Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2017, 06:05 AM

5,155 posts, read 4,615,816 times

Advertisements

I've been debating whether or not I should continue to use Upwork.com. I work a full-time office job and a part-time library job but was looking for ways to bring in extra money. Last year I only used it to get paid from a website I was writing for. Upwork was much nicer than PayPal because sometimes I wouldn't get my money on PayPal. However, I no longer write for the website because there was a lot going on this year in terms of trying to immigrate to Canada and now I work overtime with both jobs.

Despite the overtime, I still look for an extra source of income. I have kept my availability opened on Upwork and so far I've noticed there are a lot of scams on that site. Four projects fell through because they never paid. OR I had one project where the guy in the Philippines wanted me to program a phone application as well (I declined - I am not a programmer, I am a writer) for $50. I'm working on this project now for a Middle Eastern company, but the article writing is so bizarre. He had me write an article about cleaning a hot tub for $5, then complained it wasn't unique enough for his website. Now he wants me to write a 3,000-word article on 10 best hot tubs.

I'm not sure if Upwork is worth it. I've thought about joining writing contests and pressing my luck. Has anyone else used Upwork and what was your experience with it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2018, 02:32 PM

775 posts, read 500,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessxwrites89 View Post
I've been debating whether or not I should continue to use Upwork.com. I work a full-time office job and a part-time library job but was looking for ways to bring in extra money. Last year I only used it to get paid from a website I was writing for. Upwork was much nicer than PayPal because sometimes I wouldn't get my money on PayPal. However, I no longer write for the website because there was a lot going on this year in terms of trying to immigrate to Canada and now I work overtime with both jobs.

Despite the overtime, I still look for an extra source of income. I have kept my availability opened on Upwork and so far I've noticed there are a lot of scams on that site. Four projects fell through because they never paid. OR I had one project where the guy in the Philippines wanted me to program a phone application as well (I declined - I am not a programmer, I am a writer) for $50. I'm working on this project now for a Middle Eastern company, but the article writing is so bizarre. He had me write an article about cleaning a hot tub for $5, then complained it wasn't unique enough for his website. Now he wants me to write a 3,000-word article on 10 best hot tubs.

I'm not sure if Upwork is worth it. I've thought about joining writing contests and pressing my luck. Has anyone else used Upwork and what was your experience with it?
I'm asking the same question. Has anyone worked with Upwork? What was your experience?

Old 11-06-2018, 02:34 AM

2 posts, read 826 times
Yes, upwork does have a lot of customers who do not treat their hired person right. usually before choosing a job check how many people has he hired, how much he has spent, and their reviews. It is also important to ask the client what he/she really wants, ask for reference websites or content, this will give you an idea on how he wants the job done.

Old 11-08-2018, 09:33 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,819,289 times
Have you tried FIVERR? I've used them numerous times for various writing and advertising and website projects with great results at a reasonable price. The providers I've worked with seem pleased with the service. (I've not used UPWORK)

Old 11-09-2018, 05:09 AM

804 posts, read 543,967 times
In reality you work is worth a lot more. When people read articles they respect the actual writer. Your job as a writer is to be seen and write articles for publications. You have people living in decent apartments in Manhattan overlooking the "High-rise" right now doing writing for a living. They take their work seriously. They make a living off writing. Then there are people working in bakeries for free who write as well.

The way it suppose to work is that. You get paid a specific amount and do a decent amount of work. The work you do whether it is a good or bad job has been done. That is how it is in reality. It is no different then a lock-smith charging $50 to $500 for the same work at all. The job is done.

Again the foreman might stop half way in the work to get pay or when they are about done. The watch-repair will request half now and half later.
In relations to art this is how it works.
Honest or not the client see your past work
The client agrees to hire you.
You give the client the amount and they pay you half at least.
You show them the work and how it is coming along
They give you the other half of the payment
You give them the final.
Whether it be a file or in dead pulp tree format
You part ways.

Old 11-10-2018, 07:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,663,659 times
I've never used Upwork, but I do have significant freelancing experience. I typically don't work with offshore clients for reasons you've mentioned, and if I do, they pay up front or take a walk.

I know someone who has great success with Upwork, but she has advanced knowledge of programming. From what I see on reddit, Upwork has a lot of scammers and other low lifes trying to get something for free from freelancers.

It can't hurt to keep your account open there while concentrating on better options, though.

Fiverr is exploitative junk. I'd be embarrassed to write for those rates as well as pay them to anyone. You'd be better off at Textbroker if you want to write for bottom-of-the-barrel payment.

Old 11-14-2018, 06:14 AM

7,195 posts, read 5,719,680 times
I've been freelancing successfully for the past decade. I have used Upwork in the past, but there are a lot of scammers and even malicious people who will install a keylogger on your computer if you open one of their files. (This happened to me several years ago... and I'm fairly tech-savvy.)

I agree with Metlakatla that Fiverr is not the way to go. Why would you write an article or do anything, really, for $5? Your time is worth way more than that.

When things are slow with my own clients, I occasionally submit proposals on Scripted. You can name your price in your bid, so there's none of the nonsense with people who think they will be paying low fees for professional work. I can't really recommend any of the other bidding sites or content farms. They all seem to be bottom feeders, for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing