Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2013, 05:38 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times

Advertisements

Trevanian - Incident at Twenty Mile is the best western I've ever read, hands down.

Persia Wooley's Guinevere trilogy - Child of the Northern, Queen of the Summer Stars, Guinevere, the Legend in Autumn. Carries me away to another place and time. Well told story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 01:49 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,349,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Well, there's always *my* books...but that would be advertising!

In fantasy, I love Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. But you've got to be on your toes because they make a lot of references to famous books/movies/themes while keeping the story and the characters interesting.

In mystery, I'm enthralled with the Peculiar Crimes Unit, a series by Christopher Fowler. Very well written.
Oh, Neil Gaiman...forgot about him. I've liked every book of his I've read...which is only two, but he does have an excellent writing style.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-16-2013 at 02:11 PM..

Old 09-16-2013, 01:53 PM

3,032 posts, read 4,733,446 times
Kurt Vonnegut - Man Without a Country

Old 09-17-2013, 07:01 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Well, there's always *my* books...but that would be advertising!

In fantasy, I love Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. But you've got to be on your toes because they make a lot of references to famous books/movies/themes while keeping the story and the characters interesting.

In mystery, I'm enthralled with the Peculiar Crimes Unit, a series by Christopher Fowler. Very well written.
That itself sounds intriguing.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:19 PM

4,449 posts, read 4,614,742 times
Evelyn Waugh..'Brideshead Revisited'...arguably at the top as one of the greatest prose writers in the 20th century...not so fashionable nowadays I think...but he was a smart guy who could write great prose and didn't suffer fools gladly.

Old 09-18-2013, 04:29 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,436,414 times
John Updike. I liked his Rabbit series. Haven't read them recently, though.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:35 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
I'm very partial to Dorothy L. Sayers' writing, particularly her Lord Peter Wimsey series.

Old 09-18-2013, 05:41 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,763,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
. . My all-time favorite book is another historical novel called The Heaven Tree, originally written as a trilogy but now published as one volume. It was written in the 1960s, but takes place in the 12th century. This book contains the best death scene I've ever read.. . .
Thank you for reminding me of this trilogy! It's time to read it again and I've already requested it from my library's online data base.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:21 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,115,669 times
I'm not sure if you would call him a novelist, but my favorite writer of all time is Mark Twain. He could take a mundane situation and turn it into -at the some time- a pronouncement on the human condition- and a comedy. Who else could get away with this?

Old 09-21-2013, 05:30 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
This is such a subjective question. It really depends entirely on the reader's taste. There are writers that are heralded as outstanding... and I find them dull. On the other hand, there are "penny dreadful" writers that I find appealing.

Also, it depends on what level you are judging the work. For instance, I found Hunger Games (the first one, I haven't read the others) to be a decent story that held my attention, but the author's usage/language seemed really "clunky" to me at times--sometimes to the point of distracting me from the story.

I tend to read slowly so that I can enjoy the wordplay and structure as much as the story. So... I generally end up reading older literature because the authors of earlier eras tend to craft their language as much as they craft their stories (besides the fact that the language, in general, was much more eloquent back then). I often end up really liking a novel not so much because of the plot or story line (although it certainly matters) but because of the way the language and usage is carried out. For example, Hannah Foster's The Coquette really grabs me because of Foster's language. It's beautiful. And a novel like Donald Barthelme's The Dead Father is completely nonsensical as far as story line and plot, but is a hoot because of the way he messes around with the English language to the point of absurdity. It's hilarious if contorted language strikes your funny bone.

But most modern authors... well, not so much. I do like most of Stephen King's stuff. I wish I could find an author that concentrates on the Victorian era or earlier and really crafts his/her language, along with having an interesting story. Haven't found any that stand out, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing