Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 05:47 PM

5,988 posts, read 3,731,946 times

Advertisements

Part of using correct grammar is simply knowing the definition of words, particularly words that are similar in meaning and perhaps similar in spelling, but yet not exactly the same thing.

A few examples from the discussion above... just off the top of my head.

"Affect" is a verb. "Effect" is a noun. If you don't know the difference between a verb and a noun, you should learn that first.

"Fewer" refers to a smaller quantity of something that is usually measured by counting. "Less" refers to a smaller quantity of something that is usually measured by weight or volume.

"Has" is a verb that is used when the subject of the sentence is singular. "Have" is a verb that is used when the subject of the sentence is plural.

I learned these definitions and how to diagram sentences in about the 8th grade. It puzzles me how anyone could graduate college without knowing 8th grade English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2020, 06:15 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,708,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMC1984 View Post
I disagree with the use of Word and YouTube. Use them, but also use Grammarly. Copy and paste things that people write in the comments then find out why they are incorrect.
Word is my standard writing platform. It works for what I do, and I know it. There's nothing wrong with tools. It's just a matter of using them correctly. I've never used Grammarly. I use YouTube when I need to replace the belt on my dryer or to watch old videos from my 1980s adolescence. I'm sure it has other uses.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:40 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
Part of using correct grammar is simply knowing the definition of words, particularly words that are similar in meaning and perhaps similar in spelling, but yet not exactly the same thing.

A few examples from the discussion above... just off the top of my head.

"Affect" is a verb. "Effect" is a noun. If you don't know the difference between a verb and a noun, you should learn that first.
'Effect' can also be a verb meaning 'to bring about' as in "...effect a change..."

Quote:
"Fewer" refers to a smaller quantity of something that is usually measured by counting. "Less" refers to a smaller quantity of something that is usually measured by weight or volume.

"Has" is a verb that is used when the subject of the sentence is singular. "Have" is a verb that is used when the subject of the sentence is plural.

I learned these definitions and how to diagram sentences in about the 8th grade. It puzzles me how anyone could graduate college without knowing 8th grade English.
Unfortunately, it seems to be all too common these days. When I was in grade school 50 years ago, this stuff was pounded into our heads. Once upon a time there was a national test on things like this, I scored in the top 2%. Of course, I was also a voracious reader so I imagine I learned a lot more than my classmates.

There have been times when I have been responsible for hiring employees. I can't tell you how many resumes I have read from college graduates that were rife with spelling errors and bad grammar. Those resumes went straight into the trash barrel.

I cringe when I read these forums, and people who can't spell three-letter words expect to be taken seriously.

Old 10-10-2020, 06:50 PM

3,346 posts, read 2,200,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2x3x29x41 View Post
Word is my standard writing platform. It works for what I do, and I know it.
I know of no better writing tool. It does help if you strip the crap out of the menus and ribbons, customize the settings and write a few macros.

But the grammar check is largely useless. I can't think of a time I fixed something to make it happy.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:15 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Other than in being able to teach others to parse sentences, what value does this practice have?
I agree. Diagramming sentences is a waste of time.

Old 10-10-2020, 10:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
'Effect' can also be a verb meaning 'to bring about' as in "...effect a change..."

Unfortunately, it seems to be all too common these days. When I was in grade school 50 years ago, this stuff was pounded into our heads. Once upon a time there was a national test on things like this, I scored in the top 2%. Of course, I was also a voracious reader so I imagine I learned a lot more than my classmates.

There have been times when I have been responsible for hiring employees. I can't tell you how many resumes I have read from college graduates that were rife with spelling errors and bad grammar. Those resumes went straight into the trash barrel.

I cringe when I read these forums, and people who can't spell three-letter words expect to be taken seriously.
Yes, effect can be used as a vowel, and affect, with a different pronunciation can be used as a noun,
But you can google this and memorize the rule with exceptions.

How many of us use further and further correctly?

How many of us use like In preference for as if?

But I went to school in the 1950s and certainly was taught grammar. But I learned the language from reading. I’ve retained almost nothing of what I was taught. But it also helped that my parents spoke good English in our home.

Read. Google questions about grammar rules. Buy a modern grammar book for reference. These are all good options.

Old 10-11-2020, 05:05 AM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I too learned American English in the 50's and early 60's. From what I remember we were given mostly verbal instruction as to grammar. Although we had books, our teachers slowly and progressively taught us. At that time American English was a popular method that supposedly cut down on superfluous thought conveyance through grammar. I can't remember any specific examples now but I learned at the time American English was supposed to be clear and concise so as to express one's thoughts with minimum wording.
I think now-days people too readily put down the first word or words that come to mind and put "powder and lipstick" in their sentences in an attempt to appear more "intelligent". As an example the noun "preventative" by definition means "preventive". When I see preventative in a sentence I personally start reading much more carefully to weed out, in my mind, all the "powder and lipstick" to get to the real meaning the writer is trying to get across.
Perhaps, one could start with learning which word, by definition, most completely expresses his/her thoughts in a sentence. That might help. Sometimes people use synonyms instead of taking the time to find the word they truly need to use, thereby making English grammar even more difficult to follow.
A good place for a person to see examples of proper American English is older technical manuals or books that are meant to instruct or inform. Older encyclopedias may also help. An old set we have seems to be quite grammatically correct in American English. As to breaking down sentences, I got lost on this process after diagramming subject and verb. I was lazy. I think diagramming sentences would probably help out, if you have the fortitude.

Old 10-11-2020, 04:27 PM

652 posts, read 521,424 times
I would use Grammarly but I'm concerned about the site hacking my data (credit card number, passwords, etc). And even if I downloaded Grammarly I would still want to deeply study Grammar.

Last edited by FrankAce; 10-11-2020 at 04:45 PM..

Old 10-11-2020, 07:14 PM

832 posts, read 466,346 times
I had almost forgotten I have a grammar book you might be interested in. It is small about 3 X 4 X 3/4" I think so you can take it anywhere.
"Instant English Handbook" copyright 1968. Published by Career Institute which means to me precise and concise grammar. I bought it specifically because of it's age and being grammar I had more or less grown up with.

I hope you can find a copy as I really think this might be just what you are looking for. It goes as deep as one might wish but is small enough to carry and mercifully has no diagrams.

Old 10-11-2020, 07:53 PM

652 posts, read 521,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amil23 View Post
I had almost forgotten I have a grammar book you might be interested in. It is small about 3 X 4 X 3/4" I think so you can take it anywhere.
"Instant English Handbook" copyright 1968. Published by Career Institute which means to me precise and concise grammar. I bought it specifically because of it's age and being grammar I had more or less grown up with.

I hope you can find a copy as I really think this might be just what you are looking for. It goes as deep as one might wish but is small enough to carry and mercifully has no diagrams.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therblig View Post
Being a technical grammar expert does not make you a better writer.

Just sayin'.

Yes, I know. I believe reading a lot would help with that. I'm currently reading "Flowers for Algernon."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Writing