever compensation they do earn.

As for the OP: you don't know if it is a passion. You don't know if you can earn money at it. That's up to you, your dedication, your skill, your niche, and your readers. Either what you write appeals to others or it doesn't. Skill is necessary, but it is also subservient to mass appeal if you are interested in any commercial form of writing. Plenty of writers make lots of money with little writing skill. Plenty of writers make next to nothing with profoundly superior writing skill.

Feel it out. Try it. Find a passion in yourself that interests others enough for them to partake in your passion on a scale that can yield sufficient motivational and/or monetary reward for you and your efforts.

Of course, what I state in this post applies to writers in general. A blogger is simply a writer, just as a novelist, poet, or screen writer, who uses a different medium--similar to the differences between a watercolorist, oil painter, digital artist, quick-sketcher. Just be a good writer first and apply that skill to your chosen medium.

And if you want to blog, ultimately, in English, I would say blog in English now. That's how you develop skill in English--by using it. I saw nothing in you post that would prompt me to say you lack the English skills to blog in English--especially considering that you are not a native speaker.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:43 PM

59,585 posts, read 57,119,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post
My friends on FB. tell me over and over I should blog and mentioned I can make money doing so . I know nothing about blogging with the exception of reading a few.

Does anyone here blog and get paid or perks to do so ? Your advise is appreciated.

I 'm also in need of brushing up my writing skills vocab, grammar. English is my third language. If I am going to blog, I want my work to be well read and professional .

May you have a Lucky 2013 and thank you in advance for you help.
You can start with not using "advise" when you mean "advice". Very common error, even amongst first-language English writers.

I hope you have a lucky 2013 also. Please do work on your English skills, that is always a good start. I don't know anyone who actually does blog for a living, but if it were that easy, we would all be doing it. However, I think you should try if this is something you really want to do.

Old 01-08-2013, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmommy22 View Post
I am a blogger. Bloggers can make good money if you have a decent amount of traffic coming to your blog. You can make money through various affiliate programs and also by selling ad space. Amazon affiliates make good money as well. How much you make depends on your niche and your competition.
So what do i need to do contact Amazon?

Old 01-08-2013, 04:01 AM

I have no interest in making this a full time job. I want to do this on the side like a hobby, unless, I am asked to be a guest blogger etc.

Blogging is more of a American thing - My readers, I would say 85 Percent read English or use Google Translation.

I have a fb and a fan page with over 110k fan page followers. My 3 fb profile pages are maxed out. I am not adding a new FB Profile i am directing all to my Fan Page. I deff. have the packed buses and trains of people who flock to read what I post.

Thank you, for the advice and advise correction. I will Google and figure out how they are properly used.

Old 01-08-2013, 05:09 AM

13,606 posts, read 10,641,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2O13 View Post

Thank you, for the advice and advise correction. I will Google and figure out how they are properly used.
It's easy. Advice is a noun, something that you can receive or give. Advise is a verb, an action word.

Example below:

"I advise you not to give advice".

Best of luck to you on your blogging adventure. I wish I spoke three languages. I always admire people who are multilingual.

Old 01-08-2013, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
It's easy. Advice is a noun, something that you can receive or give. Advise is a verb, an action word.

Example below:

"I advise you not to give advice".

Best of luck to you on your blogging adventure. I wish I spoke three languages. I always admire people who are multilingual.
Thank you, for your help, I welcome it from all.

Do any of you have book suggestions for me to improve my grammar, writing etc? This would be a plus.

I am very open to all who correct me and appreciate your time and help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or