U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 04:47 AM

586 posts, read 852,854 times

Advertisements

What kinds of poetry do you like and why do you like it?

My favorites are the quirky somewhat silly or trippy poetry. E.E Cummings is very weird even T. S. Eliot to an extent. I also like the poetry that invokes emotions. Not only the happy emotions but the sad emotions as well. A favorite of mine is T. S. Eliot's "The Lovesong of J. Alfred Proofrock".

I can really relate to the speaker of the poem. His feelings of isolation with the world and how undesirable he feels among other things.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 12:00 AM

1,877 posts, read 2,226,913 times
My own of course.

I like most forms of poetry. However, I really, really, really, really hate long poems that go on forever... think 100s of lines.
I've entered a few poetry contests online, and this one site picks super long poems as winners each and every time. I can't understand them, let alone try to read through 100s of lines of 'whatever'.

I think the purpose of a poem should be to convey a thought with as few words as possible.

Old 04-22-2013, 07:54 AM

5,706 posts, read 5,743,939 times
My favorite poet is Ogden Nash.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 AM

42,661 posts, read 77,698,159 times
The kind that has meter and rhyme. There doesn't seem to be any of that anymore. Poetry nowadays is just flowery prose with unjustified margins.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:29 AM

586 posts, read 852,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
My own of course.

I like most forms of poetry. However, I really, really, really, really hate long poems that go on forever... think 100s of lines.
I've entered a few poetry contests online, and this one site picks super long poems as winners each and every time. I can't understand them, let alone try to read through 100s of lines of 'whatever'.

I think the purpose of a poem should be to convey a thought with as few words as possible.
Do you know the name of this site? I have a few long poems I'd like to publish. Including this huge epic historical narrative poem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The kind that has meter and rhyme. There doesn't seem to be any of that anymore. Poetry nowadays is just flowery prose with unjustified margins.
I tend to do mostly those types of poems. Although the weirdest thing happens in some of them when I naturally fall into rhymes. The rhyme and meter poems give me trouble when writing them. I do like reading them though.

P47P47, I don't think I've heard of Ogden Nash. I'm going to have to look him up.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:18 AM

1,966 posts, read 3,060,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sometimes I feel the same way. Even meter without rhyme woould be better than no meter, no rhyme. I love all different kinds of poetry, from Chaucer to Shakespeare to Spenser to Milton, Donne, Keats, Browning, Eliot, Auden, Yeats. Gerard Manley Hopkins is probably my favourite poet.

I do like poetry that is something more than "flowery prose", as you put it. I believe the Modernist movement may have torn up a little too much of the rule book, making just about anything poetry. "In the Sation of the Metro" sort of started that tradition. Don't get me wrong, it's brilliant in its own way, but Pound's legacy has been less...umm helpful.

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM

1,393 posts, read 2,790,414 times
Sylvia Plath, Anne Sexton, W.S. Merwin, William Carlos Williams, Charles Bauldelaire.

Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM

19,162 posts, read 58,217,060 times
My wife has been toying with the idea of a small online poetry writers workshop group. (Closed group to protect publishing rights & privacy {as much as possible}) The reading and understanding of poets being mentioned in this thread is the type of background that could help make this a successful group. If there is any interest in such a group (once or twice a month online meetings?), please PM me and I will have her supply more details.

Angie Estes (Tryst) is an example of another poet she likes because of Estes daring use of language and form.

(Sorry for all the parentheticals )

Old 04-23-2013, 11:03 AM

5,706 posts, read 5,743,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonylu View Post
P47P47, I don't think I've heard of Ogden Nash. I'm going to have to look him up.

Please let us know what you think of his work.

Old 04-23-2013, 03:35 PM

1,966 posts, read 3,060,613 times
I forgot to mention the mighty Jorge Luis Borges as one of the finest poets of the twentieth century and a giant in the world of literature (his short stories are also some of the best ever written in any language).

Borges wrote in Spanish and I have a great collection of his poetry that has the Spanish on one page, and the English translation on the facing page so one who reads both Spanish and English can deepen their understanding and appreciation of his writing.

Is anyone else a Borges fan? 'Amanecer' is probably my favourite of his poems, but there are many I love.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing