Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2018, 10:58 AM

4,173 posts, read 2,569,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Am I the only one who is driven crazy by otherwise educated people doing this on a regular basis? I just don't get it, it is basic English grammar that we should have learned in elementary school!

I cringe when I get emails from my manager at work, and she does this consistently in all of her emails, not to mention not being able to differentiate between "affect" and "effect".
Sigh, no. I'd rather zero in on what they are trying to say as I might learn something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2018, 11:05 AM

88,564 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlulu23 View Post
Sigh, no. I'd rather zero in on what they are trying to say as I might learn something.
Of course, but we get what the OP is saying. I am retired now, but my last director, who makes over $225K, constantly sent me incoherent emails. Worst of all , she had a habit of putting a space after a comma or a period . Like I just did there. Is that supposed to make someone look cute or unique or something? Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I don't have to follow the rules! I'm SPECIAL.

That's how it often comes across.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:06 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,257,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
“I like eating small children and pets.”

There's a good book on the subject, titled "Eats, Shoots, and Leaves".

Old 08-11-2018, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by Retroit View Post

Theirs a righting forum four these thing’s.

//www.city-data.com/forum/writing/

Specifically: Why do people insist on forming plurals with an apostrophe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Wow! Four mistakes in a seven word sentence!
That had to be deliberate, a fine example of the problem!
It's sarcasm, and it was pretty funny. At least that is how I took it.

Last edited by mlulu23; 08-11-2018 at 11:21 AM..

Old 08-11-2018, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
I have better things to do with my time then to correct anyone besides my children! Anyone who corrects someone else's grammar (unless you are a teacher in an English class) or their spelling, etc is just plain rude and quite petty IMHO! Go ahead....correct me.
Yes this ^^^^^ completely. Thank you.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course, but we get what the OP is saying. I am retired now, but my last director, who makes over $225K, constantly sent me incoherent emails. Worst of all , she had a habit of putting a space after a comma or a period . Like I just did there. Is that supposed to make someone look cute or unique or something? Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I don't have to follow the rules! I'm SPECIAL.

That space before a comma, or period is kind of odd. One of her idiosyncrasies I guess.

I'm sure some of my posts get on people's last nerve too for various reasons . I proofread like crazy, and it really burns me up when a mistake gets through too late to fix it, grrr. And no matter how many times affect, and effect is explained I still can't tell the difference. So then I agonize over it each, and every time I have to try, and decide which one is right in a sentence. So then someone whose sole goal in life is grammar, and punctuation will fuss, and fume over that particular error, and miss what it is that I was trying to say.

It makes them happy, and fulfilled to be "The Corrector", with red pencil in hand.

Old 08-11-2018, 11:37 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post

I cringe when I get emails from my manager at work, and she does this consistently in all of her emails, not to mention not being able to differentiate between "affect" and "effect". Here is a sample sentence from one of her group emails: "Professional nurse's should not be calling off this often, it effects everyone, not just you." This from a woman with a four year college degree!
This is exactly why the term "impact" (as a verb) gained currency. It's for use by people who can't get their mind around the difference between "effect" and "affect".

Old 08-11-2018, 11:40 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Of course, but we get what the OP is saying. I am retired now, but my last director, who makes over $225K, constantly sent me incoherent emails. Worst of all , she had a habit of putting a space BEFORE a comma or a period . Like I just did there. Is that supposed to make someone look cute or unique or something? Look at MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I don't have to follow the rules! I'm SPECIAL.

You mean, putting a space before a comma or period. Putting a space after a comma or period is what you're supposed to do.

Haha, yes, duh. Always fun when someone else catches my own mistakes. : But I corrected it.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 08-11-2018 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2018, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
This is exactly why the term "impact" (as a verb) gained currency. It's for use by people who can't get their mind around the difference between "effect" and "affect".
Oh thank you for this Ruth. I've been wanting to look up the synonyms for effect, and affect, but never thought of it at the right time, lol.

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/effect

https://www.thesaurus.com/browse/affect

-------------------------------------

Old 08-11-2018, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Such errors are especially amusing when the poster is attempting to assume a position of superior intelligence/knowledge, but his/her demonstration of writing shows that he/she is clearly lacking in both intelligence and knowledge. The misuse/ignorance of homonyms is funny enough, but what really gets me is those for whom the correct spelling of words having as few as two or three letters is clearly beyond their abilities.
Uneducated might be a better word than a lack of intelligence. Intelligence can be increased by way of education. Misusing a phrase, or making an error in grammar, or spelling doesn't indicate a lack of intelligence. Only that the person in question hasn't been educated in that area. Or just doesn't consider it very important in the overall scheme of things. They might be very highly skilled in something that you may not be. Would that make you unintelligent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing