Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2020, 01:48 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I have to look this one up every time I come across it. Maybe I should look up its origins to see if there's some connection between word and meaning that will help me remember.

"Origin of synecdoche. 1350–1400; < Medieval Latin < Greek synekdochḗ, equivalent to syn- syn- + ekdochḗ act of receiving from another, equivalent to ek- ec- + -dochē, noun derivative of déchesthai to receive."

oh well.
I can’t ever remember that one either. Luckily I don’t generally need to know the word. I like saying it though,
! Sounds like Schenectady.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 12:41 PM

10,894 posts, read 7,386,537 times
poutrage

Old 07-01-2020, 03:49 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
poutrage
Good word. New to me. Thanks!

Old 07-03-2020, 07:27 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
bloviate (I was just over on the Political Forum).

Old 07-04-2020, 11:18 AM

1,557 posts, read 1,157,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
bloviate (I was just over on the Political Forum).
LOL, good one. It even sounds like what it means. I looked up the source of bloviate and it is apparently associated with President Harding.. although he used it to mean something similar to "shooting the breeze" instead of "going on and on and on and on.."

Somehow, that search lead me to learning that the idiomatic expression "toe the line" is not what I thought it was- (I thought it was tow the line) I always pictured someone pulling a tow line of a boat through a canal which made sense to me.

My new word today is nous meaning common sense or horse sense. British. "Neither Victoria nor Albert were democrats in the modern sense of the word, but they had the political nous to adapt the monarchy for a world where democracy in its varied forms would one day be adopted." Thank you A. N. Wilson.

Odd, these days both bloviate and nous are frequently used to describe political abilities. (or the lack thereof)

Old 07-06-2020, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyMae521 View Post
LOL, good one. It even sounds like what it means. I looked up the source of bloviate and it is apparently associated with President Harding.. although he used it to mean something similar to "shooting the breeze" instead of "going on and on and on and on.."

Somehow, that search lead me to learning that the idiomatic expression "toe the line" is not what I thought it was- (I thought it was tow the line) I always pictured someone pulling a tow line of a boat through a canal which made sense to me.

My new word today is nous meaning common sense or horse sense. British. "Neither Victoria nor Albert were democrats in the modern sense of the word, but they had the political nous to adapt the monarchy for a world where democracy in its varied forms would one day be adopted." Thank you A. N. Wilson.

Odd, these days both bloviate and nous are frequently used to describe political abilities. (or the lack thereof)
I think the word bloviate just sounds like the sayings of a politician.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Dictionaries adding new words from abbreviations and slang used on the internet as well.

hangry = hungry + anger

Good thread..couldnt rep.
I love the word hangry. It is so descriptive.

Old 07-07-2020, 07:00 AM

2,525 posts, read 1,946,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
I love the word hangry. It is so descriptive.
Along those lines, we used to use the word "frizzing" when it was so cold it made your hair go frizzy.

Old 07-07-2020, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiveLoaves View Post
Along those lines, we used to use the word "frizzing" when it was so cold it made your hair go frizzy.
My family used that word in a totally different way.
I come from a long line of ranchers. We have all depended on good cow dogs to make our living, as one good dog can take the place of 2 worthless men.

The dogs are bred to be intelligent, but that intelligence can lead to problems, because smart dogs are still dogs, and they'll do what they think is the smartest first.
That is often a problem. When an over-eager dog does something wrong, it's a problem. But when a really intelligent over-eager dog does something wrong, that can be a life-threatening danger when someone is trying to manage animals that are really big, quite fast, and tend to be irritable and easily angered.

We call those dogs 'frizzers' in my family. They volunteer too quickly to do work we don't ask of them, and when they do, it's big trouble.

Smart dogs are usually the most correctible dogs, so sometimes, a frizzer is the best dog a person can have once he consistently does the right thing. But dogs are dogs; some frizzers just can't stay corrected.

So we give them away. They often make most excellent house pets, because the frizzers are always the dogs who want to please their humans the most.

In my family, it's bad luck to sell a good dog. If we give the good dogs away carefully, we'll always get a good dog in return when we need one.

A frizzer might not be a good working dog, but they can produce puppies that are.
Selling a good dog is a business deal. Giving a good dog away is a friendship. When you give the best to the best, the best always comes back around to you again.

A working dog's job is to care about what the cattle think. That's a harder thing for them to learn, and some never do. But when a frizzer learns that, they can be a marvel.

The very best cow dog I ever saw belonged to a cattle buyer. She was a miniature poodle who came to work in the boss's coat pocket. He would pick out the cow he wanted, pull her out, and she would go load the cow in the truck every time, with no words spoken. It was like watching a ghost terrorizing the cow into submission.

She was a white poodle, and was supposed to be a gift for his wife, but wasn't ever very white; more like a guacamole green if she had been working, making cattle nervous enough to go find safety in the truck.

She was so tiny, a cow who kicked at her would always miss. She would flatten out on the ground and the kick would sail over her with room to spare, every time.
Before the cow even knew she missed, the little stinking green dog would be up and nipping the cow's heels again. The cattle couldn't even see her most of the time, but she was a tiny little thunderbolt.

Back home, she was Mommy's dog again, so she always got a bath at the back door before she could come in the house.

There wasn't a rancher in this neck of the woods who wouldn't have eagerly coughed up $1000 for that little dog. She was too tiny to do anything but corral work, but on the job, she took the place of 4-5 men every day.

Last edited by banjomike; 07-07-2020 at 04:29 PM..

Old 07-07-2020, 04:16 PM

The above rant brings me to a new word I just heard for the first time yesterday.

A friend of mine said I'm a raconteur. He's a Lit professor who knows a lot of fancy language.

After looking it up, I guess I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing