U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2019, 01:49 PM

4,109 posts, read 1,612,805 times

Advertisements

It's an interesting piece, all of which is at the link. Here's an excerpt of the main points:

Quote:
1. Sheer egoism. Desire to seem clever, to be talked about, to be remembered after death, to get your own back on grown-ups who snubbed you in childhood, etc. etc. It is humbug to pretend that this is not a motive, a strong one. Writers share this characteristic with scientists, artists, politicians, lawyers, soldiers, successful businessmen— in short, with the whole top crust of humanity. The great mass of human beings are not acutely selfish. After the age of about thirty they abandon individual ambition—in many cases, indeed, they almost abandon the sense of being individuals at all—and live chiefly for others, or are simply smothered under drudgery. But there is also the minority of gifted, wilful people who are determined to live their own lives to the end, and writers belong in this class. Serious writers, I should say, are on the whole more vain and self-centered than journalists, though less interested in money.

2. Aesthetic enthusiasm. Perception of beauty in the external world, or, on the other hand, in words and their right arrangement. Pleasure in the impact of one sound on another, in the firmness of good prose or the rhythm of a good story. Desire to share an experience which one feels is valuable and ought not to be missed. The aesthetic motive is very feeble in a lot of writers, but even a pamphleteer or a writer of textbooks will have pet words and phrases which appeal to him for non-utilitarian reasons; or he may feel strongly about typography, width of margins, etc. Above the level of a railway guide, no book is quite free from aesthetic considerations.

3. Historical impulse. Desire to see things as they are, to find out true facts and store them up for the use of posterity.

4. Political purpose—using the word “political” in the widest possible sense. Desire to push the world in a certain direction, to alter other people’s idea of the kind of society that they should strive after. Once again, no book is genuinely free from political bias. The opinion that art should have nothing to do with politics is itself a political attitude.
http://srjcstaff.santarosa.edu/~mheydon/whywriteD.pdf
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 04:23 PM

29,487 posts, read 71,233,868 times
Pretty much just number 1 for me.

I am not sure I understand number 2. It seems like it is well identified as number 2. I do not think I have any pet phrases, but I do have a pet phrase I would like to get rid of ("wow just wow," or "stop just stop," or "no just no," etc). I guess if I could write a book that would end that nonsense forever, I would jump at the opportunity. Maybe I should not scoff at number 2 entirely.

3 I am not sure I get, but I do like to do extensive historical research and then bring the facts to live with fictional characters and using fictional explanations of events that are vaguely recorded in history.

4. No. I am not that arrogant. I have no delusion that will will push people in some political direction. I do like to make fun of politics though. Maybe that counts for number 4.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:02 PM

20,696 posts, read 61,930,802 times
#2 relates to the art form itself. Examples abound, and the influence of the web and the changes by crappy HTML and crappy browsers and tiny phone screens are making people less aware. Look at the original works of Blake, chapbooks, and concrete poetry for examples of the word as art, where placement and style are crucial.

#4 ANY statement of opinion is political in the sense meant. If a person honestly has no intent to influence, that person remains completely silent. Example - there are threads that I read and could add to or comment on, but I don't, even though I might not agree with what the thread contains. All communication is an attempt to influence in some manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing