Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2018, 11:36 AM

853 posts, read 650,768 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have barely an idea that all this words: Fired/Terminated/laid off/got let go/made redundant refers to the action of "dismissing an employee from a job" but why there are so many words to describe the same idea? What are the differences of each one?

PS. I am not a native english speaker, so please be patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2018, 02:32 PM

13,073 posts, read 9,598,666 times
"Fired" means you were dismissed from your job for cause (meaning you did something that caused your employer to let you go)

"Terminated" could be for any reason -- fired, or let go because of a reduction in force (usually budget-related, and also called RIF'd).

"Laid Off" means terminated because of reduction in force, usually budget-related.

"Got let go" is the same as terminated, perhaps a bit less formal English.

"Made redundant" -- not sure, unless it means you were dismissed from your job because someone else does the same thing.

Getting fired is much worse than merely getting laid off because of a reduction in force.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:06 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Made redundant is more of a British term, I believe. It is used when your job has been eliminated, and you are no longer needed.

Old 12-04-2018, 06:25 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,032,817 times
There's also "sacked", which is also more common in the UK, and "RIFed" (spellings vary) from "reduction in force".

Old 12-04-2018, 09:08 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,231,082 times
Wasn’t RIF used in government layoffs?

Old 12-05-2018, 04:12 AM

1,561 posts, read 1,166,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Wasn’t RIF used in government layoffs?
The use of RIF in government would make sense.. They tend to use the first letters of words as an attempt ;-) to simply their complex systems. Back when I worked part time in a federal work place, my status was "WAE" (While Already Employed or While Also Employed) which I understood to refer to the fact that I also had a job in the private sector.

Another way of saying I lost my job is "I was canned" or "They canned me."

I wonder how many ways there are to say someone was hired...

Last edited by LilyMae521; 12-05-2018 at 04:44 AM..

Old 12-05-2018, 06:04 PM

29,223 posts, read 22,430,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
"Fired" means you were dismissed from your job for cause (meaning you did something that caused your employer to let you go)

"Terminated" could be for any reason -- fired, or let go because of a reduction in force (usually budget-related, and also called RIF'd).

"Laid Off" means terminated because of reduction in force, usually budget-related.

"Got let go" is the same as terminated, perhaps a bit less formal English.

"Made redundant" -- not sure, unless it means you were dismissed from your job because someone else does the same thing.

Getting fired is much worse than merely getting laid off because of a reduction in force.
The implications of the different terms do have an effect on future employment.

'Laid Off' is also used frequently in seasonal employment such as commercial fishing, construction, and other areas. It often means an employee isn't really fired; he's just furloughed due to the inability to work until the season changes.

This can be important, because a person who is laid off can draw unemployment until the job becomes active again, while a person who was permanently discharged from the same job may not able to draw unemployment.

"Made redundant" is rather similar to being laid off. Either isn't due to a fault in the performance of the worker on the job, or the ability to do the job.

If a business is shrinking for any reason, and there is now un-needed duplication of labor, it's not the fault of the employee.

Since no one can control the seasons, and there are many businesses that grow and shrink continually, being laid-off can mean the employee may be one of the first to be called back when there's work to be done again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing