U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 05:05 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,230,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I like sing songy rhyme like Dr Seuss. It is the kind of poetry I like to read and write since it is fun and usually clever. I have written several what I call childrens stories in rhyme and it was a fun exercise. Now to find a market for them.
Sorta like this?

Royal Summons

The bees' knees were getting sore
from all that kneeling on the floor
but royalty had come to call
and kneeling down were one and all
Queen Bee's mighty roaring screams
"make that honey, live your dreams
choose a colored nectar bell
gather pollen, do it well
Bring the pollen back to nest
and I will choose the very best
Fighters, lovers, honey bees
rise up now off of your knees
Fly away, find distance streams
to gather nectar - live your dreams"
And so each bee rose to his feet
then took to wing to find the treat
in flower gardens, far and near
to live their dream without a fear

8-23-01
copyright by Me

Someday it might get illustrated and published as a children's book.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 09:09 PM

586 posts, read 854,717 times
Dr. Seuss is a good one. He may not be what some (in the mainstream at least) might call a poet but still I'd say his work is very poetic.

I don't know why, it might be because he seemed to be doing something not many people did in his day or it might be because people might not even think of his work as poetry given his reputation as a seer but I think I might consider Nostradamus as a poet. Technically the well know body of work (his Centuries) are poems since they are in verse. I enjoy much of the imagery involved in it and that he even experimented with his own secret codes. When people talk about him they never seem to say anything about his work as a literary contribution. They just focus on it as a group of predictions.

I think I'd also call much of the so called "writings" of Mother Shipton as well. It's well established that the poems are a hoax and that they were being written about after the fact but I don't think that should count against it's contribution to culture and literature albeit a small one.

Tulani, I've written my own rhyming couplets that sound like they could go into a children's book once too. I'm more for the poetic prose type of work since it feels ore natural to me but, still, I can break into rhymes at times.

Old 04-25-2013, 10:34 PM

1,877 posts, read 2,230,899 times
I guess I am more into writing poetry than learning about poets lives. I love reading poetry, but dropped a couple of college classes that wanted to teach the background of poets and their poetry.

I've been writing since I was about 8.
I think in words, and I think in rhymes... and, yes, it does drive me crazy most of the time.
I love Dr Seuss and read so many to my son that we had them all memorized at one point in time.

Old 02-03-2016, 10:24 AM

8,010 posts, read 5,657,994 times
The short ones are the easiest to come up with and the easiest to remember. I like to change the words like this.

The roses are dead
The violets are too
I'm not much of a gardener
how about you ?

Old 02-21-2016, 10:02 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,241,635 times
Confessional is my favorite genre; some of these poets fall under that umbrella, and some don't: T.S. Eliot, Wallace Stevens, Anne Sexton, Amy Lowell, Walt Whitman, Theodore Roethke, some of George Starbuck, Algernon Charles Swinburne, John Donne, Stephen Spender, Dylan Thomas, Kenneth Rexroth, John Houseman, Delmore Schwartz, Carolyn Kizer, Margaret Atwood, Merrit Malloy, W.B. Yeats, Susan Sanchez, Rainer Maria Rikle, Pablo Neruda, and some of Alfred, Lord Tennyson.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing