Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 AM

588 posts, read 956,764 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! I've found that the most difficult part of preparing my first novel for publishing is EDITING!! So far I've had three editors, and they've all given me conflicting advice! Example: One said don't write the characters' names often; 'he' or 'she' is sufficient. I agree. However, the other 2 said I should bc it's hard to know who's saying what with he/she, his/hers.
There are many other examples. How do I know who's advice to take?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2013, 11:08 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
What were the editors' credentials?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:35 PM

Masters in either English or writing, although, now that I think about it, one had a BA in Journalism. Hmmm. Two worked for editing companies/agencies.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:15 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mia25 View Post
How do I know who's advice to take?
"Who's"? Oh, you mean "whose."

Lots of people can do THAT kind of editing. But fiction is very subjective, so it is, I think, MUCH harder to edit than nonfiction. (I have a master's in journalism from Berkeley but I could never edit fiction, as much as I love to read it!)

Who is the target audience for your novel? Can you have a couple of friends or family members read it, if they like the kind of book you're writing? At least they could let you know if it keeps their interest.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM

LOL!! See how desperately I need a GOOD editor???
Friends and family loved it and didn't catch any mistakes. But you're right; fiction is very subjective. I think the second editor wasn't interested in the subject matter. My novel is contemporary fiction, and it's dripping with romance. Some of my mistakes he overlooked were probably because he dozed off while reading it. HA!

Old 02-27-2013, 05:55 PM

10,049 posts, read 18,054,358 times
lol, you have a great attitude at least!

I wish I could write fiction, but apparently I have no imagination! I find nonfiction SO much easier. I wish I had more advice. Best of luck to you!

Old 02-27-2013, 08:57 PM

25,683 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
LOL!! See how desperately I need a GOOD editor???
Friends and family loved it and didn't catch any mistakes. But you're right; fiction is very subjective. I think the second editor wasn't interested in the subject matter. My novel is contemporary fiction, and it's dripping with romance. Some of my mistakes he overlooked were probably because he dozed off while reading it. HA!
If you do find an editor, make sure he/she is experienced (and is interested in) fiction--even the specific kind you write. It does make a big difference. Also, fiction writers typically bend grammar rules purposely to aid in story flow, readability, and character personality. Nothing worse than getting someone as an editor who is primarily into grant writing, technical manuals, or something like that (who is not used to playing with the rules and form). That's a story killer for sure.

And there are several types of editing. You're probably better off with someone on the basic proofreading side of things than you are with the wrong kind of line editor.

Old 02-28-2013, 05:59 AM

Thanks Chris! I appreciate the advice. Yep, I'm learning so much about editing...had NO idea so many types of editing existed. And honestly, this experience has put me in my place. I made such high grades in my English college courses. Thought I was pretty smart when it came to proofreading/editing...

Old 02-28-2013, 06:56 AM

289 posts, read 567,428 times
When my daughter was in high school, I was asked by the head of the English Department to edit a book of short stories written by a social worker in the North End of Boston.They were a recounting of her interaction with many of her clients, and I found the language stilted and in some cases almost unreadable.

Having been asked to "edit," I went ahead and did what to me, was "editing," and gave them back a book that was far more polished and readable..

They didn't like it.

The small group of people who had dedicated themselves to keeping her memory alive told the head of the Department that in every case they liked my work better than the original, but all they wanted, really, was proofreading. :-(

Many years later a friend who has published five books with reputable publishers asked if I would give her books a final edit. I was smart enough to ask if that mean I could suggest a few reworkings in the text (badly needed) "No," she said, "that is what I have a professional editor for." Just another proofreading. Booorring.

One big thing I did learn in the first instance was to be very care using "find and replace." One of the characters in many of the stories was named "Mrs. Iacapuuci." Rather than typing that a zillion times (yes, I had to type it, too) I just used an "x" every time, meaning to go back and replace every "x" with Iacapuuci."

There are more words with "x" in them than I realized.

Old 02-28-2013, 07:56 AM

25,683 posts, read 18,770,132 times
Quote:
Thanks Chris! I appreciate the advice. Yep, I'm learning so much about editing...had NO idea so many types of editing existed. And honestly, this experience has put me in my place. I made such high grades in my English college courses. Thought I was pretty smart when it came to proofreading/editing...
Well, don't be too hard on yourself. Self-editing is a so much harder than editing someone else's work. I generally self-edit my stuff and it is very challenging. You miss things (if you're not very careful) that you normally would never overlook. One thing about self-editing, though, is that it forces you to pick your story to pieces, right down to the nut and bolt mechanical aspects. As I've done that over the course of quite a few books, it does get easier because you know exactly the kinds of bloopers that you are likely to make. It's still very time-consuming, though. When I self-edit, I can just plan on carefully (and with a fine-toothed comb) reading through my book at least ten extra times. But, generally, most folks will find that a fresh set of eyes (and a fresh brain) on an edit will save a lot of time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing