Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2020, 03:34 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times

Advertisements

I am taking an Udemy writing course about novel writing, and the instructor, who is a published author, said that your main character, which she calls "hero" of your book, must undergo a character transformation and become a different person by the end of the book. She says this is crucial to writing the novel.

However, my main character is not a "hero" and doesn't become a better person, in fact he winds up in jail. Although he does go through a transformation in the book, becoming a different person, changing. i don't want to rewrite everything to make him some "better" person, necessarily, and he is not a hero. So I really don't know what to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2020, 11:04 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times
That's a transformation. The transformation is necessary, but it doesn't have to be a happy one. Or even a very big one.

Ask your instructor, but I'm sure your manuscript would meet the requirement. The hero of any book can be an anti-hero and it will work just fine.
No need to make him better. He can become rotten and the transformation can be as satisfying as if he was a good guy.

That was the transformation in the Breaking Bad series, and that transformation was one of the most dramatically satisfying, arresting, and popular as anything that has ever been written.

Old 03-07-2020, 06:25 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's a transformation. The transformation is necessary, but it doesn't have to be a happy one. Or even a very big one.

Ask your instructor, but I'm sure your manuscript would meet the requirement. The hero of any book can be an anti-hero and it will work just fine.
No need to make him better. He can become rotten and the transformation can be as satisfying as if he was a good guy.

That was the transformation in the Breaking Bad series, and that transformation was one of the most dramatically satisfying, arresting, and popular as anything that has ever been written.
Thanks.

Old 04-17-2020, 02:36 PM

9 posts, read 6,336 times
I agree with you guys, Transformation is important but not compulsory

Old 04-17-2020, 05:29 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Nothing is compulsory, unless you want ot write stock based redundancy built on a model (like romance novels are wtirren)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing