U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2014, 05:52 PM

4,830 posts, read 7,701,997 times

Advertisements

When you type a page on regular 8 1/2 by 11 paper using 12 pt Times New Roman font, how many pages does that translate to in a book? Is it the same amount? Or does 1 typed page equal 2 printed book pages?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 04:17 AM

14,545 posts, read 18,671,610 times
I'm also very curious about this. I hope someone has an answer.

A friend of mind wrote a very long novel which she wanted to do a private printing of. What she did was what many published books do, remove that extra space normally put at the end of a sentence. It cut out a lot of pages. I can still tell and it looks odd but this is common especially with paperbacks.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:01 PM

4,830 posts, read 7,701,997 times
So weird.... today on the train, I finished reading the book I was reading. I decided to count the words on the page... .it was something like 360 words on the page. Tonight when I got home, I went to the writing I'm doing (regular 8 1/2 by 11 page with 12 pt TNR font) and I did a page count on the computer. Some of my pages were 530, others were 570, etc. (depending on how much of the page I used).

So, if this is correct, then maybe it's 1.5 printed "book" pages for every 1 page you type?

I wish someone here who actually knows would fill us in!!!

Old 07-15-2014, 10:04 PM

28,102 posts, read 31,569,576 times
There is no answer to your question. It will depend on the size and style of the font chosen for the printed product.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:18 PM

14,545 posts, read 18,671,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
There is no answer to your question. It will depend on the size and style of the font chosen for the printed product.
This is true. Considering how many books have considerably smaller print than most people use on printouts, I would guess it is generally even double. I had one really long piece to print, and took one page and just compared fonts. One of them, just slightly slimmer than the norm most people use, saved almost half. Adjusting it slightly smaller cut that in half yet it was quite easy and distinct to read. If you hate spending money on printer cartriges, its worth taking the time to experiment.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:36 PM

10,576 posts, read 7,839,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amisi View Post
When you type a page on regular 8 1/2 by 11 paper using 12 pt Times New Roman font, how many pages does that translate to in a book? Is it the same amount? Or does 1 typed page equal 2 printed book pages?
It depends on spacing, margins, etc. - of both the typed page and the book in question. Surely you've noticed the wide disparity in books, no? Sometimes print is small, other times large. Some books are smaller, some larger. Sometimes spacing is wide, other times narrow.

Spend a few minutes doing some word counts for both the printed page in question and whatever you consider to be a 'typical' book. Then do a little math, and you'll have your answer.

PS - You can google the word-count for some notable books. For examples: The Sun Also Rises is 67.7k words; The Catcher in the Rye is 73.4k words; The Grapes of Wrath is 169.5k. Got a copy of one of these laying around? Check the number of pages. Subtract blank pages. Estimate how many blank pages you get from totaling the partially-blank pages (beginning and ends of chapters), then subtract those. Divide the word-count by your full-page number. Voila! You'll have a sample word/page count from that book. Don't have one of those books? Just take any well-known novel you have handy, and google. You'll find a word-count online.

Old 03-25-2015, 08:01 PM

82 posts, read 50,922 times
Maybe "wordstopages dot com" would be useful. Found it by accident after searching for "how to calculate the word count of a manuscript." So if the former doesn't help, maybe the latter will; or not.

Old 04-27-2015, 11:08 AM

162 posts, read 152,217 times
I was compelled to check this out.

--Charlie and the Chocolate Factory - 1st edition hardcover - 172 wpp
--Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - hardcover - 334 wpp
--Lolita - paperback - 354 wpp
--Infinite Jest - paperback - 448 wpp (It's a nasty wall of single-spaced text)

--MS Word with Lorem Ipsum - 4 paragraphs per page - Times New Roman 12pt - 1.25" left/right margins - 1" top/bottom margins - A comfortable 13 words per line - 333 wpp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing